Hi, I'm releasing a cross-platform multiplayer client for joining FSX (boxed), FSX:SE and Prepar3D (possibly X-Plane at some point).

Available here, http://pmem.uk/joinfs.

Here's a list of current features:
Pilots can join with different simulator versions FSX (Boxed), FSX:Steam, Prepar3D. (Possibly X-Plane in future).
Record aircraft and play back recordings live to other pilots in a network. Overdub new aircraft onto a recording.
Animations are transmitted over the network; landing gear, elevator, ailerons, rudder, propeller, canopy, lights and smoke.
Pilots can be present on virtual ATC networks at the same time as JoinFS. This means that all aircraft in the JoinFS network will be shown using smooth low-latency movement.

It's free to use (donation-ware).

Thanks,
Peter

• Upvote 2

Looks good. One question. Does it suffer from the jitters? Other cross platform multiplayer programs (FSHost, FSCloud to name a couple, are terrible for this. It makes formation flying to say the least, difficult. One moment you're 100yds behind, the next a hundred yards ahead. I'm sure you know what I mean.

If you've cracked that problem you'll have a winner on your hands.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi Ron, yes, it is jitter-free. As long as you limit your frame rate to around 35 it is smooth. It only jitters at higher frame rates. I've received comments that it is as smooth, or even smoother, than FSX's own multiplayer. I came up with some smoothing techniques many years ago for dial-up networking. Recently someone was asking about a good cross-platform multiplayer client for FSX and I thought I'd give it a go.

I recorded a nine aircraft formation of Spitfires yesterday, I'll see if I can get it onto YouTube today.

I shall give this a go. Not the overdubbing(like FSRecorder) but with people with different platforms.

I'll be back.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Peter, this could just be what we've been looking for. The cross platform support is huge. If it's as smooth as a direct connection to host session, then this will be a winner. Also, looking forward to X-Plane support.

Any possibility in making this FS2004 (FS9) compatible? 

Looking good so far..

Good question, I hadn't thought about that to be honest. I gather that FS9 doesn't use Simconnect, but apparently I may be able to use FSUIPC. I will look into it.

• Upvote 2

Excellent, looking forward for X-Plane support..

thanks Peter. if you use fsuipc, we can get it to work with XP with xpuipc.. let me know if you need a tester.

Thanks for the heads up, Alex. That might solve both in one go. This is quickly moving up the priority list. I've no idea what the ratio of X-Plane/FS9 users to FSX is.

I also agree this looks interesting.

At the moment our group uses an FSD setup similar to VATSIM and IVAO for multiplatform flying.

Would this new way have voice or weather capabilities?

And would everybody see the same weather?

Would this new way have voice or weather capabilities?

And would everybody see the same weather?

There's no voice support at this stage. Could voice not be achieved using a VoIP system such as TeamSpeak? That's what I've been using with JoinFS so far.

Weather will hopefully be in the next version. I'm hoping to make it a simple case of checking the aircraft list and pressing a button to copy the weather data from another pilot. For example, one pilot could have their weather engine running and everyone else just copies the weather from them.

Peter

What is the server URL? Or isn't there one

Hi Brian. Do you mean for JoinFS to connect to? It's been designed to work without a server. It uses peer-to-peer networking. Basically, you can connect to any pilot already in a session by entering their IP address, or you can create a new session and let people know your IP address.

If you want to, you can run JoinFS by itself permanently and have it act like a server, where it's actually more like a point of entry for new players. I'll need to add some password security features first to make this scenario more viable.

Regards,

Peter

There's no voice support at this stage. Could voice not be achieved using a VoIP system such as TeamSpeak? That's what I've been using with JoinFS so far.

Weather will hopefully be in the next version. I'm hoping to make it a simple case of checking the aircraft list and pressing a button to copy the weather data from another pilot. For example, one pilot could have their weather engine running and everyone else just copies the weather from them.

Peter

Sounds good.

My last question then..

Are all aircraft able to be shown on the default FSX radar and if so is all info included like squawks etc?

Id like to test this if you have a beta version and need testers.