Sign in to follow this  
pinsel

Forced to start SLX with elevated rights

Hi Maarten,

till the last few SLX-versions i was able to set the "RunAsInvoker" flag with Application Compatibility Toolkit to run SLX in normal user context.

if i start SLX now, i get a message box "You need to use an account with administrator rights...". We had discussed that in the past and i understand your arguments for running SLX as admin. But it would be nice if you allow to set "RunAsInvoker" at least.

Cheers, Walter.

Hi Walter,

Sorry, but I cannot do that: SLX needs administrative privileges. If it didn't, I would not have included a check on startup.

thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Hi Maarten,

i just re-installed v5.7.6087.38961. It runs fine without elevated rights and sadly will be my last SLX version.

Thanks for you information and your great work.

Cheers, Walter.

Hi Walter,

I would like to keep you on board, so you can now put a RunAsInvoker.txt file in the [Documents]\SimLauncherX folder and if SLX finds a file with that file name on startup, it will skip the check for administrator rights. This results in an unsupported configuration however and some functionality will not work, so use it at your own risk. A new version is now available for download.

thanks, Maarten

Hi Maarten,

that sounds good. Thank you very much.

Cheers, Walter.

P.S. Just installed the new version. Everything looks good. Could you explain which functions will not work?

Hi Walter,

I cannot give you an exact list of functionality that might not work. At least you will not be able to launch any other add-ons that run with elevated priviledges like e.g. ActiveSky, FTX Central and some users run the simulator with elevated priviledges. I'm also using some low level Windows features to look for shared folders, MAC-addresses etc. It might work, but depending on the exact user rights it might also fail.

thanks, Maarten