So if I'm reading you correctly, you're looking to create a decentralized web of permanent JoinFS servers that automatically hand off the client between nodes? Would this be based on geographical connections or OSPF/ping responses? It's an interesting idea that I don't think anyone has really tackled yet, but it would require 24/7 reliability on the part of the permanent servers with redundant nodes to be available should one fail.

So if I'm reading you correctly, you're looking to create a decentralized web of permanent JoinFS servers that automatically hand off the client between nodes? Would this be based on geographical connections or OSPF/ping responses? It's an interesting idea that I don't think anyone has really tackled yet, but it would require 24/7 reliability on the part of the permanent servers with redundant nodes to be available should one fail.

Basically that, yes. You would set JoinFS as a hub node, with a longitude, latitude and coverage radius. For example, you might have one covering a region, country, or just 10nm around an airfield. Because it's peer-to-peer, if a hub server went down, no-one would notice as all remaining nodes would still be connected. It's just when you fly away and returned, it would be empty.

Really, it's just an idea at the moment. Whether this would actually be of any use to formation flying or others, perhaps not.

Hey Peter, I see that you have X-Plane support in the Pipeline. Count me in if you need tester/s.

Thanks

Alex

Thanks, Alex.

Peter

Wow, this was welcome news. :)  I will start using and testing this version as well.  FS Host was what we were using, but is a bit too jittery.

Thanks Peter, will give feedback when I can.  (and I meant in general, not regarding Xplane but FSX and P3D, sorry)

Bruce

Bruce Wood

Thanks, Bruce.

There's currently an issue with P3D support at the moment. Works for some apparently, but for others they can't see other aircraft. I've just seen this happen this evening during a session, so I'm on the case.

Peter

On a slightly different note... I just tried AITrackerX (http://lorby-si.weebly.com/

Continuing on the slightly different note.... Thanks for that mention Robert. I had been waiting for that to come out. He makes some cool utilities and is responsive to customers.

Hi Peter,

A suggestion for your consideration:

When JFS does a FSX database aircraft scan it apparently scans the root FSX directory itself as well as the SimObjects\aircraft directory.  This can lead to a problem and confusion when trying to do an a/c substitution. FSX can only use a/c in the ... FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes folder, so if JFS finds an a/c elsewhere (for example, it is common to keep a special Hanger folder under SimObjects to hold a/c not being used for some reason) it still appears in the substitution list but if selected will not work because FSX itself does not 'see' it (can't use it). This can lead to confusion in using the JFS a/c substitution feature.

Would it cause a problem if JFS was restricted to just scanning the ... FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes folder when building its aircraft database?

Thx,

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, you're right, I originally decided to scan the FSX main folder because I thought it would be a good idea to pick up my MyTraffic folder. It's clear to me now that you mention it, that this is a bad idea as I imagine all of those models will be static cosmetic models, not flyable. I'll change this to just the SimObjects as you suggest. JoinFS will still ask for the main simulator folder though, as it needs to handle the new simobject layout in P3D v3.

Thanks,

Peter

........ I'll change this to just the SimObjects as you suggest. JoinFS will still ask for the main simulator folder though, as it needs to handle the new simobject layout in P3D v3.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter,

If it's not a problem, regardless of what JFS asks to be pointed to, best to make it just the FSX aircraft folder that JFS actually scans -- ... FSX\Simobjects\aircraft. Some folks typically have their Hanger folder under Simobjects and I don't think you want JFS to 'find' that.  FSX only 'sees' aircraft that are in the aircraft folder itself, so I don't see any reason to scan anything else under Simobjects (unless perhaps required for P3D). Based on my limited experience with JFS to date, I think scanning just the aircraft folder will significantly reduce the likelihood of a failed substitution.

BTW, in my sim world, JoinFS has already become our favorite multiplayer application.

Thx,

Al

Peter,

If it's not a problem, regardless of what JFS asks to be pointed to, best to make it just the FSX aircraft folder that JFS actually scans -- ... FSX\Simobjects\aircraft. Some folks typically have their Hanger folder under Simobjects and I don't think you want JFS to 'find' that.  FSX only 'sees' aircraft that are in the aircraft folder itself, so I don't see any reason to scan anything else under Simobjects (unless perhaps required for P3D). Based on my limited experience with JFS to date, I think scanning just the aircraft folder will significantly reduce the likelihood of a failed substitution.

BTW, in my sim world, JoinFS has already become our favorite multiplayer application.

Thx,

Al

Peter,

Ignore the above. Somehow I overlooked the Rotorcraft file under SimObjects (I don't fly helicopters, but my apologies to those who do). So you would need to scan both the ... FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes  and FSX\SimObjects\Rotorcraft files. I also noticed the above is incorrect in that it is a ...FSX\SimObjects\airplanes file, not ...FSX\SimObjects\aircraft.  That, I guess, is why I confused myself.

Sorry,

Al

Hi Al,

I gather that other aircraft outside of those two folders are still useful and required for substitution. Is this still a going to be a problem? I known it finds a lot more objects. Is it that it makes it difficult to find the model you want because the categories contain too many entries.

I think I may need to show a separate window where you can select which folders under SimObjects you wish to scan for. It could default to the two you mention, but then allows you to add the extra folders?

Peter

Hi Al,

I think I may need to show a separate window where you can select which folders under SimObjects you wish to scan for. It could default to the two you mention, but then allows you to add the extra folders?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't see a problem with having a user defined 'extra' folder as you suggest. However, my understanding is that any aircraft scanned, from any FSX folder, will still not be 'seen' by FSX unless it is in the Airplane or Rotorcraft folder under SimObjects. So I don't really understand the reason for having an extra folder unless the idea is to be able to move an aircraft from the extra folder to the Airplanes or Rotorcraft folder without having to do a JoinFS rescan for substitution purposes.

Al