Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

ORBX PAVD just released...

I was going to buy this.

$40.xx ?!?!?!??! For a single, very small airport footprint?  This used to be the asking price for a fat region, (and not too long ago, at that...) covering thousands of sq. miles.

ORBX titles have become singularly, and simply, expensive.

Pass,

I guess this is now ORBX, and I guess, that I will be happy with what I have already bought in their catalog.

That's their new price structure they announced some time ago. It's not an exception. Region prices were raised, too.

I bought it (not yet installed) but I doubt this scheme will do well. ORBX was already highly priced, but now they might have crossed a line where their margin will stagnate, at the cost of loosing customers.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

That is $40 AU, about $31 US according to the Flight Sim Store.

Joe Lorenc

I'm passing on this too.  

I have always rushed to buy Orbx anything but this really is taking the p*ss

I'll pass,

Nathan Brennan

Bought it, installed it and it is absolutely brilliant - worth every cent. The whole area looks and performs great.

There are definitely many worse ways to spend AUD$40.

Jack

• Upvote 1

Jack Johnston

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

agreed. and it requires alaska region as well. I it was your home airport that you fly out of in real life, i could see justifying this cost, BUT seriously you fly a few times and usually move on to other stuff. I don't know anyone that gets one of these and flies for weeks there, nope. usually load it and fly a few circuits or maybe take off FROM there and then your off to other stuff. So not worth that price to me. I emphasize to me being i know some of you will try to argue my point. This is just that... my point of view.... not trying to argue with those that justify the price to themselves. :) 

The guys had to buy certainly expensive ortho-imagery, have spent hundreds if not thousands of men*hours to do the design of  the terrain (colorimetry, mesh, etc.), make the objects (vegetations, buildings, accessories, boats etc.) or buy them to a subcontractor (ObjectFlow) then adapt the product to 5 plateforms. Also add the margin of the distributor and corporate costs. All that to sell maybe less than 1000 copies (Valdez is no doubt popular but in a limited fringe of simmers). 

You find that 30 USD/27 EUR is expensive ? Strange world where people want value for nothing. What do you want to pay, 25 bucks instead of 30   ? What do you get for 5 bucks in your everyday life ?

The time of dirt cheap products is gone and we should happy for that as we get so much more now (aircraft and sceneries...).

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Strange world world where people want value for nothing.

It's not really about that.

If you consider that people have already invested £32 for the SAK region, then to pay another £23 for a mini detailed region within that region doesn't really make financial sense Gone are the days where one could randomly fork money our for a small airport only to use it once or twice. Smaller airprts are just becoming a tad too expensive and people are going to be much more picky about which they choose to buy or not.

It's not about wanting something for nothing - its is becoming much more about the added value for the available money you spend on flightsimming.

It's not really about that.  

If you consider that people have already invested £32 for the SAK region, then to pay another £23 for a mini detailed region within that region doesn't really make financial sense    Gone are the days where one could randomly fork money our for a small airport only to use it once or twice.   Smaller airprts are just becoming a tad too expensive and people are going to be much more picky about which they choose to buy or not.   

It's not about wanting something for nothing - its is becoming much more about the added value of the budget you have available to spend on flightsimming 

If you intend to fly there once or twice and already own SAK you may look twice before buying. Very understandable. But then it won't be because it is expensive per se but  because its relative value for you is not obvious.

This is different that complaining about the price.... Come on, please,  27 EUR/30 USD is cheap.  The guys will make a little money for it. I am glad they do for bringing me something I like and cannot do myself.

The FS industry has made huge strides know-how wise, quality-wise the last five/eight years. Price went up. And thats good. This is a simmer for 36 years who writes that...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

If you intend to fly there once or twice and already own SAK you may look twice before buying. Very understandable. But then it won't be because it is expensive per se but  because its relative value for you is not obvious.

This is different that complaining about the price.... Come on, please,  27 EUR/30 USD is cheap.  The guys will make a little money for it. I am glad they do for bringing me something I like and cannot do myself.

The FS industry has made huge strides know-how wise, quality-wise the last five/eight years. Price went up. And thats good. This is a simmer for 36 years who writes that...

I don't disagree.  But cheap has become a relative term.    It is exactly because the industry has exploded with development and options that people are more inclined to seek out relative value.

ORBX airports are hard to beat, and Alaska is a great region to fly, never boring, especially with challenging weather!

I could spend the same amount of money taking my wife to a mediocre restaurant, one and done.  But an airport like this tucked into some exciting scenery will bring me many more hours of simming pleasure.

JOHN