Sign in to follow this  
outlaw2001it

Out of memory - Crash to Desktop (CTD)

Greetings,

I've been flying throughout the U.S., and Europe for the past few years, and never had a problem until about a month ago. Was flying around Germany/France/Uk when I started to get CTD's. Couldn't figure out the problem so I went through my scenery one at a time, and still couldn't solve the problem. Solved one problem with Flytampa's Athens scenery...but that's for another topic. A few months ago I bought Static Aircraft MDL Maker 2 (SAMM2), and started to make my own static aircraft. Not realizing at the time that some of the aircraft that i made were huge (larger than most terminals). I didn't think anything about it, until just recently. Some of the aircraft in WOAI are huge...too large for FS9 to handle...even with 4 GB patch. I removed one package, and problem was solved...no CTD's anywhere in Europe. If you are having CTD's, and are using WOAI these packages could either be deleted, or use Lee Swordy's AFCAD (Aircraft Editor) to change the radius of the following packages:

KLM
Virgin Atlantic

I can't remember what specific aircraft in each package were involved...but look for anything that has a radius of over 40, and change it to less (-10 for each one should do).

There might be other packages causing CTD's...but these were the only that I have found so far.

Happy Flying

J.R. Duda

Greetings,

A few months ago I bought Static Aircraft MDL Maker 2 (SAMM2), and started to make my own static aircraft. Not realizing at the time that some of the aircraft that i made were huge (larger than most terminals

I have been using SAMM for a long time and have made many hundreds of static aircraft - all of them quite small in size.  Just don't understand how you could make them so big??!!  Have you thought of raising this issue with the developer?

Dijvid

The issue isn't with SAMM2 the issue is getting out of memory errors, I never got them before until recently when I installed WOAI packages. I was using Ultimate Traffic for many years, just wanted to see what the difference was using WOAI. I started to get out of memory errors flying around Germany, UK, France, Netherlands. As I stated earlier when I made static aircraft using SAMM2 i noticed that some of the aircraft were huge. I opened up the aircraft editor in Lee Swordy's AFCAD, and that's when I noticed that some of the aircraft (from The Fruit Stand) were larger than any other packages in WOAI, and Ultimate Traffic. I first deleted the WOAI KLM package, and my out of memory errors completely stopped. I reinstalled to make sure it wasn't a fluke...out of memory errors again occurred. I reinstalled the KLM package, and adjusted the radius in AFCAD to aircraft radius's in other packages...no out of memory errors. I hope that this will help people experiencing out of memory errors (even with the 4GB Patch by NTCore)...I can only say that it has worked for me.

J.R.

Any sudden and unexpected "Out of Memory" (OOM) error is in my experience and after many hours of "trial and error" testing, always caused by something which is programmable but has somehow recently become corrupt, e.g. a panel instrument, a light, an effect, etc. and which is directly related to the aircraft you are flying in. My solution: Replace the panel and/or it's instruments from your backup files or re-install them from scratch. The same should be done for all effects found in the aircraft's cfg file.

A static object being very large ? I have these as well in my static object libraries but via any of the placement tools, e.g. the Abacus EZ program and/or RWY12, these can simply be scaled down during placement and have never caused OOM errors in my 12 years of FS9 experience, at least not yet !!

Only once have I experienced that a downloaded AI aircraft had an incorrect (far) too large parking radius. The only result was that it kept disappearing immediately after landing and that it refused to appear at it's departure airport. However, visually it seemed to have nothing wrong with it.

Regards.

Hans

I hope that this will help people experiencing out of memory errors (even with the 4GB Patch by NTCore)...

"Out of memory" doesn't mean a lak of memory. It's just the way to notify that FS isn't able to handle an incompatible file. As said above, mostly it's due to a bad AI aircraft or a scenery. However I never got OOM's due to uncorrect parking size, Either they are too small, and the aircraft don't appear.

I rather think that decreasing the parking radius prevented an AI aircraft with corrupted texture from showing up.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

"Out of Memory" does mean what it says, except that it specifically means "Out of usable memory", rather than talking about the amount of memory your computer has. FS2004 is not built to use all of your computer's memory.

There are all sorts of issues that will cause this. Take a look at my page at http://www.adventure-unlimited.org/faultfinding.php for a range of solutions. Unfortunately the Windows error reporting system of modern operating systems isn't as explicit as it was with XP (which is what that page was written for) but the solutions are no different.

Only stabbing in the dark, but I am thinking that WOAI installs new AFD files with the flight plans? If so. I am thinking there is every possiblilty you have multiple AFD files for a single airport which is fine in normal circumstances but if they contain different base coordinates you will have exactly this trouble, So if you have an add-on Eurpean airport already installed (with different co-ordinates) and WOAI has installed its own, that could be the problem.

There are lots of other solutions to look at but that's favourite if this has only occurred after installation of WOAI.

Hoping this helps,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I highly doubt WOAI is causing the issue because there are many people running hundred of WOAI packs in both FS9 and FSX and haven't had an OOM from it unless something was missing a texture or had some fault to it. Also AI doesn't increase VAS as much as one might think, typically lots of AI can cause FPS issues but not OOMS.

I seriously think something else is the fault and not the amount of WOAI installed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I also think there was a missing or corrupt texture in the KLM and Virgin Atlantic WOAI packs, and that reducing the parking radius would prevent the affected models from appearing. WOAI doesn't install it's own AFCAD's btw, I think Just Flight's Traffic series is the only one that does? I have the latest WOAI packages for KLM and Virgin Atlantic installed and they are working fine, so if the OP were to delete his existing packages and install the latest ones I'm sure the CTD's would stop.

• Upvote 1