Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gordius

How long do you spend flying?

Guest dpc

For me 1 hour is a looooong flight. Typically I will fly a few circuits around a single location in anything ranging from a cessna to C-5. Circuits in larger aircraft tend to be military. Or if I do fly point to point it will be flights of no more than about 45 minutes chalk to chalk. If I do a "long haul" flight, I take off and climb to cruise, then us FSNavigator to move my A/C to just before BOD, then do the landing.What I find these days is that I actually spend more time surfing the various sites about FS then I actually spend using the sim. Kinda strange.Dave

Guest Rockcliffe

>For me 1 hour is a looooong flight. Typically I will fly a>few circuits around a single location in anything ranging from>a cessna to C-5. Circuits in larger aircraft tend to be>military. Or if I do fly point to point it will be flights of>no more than about 45 minutes chalk to chalk. If I do a "long>haul" flight, I take off and climb to cruise, then us>FSNavigator to move my A/C to just before BOD, then do the>landing.>>What I find these days is that I actually spend more time>surfing the various sites about FS then I actually spend using>the sim. Kinda strange.>>DaveWhat he said. :-)BlairCYOW

Guest cmhodge

For me, nothing can compare to the thrill of the transition from earth to sky, and the (safely) back from sky to earth. Therefore I do a lot of pattern flying. With real world weather this never gets boring. Mostly GA craft. I'm a busy dad with only one long flying session a week, so that might have something to do with this preference.Last night (flying night!) I buzzed around Anchorage in a Tripacer, landing at various airfields large and small.I'm starting to learn instrument flying, so I'm beginning to understand the allure of long flights (it was a mystery to me before). I recenty did a 45 minute instrument flight (VOR to VOR), taking off in heavy snow near dusk. It was pure magic all the way. --Chris

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Today I flew the ** B-29 from Atlanta Hartsfield to Will Rogers in OKC, and I had a go-around when I got there (I don't mind 'em now and again). All told, I was "in-sim" 3.2 hours. I never paused, never got up, never sped-up time. The longest flight I've sat through thus far. Slightly boring at FL250, but I used some of the time on autopilot to read up on the Superfortress and drink some Code Red. Took over controls at the start of descent about 90nm out.I think I'll start flying some more long-ish flights like this. As long as it's not over an ocean or desert, I should be okay.Oh, and I've had a somewhat modest gut for about 15 years now, and only 2 years simming...so I can't correlate simming to gut-ness :-lol-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.Lean Mixture: Nonalcoholic beer

Guest ssurjap

It really depends on the flight. I've flown a couple of trans-atlantic for 6 hours straight (no time compression), but the majority of my flights are between 1 and 4 hours.

Guest beana51

HI, I guess long minuets,or long hours.I stay with my roots in general aviation. SEL, slow,and low.Like to visit all the airports in a given area,,and stop at each one for a coffee.Often a currant chart is in my lap.A E6B,in hand, and the course plotted out. A timepiece helps.I know it sounds like GOLDEN WINGS,but it is not boring.Real time weather is great also. Heavy metal is fun also. However long hauls,on autopilot makes my butt sore.Just like real flight.Before long ,I'm watching the movie.Bottom line is ,what ever brings "FUN" too you,why thats the way to go.The more you apply real world rules to FS9, the better it is.Otherwise it can be just a game,(perish the thought). " HAVE FUN" VIN

Guest dolb

I try to keep flights (Even Long haul) Under 2 hours, This includes time acceleration.

Guest jennifer

Jappang wrote:-".....Thanks to Civilization IV, my flying time is virtually zero lately...."You wait 'til Civiliisation V comes out. It'll have AI and customizable scenery...!!

Just got Civilization IV a few days ago (but I've played it since Civ I) and sat down yesterday for a short session. Started about 9 o'clock in the evening and when my wife entered the room asking if I'm coming to bed soon, I realized it was half past four in the morning. 3 hours of sleep and then up to work. And all day long now I've been sitting making strategies how to take out those pesky neighbouring Greeks with their darn infantry without involving their almighty allied the English. Tanks!! I Need Tanks!!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest tango_d

Would just love to spend more time on this great sim. Sadly my nagging wife, a half built extension to the house, and the prospects of kids looming in the future - probably no more than 2 hours at a time :( RgsEd

Generally, I try to keep flights under about 3 to 3.5 hours. Now I've done some longer flights for my VA (Delta Virtual); the longest being Narita-Atlanta, 12.2 hours in the iFDG MD-11. I started it on a Saturday night, disconnected from VATSIM, went to bed, woke up Sunday morning to find myself over the Midwest on course, reconnected, and finished it. The longest one I've done that I stayed awake for was EDDF-KATL, about 9 hours. And yes, I was alt-tabbed out for most of the flight surfing the Internet, or puttering around doing other things and coming back every few minutes to see if someone was calling me. I do almost all my VA flights online on VATSIM so I can't use time compression or just get up and walk away. Most of my VA flights are shorter-range stuff (the DF 727 being my favorite) of around three hours. I like using the 727 because there's a bit more to it than "follow the purple line"; I use the CIVA INS gauge, and have to continually reprogram waypoints since it only holds nine at a time. Or I'll fly VOR to VOR for more involvement and challenge.I have an idea for a GA flight forming in my head, sort of the ultimate ferry flight...from northwestern Alaska to Bonaire in the southern Caribbean, probably in the Dreamfleet A36. If I do this I'll be breaking it up into segments of no more than three hours (even though the tip-tank version of the plane will go 7+ at a stretch), and it'll literally take me months to fly as I get time here and there. Most of my GA stuff is under 2.5 hours.Lewis "Moose" GregoryRichmond, Virginia

Guest bobsk8

I have found that 1-2 hours is about my limit, and I do all of these in the LevelD 767. I disagree with the posts giving the impression that the 767 is limited to long haul flights. Many airlines use the 767 for short hauls on routes such as Orlando to Atlanta, Vegas to LAX etc..... That is the primary reason that I chose the 767 over the 747. I haven't used the save function on the Level D yet, as most of my flights are on Vatsim, but I might give that a try one day and just sign on and off the Vatsim server when I save and restart. One thing I never use is the time compression. To me that takes all the fun out of Flying FS9, I mean why even bother flying FS9 at all.

I prefer to fly general aviation or corporate aviation aircraft. These are mostly short flights that are no more than an hour or so. Any flight over an hour and I use the autopilot and speed up the time x8 between navaids. It would be nice to have all the time in the world, but unfortunately house, job, wife, etc. take up most of my time, as they should. :DKevin