Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

Hurricane fun

With Hurricane Matthew passing through the caribbean, I decided to tests Active Sky's Ability to depict such storms....this flight turned out to be so hilarious I decided to put it online.

I took off from MDPC in a B200 and turned east at FL250 flying directly into Matthew's path and planning to attempt to land on MUCU, which was actually closed IRL due to the storm. From time to time I had 99kts tailwind that gave me some 360kts GS according to displays. While descending towards MUCU (I had to cheat finding the airport with GPS help, IRL you would divert in such visibility conditions) the wind shifted and was blowing from a northwestern direction.

My B200 then stopped in the air unless I gave almost full throttle so I could move forward with around 35kias.

This pic is actually my final approach un Runway 01. 94kts crosswind, but fortunately, no turbulence. GS was 6 kts by the time I took the pic.

Z59W8B.jpg

Same situation from the outside, I just had to use airlerons to position my plane sideways, other than that the plane just stopped in the air. The runway marking at the bottom is actually the runway I was trying to land at.

6D9GDY.jpg

Alright, better put her down before things get nastier, funny enough I didnt need the runway at all, instead, I decided to land and "turn next taxiway" in one step.

98SUH7.jpg

Alright, lets taxi her into parki......ooohhh crap.....

A2ECT.jpg

The plane went around 100 ft in the air before the engines throttled down again and it touched back down smoothly. Better shut her down and leave it at that ;)

VT5Z1D.jpg

• Upvote 3

That's great! I know what I'm trying when I get home from work...

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Great idea...very interesting....nice shots!

HLJAMES

LMAO! Brilliant! Thanks for posting such craziness!

I had a not too similar GA flight into Benbecula the other night in the little Aerospool Dynamic.I knew it was a little windy (nowhere near the hurricane force!). ATC said cleared to land RWY 6 follow the Cessna on final. As I lined up on final I accessed a cheeky METAR via FS Open Clouds. Ctrl-Shift-M displays the current METAR its using to generate the weather - 27kt crosswind at 90 degrees to the runway! Ah, the joys of stock ATC :)

The Dynamic didn't stop in mid air but it required me to point the nose at the apron to get the plane down on to the runway, just putting in a bootful of rudder to kick her straight before touchdown :cool: (Not sure if I could do it again in sim - no chance in the real world!). Taxiing in was entertaining - a decided lack of rudder authority, had to use a lot of differential braking via the keyboard...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Well with taxiing the issue was that my plane rotated again right after it began moving forward. FSX ground contact model is not exactly famous for accuracy though. I guess that in reality an airplane that isn't tied down will simply be pushed off the tarmac into the next trees before it could even move.

Maybe with a spoiler-euqipped aircraft that balooning can be prevented just like in this video, it was tricky enough to get a king air safely to the ground. Maybe I should try to park the PMDG 777 in mid-air using the same technique. B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9IhQxmt08U

Not so "Friendly" Skies! Yikes!!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Well with taxiing the issue was that my plane rotated again right after it began moving forward. FSX ground contact model is not exactly famous for accuracy though. I guess that in reality an airplane that isn't tied down will simply be pushed off the tarmac into the next trees before it could even move.

Maybe with a spoiler-euqipped aircraft that balooning can be prevented just like in this video, it was tricky enough to get a king air safely to the ground. Maybe I should try to park the PMDG 777 in mid-air using the same technique. B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9IhQxmt08U

If airplanes aren't tied down, they will fly with a wind.  That's why you tie them down.

Cool!

"I decided to tests Active Sky's Ability to depict such storms...." - It would seem that the answer is - yes.

Ian S

38.jpg

FishermanIvan - I thought that was the Annual "Let's let flightimmers loose with real aeroplanes invitational"  :LMAO:

In all seriousness it looks like everyone just got away with a good scaring (apart from some aircraft requiring inspection).  :shok:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I had a similar experience with the default Cessna yesterday...

I didn't fly it. The winds did it for me. :P

• Upvote 1

If airplanes aren't tied down, they will fly with a wind.  That's why you tie them down.

:lol:  Like little toys.

I'd imagine in a hurricane you'd hangar them.  A wind like that is sure to destroy the thing, along with flying debris.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired