Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Yoke button to switch autopilot on

I want to use a yoke button to switch the autopilot ( cmdA ) on and off. ( I use a Saitek yoke )

So far I tried the following: In control,press Button/Keys, then assign a yoke button to Autopilot master on/off.

This only works to disconnect the autopilot but not to connect.

Does anybody have a suggestion/solution ?

Thanks

HubertWerni

NB: I find it somehow difficult to fully concentrate on the PFD and then search the cmdA with the mouse.

Herbert Werni

You can't use the same button to switch the AP on and off. The aircraft doesn't work that way. You need to assign two, one to engage and one to disconnect. If you only have one spare the disconnect button is more useful.

ki9cAAb.jpg

You can't use the same button to switch the AP on and off. The aircraft doesn't work that way. You need to assign two, one to engage and one to disconnect. If you only have one spare the disconnect button is more useful.

Not sure if I understand correctly.How can I assign two buttons ( to Autopilot Master On/Off ) By  assigning a second button,the first one has to be deleted.

In any case,I would appreciate to know how to assign a button that switches the A/P on,green light on.

What works in my case is only switching off but not switching on.

Thanks again

HubertWerni

Herbert Werni

Not sure if I understand correctly.How can I assign two buttons ( to Autopilot Master On/Off ) By  assigning a second button,the first one has to be deleted.

In any case,I would appreciate to know how to assign a button that switches the A/P on,green light on.

What works in my case is only switching off but not switching on.

Thanks again

HubertWerni

It's easy, the CMD A and disconnect buttons are separate key assignments in the CDU.

To disconnect the AP you should press the button on the control yoke. You need to press it twice, once to disconnect and once to cancel the aural warning. That's why assigning a button to disconnect is more useful as you are usually busy with flying when you disconnect.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The op is trying this through fsx control settings. Clearly.

Do it through the FMS inside the aircraft.

FMS / CDU / magic box whatever you want to call it...

Luke Pype

It's easy, the CMD A and disconnect buttons are separate key assignments in the CDU.

To disconnect the AP you should press the button on the control yoke. You need to press it twice, once to disconnect and once to cancel the aural warning. That's why assigning a button to disconnect is more useful as you are usually busy with flying when you disconnect.

Somehow the point is missed  as I intend to switch the A/P on.Turning it off  will be dome by mouse click.

Thanks again

HubertWerni

Herbert Werni

Somehow the point is missed  as I intend to switch the A/P on.Turning it off  will be dome by mouse click.

Thanks again

HubertWerni

Honestly, it should be the opposite: mouse click on, yoke button off. If you can't mouse over and turn it on, then you're likely not in trim, which is not good.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks again

HubertWerni

What Kyle said.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

Does anybody have a suggestion/solution ?

Press Z on the keyboard to engage the AP.

Press Z on the keyboard to engage the AP.

Yes,I could do that and it works.However my goal is to activate the A/P via a Yoke button.

Herbert

Herbert Werni

When I said

To disconnect the AP you should press the button on the control yoke.

I meant the button on the yoke in the VC, not your yoke. That's where the AP disconnect button is in the real NG. Obviously it's even harded to click that while following the PFD than to click the AP CMD buttons. Perhaps if you explained exactly what control you have assigned to disconnect the AP it might help. Pilots don't press the AP disengage bar to disconnect.

Honestly, it makes much more sense to click a button to disco the AP then it does to do the same thing to engage it. If you are properly in trim, as you should be, you won't need to remain focussed on the PFD as you press the CMD button with the mouse. But if you really must do that you need to assign two separate buttons to accomplish that (one to engage, one to disconnect). If you are having trouble doing that you may be assigning keystrokes to the wrong CDU controls.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yes,I could do that and it works.However my goal is to activate the A/P via a Yoke button.

Herbert

Do you have fsuipc? Using that you can assign a joystick/yoke button to the Z key and that should work. - David Lee

Do you have fsuipc? Using that you can assign a joystick/yoke button to the Z key and that should work. - David Lee

Yes,I do have FSUIPC and will try.Unfortunately I lost my activation key and have to get a new one.

HubertWerni

Herbert Werni

You should be able to assign it within the stock settings as well, the "Z" key should be configurable just like any other key within FSX/P3D.

Unfortunately I lost my activation key and have to get a new one.

Dan Downs KCRP