Sign in to follow this  

Stick position in flight- DIY Stick Plinth for accuracy.

I wanted to recreate the cockpit positioning of the stick for flying stick controlled A/C - amongst other things my favourite aircraft - the Diamond Star DA-42 - but this is a general positioning of the flight stick and good for pretty much everything else that has a single stick as supposed to a yoke.

I made it from 18mm ply for the base and the top plate. The riser is a piece of PAR 2" x 2".

It feels pretty much where it should be - I've taken the controls of the DA-42 in RW and the positioning of the Thrustmaster now feels pretty much where the RW controls are.

Definitely assists the immersion...after all, if things aren't where they should be in the Sim then you're not getting the aircraft on a fairly fundamental basis.

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

p1alups4mb6okg1i18b9mds5kn6.jpg

Getting physical positioning right within the sim cockpit is essential not only for immersion - if one is familiar with the type RW but also to just do it correctly and take full advantage of flight dynamics/ feel/ etc of the aircraft.

Dead easy to make. Value for money? Sky's the limit!

Nicely done! :cool:

I still have my HOTAS X sitting on my lap! I need to at least build some kind of tray so that I can undo the throttle module from the stick and have them some distance apart.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)