Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Confusion on dll.xml exe.xml locations and entries in both or just one location? Programdata vs users

Running p3d v3.4.9 along with simstarter NG (i assume simstarter doesnt play a role in any of this, but figured i'd mention it), along with flyinsidefsx for p3d.

I know at some point the path for things like dll.xml became two locations..

I'm unclear on if i should make sure all entries are just in one of the two (and merge the missing entries).. and if it doesnt matter, if it matters if entries overlap.. i assume things wont load twice ( i may have some in both)..

Of course the main path is %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3  while what i think should be the only location is..

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

So.. best to just move the entries into the one in the programdata or do they need to be in both places (duplicated) for certain older addons to work?  (same thing with exe.xml etc)..

Thanks in advance for any clarity here

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

No need to move anything. Seems that LM recommends that all addon entries are located into the dll and exe files in C:\ProgramData, but in case you still have entries in both directories (ProgramData and AppData), at P3D start it will merge both exe and both dll files for you.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

No need to move anything. Seems that LM recommends that all addon entries are located into the dll and exe files in C:\ProgramData, but in case you still have entries in both directories (ProgramData and AppData), at P3D start it will merge both exe and both dll files for you.

Cheers, Ed

...sooooo...I can merge the two into the programData XMLs and delete the one in AppData?

Thanks,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

...sooooo...I can merge the two into the programData XMLs and delete the one in AppData?

Thanks,

Chas

You don't have to. P3D will do the merge for you everytime during its start-up. On my two machines, I have the two sets in the two directories.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Whatever you do, do not merge the files.  Most likely you will run into issues.  I had actually recommended doing just that in the CTD Forum and many people did merge them but ran into problems.  I had problems too.  Moving the entries in the dll.xml in your P3D.cfg folder to the dll.xml in your scenery.cfg folder is dangerous.  Eventually developers will start placing their startup modules in the correct folder.  Meanwhile, please do not merge them.  Evidently, some developers have programs expecting to find their dll.xml entries in the original folder located in the P3D.cfg folder.  If you do try it, please back it up first or you will have major problems figuring out what was in what dll.xml.  It does not affect performance.

Ed, P3D will read both files but will not merge them. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Whatever you do, do not merge the files.  Most likely you will run into issues.  I had actually recommended doing just that in the CTD Forum and many people did merge them but ran into problems.  I had problems too.  Moving the entries in the dll.xml in your P3D.cfg folder to the dll.xml in your scenery.cfg folder is dangerous.  Eventually developers will start placing their startup modules in the correct folder.  Meanwhile, please do not merge them.  Evidently, some developers have programs expecting to find their dll.xml entries in the original folder located in the P3D.cfg folder.  If you do try it, please back it up first or you will have major problems figuring out what was in what dll.xml.  It does not affect performance.

Best regards,

Jim

Yikes.. good tip then.. what about the duplicate entries.. i guess just leave the dupes on both ends, no harm?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

If there are duplicate entries, then those should be removed as it could result in a CTD (we have many cases in the CTD Forum where removing duplicate entries resolved crashes).  The only possible way for a duplicate entry is in the same dll.xml.  The developer's installers do not install their entries in both locations.  But, some, like me, have tried to move the entries in the old location to the new location and that's one way how it could result in duplicate entries.  Also, manually placing an entry into the file.  I have a lot of software and modules and this is what is located in the dll.xml in the original location (where the p3d.cfg is located):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>K:\Prepar3D_v3\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
    <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_connect</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Everything else is in the new location so things are slowly being moved to the new location by developers.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If there are duplicate entries, then those should be removed as it could result in a CTD (we have many cases in the CTD Forum where removing duplicate entries resolved crashes).  The only possible way for a duplicate entry is in the same dll.xml.  The developer's installers do not install their entries in both locations.  But, some, like me, have tried to move the entries in the old location to the new location and that's one way how it could result in duplicate entries.  Also, manually placing an entry into the file.  I have a lot of software and modules and this is what is located in the dll.xml in the original location (where the p3d.cfg is located):

Everything else is in the new location so things are slowly being moved to the new location by developers.

Best regards,

Jim

Maybe i didnt clarify on the dupes thing sorry.. i guess what i meant was.. if the users folder location has the same entry as the programdata dll.xml.. how does it handle it.. will it cause a ctd having the same entry in both folder files potentially.. i think you meant duplicates in the same file itself?  Or if you meant duplicates in both areas.. then where should the remaining entry stay put at... the old spot in users?

if the users folder location has the same entry as the programdata dll.xml.. how does it handle it..

It will load the module.

will it cause a ctd having the same entry in both folder files potentially..

It will not cause a CTD if the same entry is in both folders.  I have had duplicate entries in the file located in the same folder as the p3d.cfg for a long period of time w/o a crash.  So it will not immediately trigger a crash.  However, when I had an NTDLL.dll error once, I checked my dll.xml entries and found two duplicate PMDG entries and removed one and the crashes stopped.  It is possible the first entry got corrupted and not seen by the installer when a PMDG product was updated.  In any case I did not put it there. 

Or if you meant duplicates in both areas.. then where should the remaining entry stay put at... the old spot in users?

It is almost impossible to have duplicate entries in both areas (I stated that in my response).  The only way it could happen is if you manually entered the entry in the dll.xml at the new location or tried to merge them.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim:

That's exactly what I meant, P3D will take data from both files, probably "merge" is not the correct term for that action.

Thanks, Ed

It will not cause a CTD if the same entry is in both folders. I have had duplicate entries in the file located in the same folder as the p3d.cfg for a long period of time w/o a crash. So it will not immediately trigger a crash. However, when I had an NTDLL.dll error once, I checked my dll.xml entries and found two duplicate PMDG entries and removed one and the crashes stopped. It is possible the first entry got corrupted and not seen by the installer when a PMDG product was updated. In any case I did not put it there.

For general information, the installer for WX Advantage Radar (Milviz/REX) puts the same entry in both dll.xml files located in AppData and ProgramData folders:

<Launch.Addon>
        <Name>WXAdvantage</Name>
        <Path>Modules\MV_WXM.dll</Path>
        <DLLStartName>module_init</DLLStartName>
        <DLLStopName>module_deinit</DLLStopName>
</Launch.Addon>

I have not modified this yet, as it is not causing trouble to me (CTDs).

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed