Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

PSS and the War on Piracy.

Guest wathomas777

Today, PSS fired a huge salvo on piracy by publishing a letter sent to a "known pirate" with his e-mail information and name included. They went further by encouraging others in the Flight Simulation community to e-mail said pirate and tell him what we think.While everyone on this board recognizes the intellectual rights of software publishers and does not approve of piracy on any level, it's safe to assume that most of us find PSS actions in this case completely inappropriate.Let's ignore the fact that PSS did not give the "accused" due process and simply acted as judge, jury, and executioner, citing that they had undeniable proof in this area. Isn't it Ironic, that PSS, is based in the UK, where the right to a trial and the "concept" of due process originated?Let's ignore the fact that PSS ignored and violated their own privacy statement which reads as follows directly from their website: "Third PartiesWe will not provide any of your personal information to other companies or individuals without your permission. However, we may need to provide your name and e-mail address to third parties that www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk uses for the purposes of delivering specific services to you (e.g., customer support.) "....hmmm, I wonder if posting your e-mail address on a public forum and encouraging other flight simmers to e-mail you and harrass you is one of the specific "services" they are delivering. (I guess two "wrongs" do make a right!!!!):Let's assume that the "accused" was indeed the biggest software pirate this side of Blackbeard himself.This still does not justify the actions of the "injured party". Judging from what I have read, PSS has not only opened the doors for legal action from their "accuser" but has also lost at least 5 potential customers, myself included, due to their actions. The economics of this are staggering. Catch one pirate, lose 5 customers. Sounds like a GREAT way to stay in business.Keep up the good work guys, pretty soon you will not have to worry about piracy anymore, because you will have alienated your entire customer base to the point where you will no longer be in business.

I can only hope this "pirate" does in fact pursue legal action. Rest assured they have lost me as a future customer as well.

I just finished posting a reply to Phoenix's comments. The comments "loose lips sink ships" certainly apply in this case. Why didn't Phoenix have the smarts to do what Lago did. They stayed abreast of the pirated keys circulating for their product, and coded them into a service update. When the pirates ran the service update--BANG! Now that is sweet justice.-John

There are two or three companies who handle piracy in a very unprofessional manner. These companies have lost many customers, and I can't help it wonder why they don't reevaluate their policy towards these matters. The overzelous nature of protecting a product becomes destructive when you have individuals who swear off buying anything in the future for fear of a potential litigation, or at least the loss of being able to use said product. This has been the case for one company in particular who insist on revoking a license when users change motherboards or IP addresses. I know if I build a new computer, the whole system will be different, thus only the IP would provide a possible link to the license holder, however, not all ISPs use static IPs. Very unfortunate.Piracy prevention is becoming a problem for those who just want what they paid for. Look at Half-Life 2 and the problems they've created. It's bad enough the CD has to remain in the tray with these games. At what cost are consumers going to have to pay, just to enjoy a product?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Paul Heaney

Why ANOTHER thread on this? WHY????

Guest wathomas777

I agree with you. A developer has the right to revoke your license for nearly whatever he see's fit. I can accept that. I may not like it, but a license is simply a license. I am not "purchasing" software. It remains the property of the developer. I merely purchase the right to USE the software. Should I violate my license agreement, then I lose my right to use the software. Just like driving a car. The DMV does not refund me on all the license fee's I paid when my drivers license is revoked. Nor should a software company be required to refund my money, should they revoke my license based on my violating the license.Where I DO draw the line, however, is when said company violates their own privacy agreement, and knowingly, and with malice aforethought releases my private information to the internet with the sole purpose of "punishing" me.When a company crosses THAT line, I can't trust that company with the personal information I have given them. If I can't trust them not to release my name or e-mail address, then how can I trust them to keep my credit card and other financial information safe? Especially in a day and age where identity theft is epidemic.This is not an example where a company should have "handled it better". This is a clear case in which a company has proven, with it's actions, that they can not be trusted with the important personal and financial information that they are required to safeguard to allow them to remain in business.Just as I don't do business with businesses that "post" bounced check violators and THEIR personal information in the form of the cancelled check, for all to see. I don't do business with individuals who will willingly divulge a customers private information for the sole purpose of humiliating or otherwise damaging said customer.PSS had the right to revoke any and all licenses it had with said customer and purse legal action as appropriate. But it's rights stopped there. When they posted the persons personal information on the internet, they not only exceeded their authority, but proved to me and countless others, that they can not be trusted to safeguard the minimum information required to perform a simple financial transaction.

Guest wathomas777

I am at fault for that and apologize because I thought the other thread was locked, so I posted this thread first. When I saw the other thread was not locked, then I joined the conversation already in progress.Again, I'm sorry, but it was my mistake.

Guest DNelson

Well, it is locked now. I just waded through it, and it was obvious that NO ONE on that thread was defending piracy. After seeing Phoenix1 rant like a five-year-old, you can add me to the list of permanent PSS non-customers.

As I have stated in the other thread I will certainly continue to buy products from PSS. They are excellent value for money. I really could not care less, how PSS deals with pirates and if they make the private data of such an individual public or not.Sorry, but IMHO it is absolutely ridiculous to stop buying products for such a reason. If ones claim of morality and political correctness are always that high, than he consequently has to stop buying anything.Wolfgang :-wave

Guest ba747heavy

I appreciate the civility that the posts in this thread have maintained. My first reaction was to lock this thread without a second thought, but after reading through I will let this thread live as long as no personal attacks are made, and only legit conversation on this subject ensues. This is a sensitive subject and I won't hesitate to lock. Your cooperation is appreciated :)

>Sorry, but IMHO it is absolutely ridiculous to stop buying>products for such a reason. If ones claim of morality and>political correctness are always that high, than he>consequently has to stop buying anything.Well, I don't think I'd characterize anyone's concern over another person or company's integrity "ridiculous," because after all is said, the most often overlooked and uncounted asset of any business is that nebulous quantity known as "Customer Goodwill."Having slept on the matter overnight, I'm inclined to suggest that everyone give PSS another chance to rebuild their admittedly damaged "Customer Goodwill."If we are at all honest with ourselves, we've all been guilty at some point in our lives of making errors of judgement, and doing or saying some incredibly stupid things... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Paul Heaney

Why give them another chance? PSS Had made NO EFFORT to correct what they have done, so why even consider giving them another chance? I certainly will not.

"Sorry, but IMHO it is absolutely ridiculous to stop buying products for such a reason. If ones claim of morality and political correctness are always that high, than he consequently has to stop buying anything."It is not a matter of being politically correct. Phoenix chose to label us as (in my words) "pirate defenders" because we questioned his actions. I consider that a slander on my character as well as those who were in agreement with me. It has nothing to do with being politically correct. Phoenix chose to personally attack us. I won't spend a dime on any of his products. Nor would I buy a car from a car salesman who attempted "put down" type tactics. I've always been in line to agree with you--name just about any company, and you can find something morally questionable. This isn't about that--it's about a company that chose to attact us personally in these threads. Meanwhile, Mr. Pirate is probably laughing away, since the real problem--piracy--has been clouded by a vendor who chose attack opinion, rather than solicit it.And God forbid the guy has children. Phoenix's attempts to incite are a threat to anyone related to the guy--and I don't consider "family retribution" acceptable in any society, although I understand it's in wide practice in North Korea. -John

Guest nutmeat

I have to agree with John. Any vendor who feels at odds with its customer base surely cannot be trusted with private data or honor their commitments to said customer base. I have removed PSS from my "Favorites" list and do not plan to purchase from them in the future.Increasingly, we see instances where companies seem to think that the customer is there solely for the purpose of takeing advantage of. Is is any wonder then that there are individuals willing to take whatever advantages they can against a company?I surely do not condone piracy but I also place a high degree of respect for the privacy of the individual. I believe that a better level of respect on both sides will be needed before any conditions improve.Larry S.

Because they're a bunch of immature whiners who won't stop at anything until PSS is destroyed.They've been at it for years. In the beginning I thought it was jealousy at their success, later I started to see patterns hinting at competitors wanting to get rid of a major competitor.Now, I don't know anymore. It looks ever more to be indeed just a bunch of jealous kids combined with the entire community of software pirates in the FS community.