Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Help with P3D Install fix + Upgrade

Hi folks,

While the P3D guide has been out recently, and I have read that (as well as Elaine's thread), I had done some stuff to my P3D install before reading all that good stuff...

I was on 3.2, and upgraded to 3.3 (had done the tweak with PTA or whatever while on 3.2). 

I don't have anything wrong per se that stood out, but:

1) I know I must have done *something* wrong (or not done something) because I have more than one P3D folder at different places:

In C:\Users\Walter\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin I have Prepar3D and Prepar3d v3

In Documents I have> Prepar3d v3 Files, Prepar3D v3 Add-ons, and Prepar3D v2 Files  (v2????? I though this feature of adding into documents was introduced in v3.1 even?)

and

2) I now downloaded and want to upgrade to 3.4

Can you help me with a what I could check to see if things at in fact screwed up and what the best way of cleaning up and upgrading (or re-installing??) would be?

I have a lot of add-ons installed and if possible would prefer to avoid the re-install, but if it's the best (or only) option I guess I can go that way....

Thanks!!

1) I know I must have done *something* wrong (or not done something) because I have more than one P3D folder at different places:

That sounds right to me, I also have P3D and DLL.xml  etc in many places  ,  and  my  fresh install is the 3.49.  

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

That sounds right to me, I also have P3D and DLL.xml  etc in many places  ,  and  my  fresh install is the 3.49.  

Uhm.. maybe you didn-t understand me, or I didn't express myself correctly...

Let me rephrase:  I have several P3D folders *in the same location*, and different places  (i.e. more than one in location "x", more than one in location "y", etc.).

After looking a bit more, I *think* my install is not messed up, but rather this is the fault of add-ons.  In one case. I have a "P3D" folder (instead of "P3D v3") and when I go inside this is caused by Saitek Plugin that chose to install there instead of appending to the proper exe.xml file within "P3D v3" folder.

What puzzles me also is the "Prepar3D v2 Files" in documents, since:  a) I never had a v2 installed, and B) the contents are from PMDG 737 NGX tutorials, which are compatible and aware of v3....

In Documents I have> Prepar3d v3 Files, Prepar3D v3 Add-ons, and Prepar3D v2 Files  (v2????? I though this feature of adding into documents was introduced in v3.1 even?)

Hello Carlos, 

Prepar3d vx Files In Documents has always been there like Flight Simulator X Files for FSX   

Prepar3D v3 Add-ons In Documents 

This was Introduced in V 3.3 and gives the Software Developer an Option to Develop Installers that take advantage of this method and the result will be, keeping all your bits and bobs more organized,As well as that using this Method you will be able to Disable and Enable Add On's in a much quicker and easier way.   It has Not been used yet to Date and is Not required for the Software Developers.  It will probably take a little time before you see this in action.

===========================

Having Duplicate Prepar3D folders can be from having the Migration Tool Installed Or Previously having the Tool Install and what you are seeing is left overs (Didn't Uninstall correctly)  

Also, Some 3rd Party Software developers will create folders outside the Prepar3D typical Install folder locations to Store back ups or logs there  

Hello Carlos, 

Prepar3d vx Files In Documents has always been there like Flight Simulator X Files for FSX   

Prepar3D v3 Add-ons In Documents 

This was Introduced in V 3.3 and gives the Software Developer an Option to Develop Installers that take advantage of this method and the result will be, keeping all your bits and bobs more organized,As well as that using this Method you will be able to Disable and Enable Add On's in a much quicker and easier way.   It has Not been used yet to Date and is Not required for the Software Developers.  It will probably take a little time before you see this in action.

===========================

Having Duplicate Prepar3D folders can be from having the Migration Tool Installed Or Previously having the Tool Install and what you are seeing is left overs (Didn't Uninstall correctly)  

Also, Some 3rd Party Software developers will create folders outside the Prepar3D typical Install folder locations to Store back ups or logs there  

Thanks Elaine!

So yes, the Add-ons one is empty...

Regarding the v2 folder:

- I have never used or even installed the migraton tool ever

- Seems the files inside that are PMDG files... 737NGX tutorial files?  Not really sure why specifically PMDG would do that, since again, never had a v2 installed (or migration tool) and PMDG is compatible?

Also puzzled about some Aerosoft stuff, since for the F-14 they placed (correctly) some files in the P3D v3 Files, but then the same files they just dumped directly into the documents folder... :mad: 

I-m about to upgrade yet again to 3.4 following your guide...

Regarding the v2 folder:

I don't have the 737,  But This post seems relevant but as you never had V2 Installed it still doesn't answer your question 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/481150-from-prepar3d-v2-to-v3-how-to-install/?p=3351433

================

I dont have the F-14 either but i would hazard a guess and say the Installer has used it as a BackUp\Log\Over spill Folder 

I don't have the 737,  But This post seems relevant but as you never had V2 Installed it still doesn't answer your question 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/481150-from-prepar3d-v2-to-v3-how-to-install/?p=3351433

================

I dont have the F-14 either but i would hazard a guess and say the Installer has used it as a BackUp\Log\Over spill Folder 

Thanks, in that post the person never answered, but in this one I just made:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/496013-quick-q-for-possible-mis-install-of-ngx/

Kyle confirms that it seems to be a bug in their code, and has been fixed and probably included in a future update.

I will just move the files to the v3 folder and delete the v2 folder.

Weird thing in that post you linked the guy said his installer would fail if he didn't have that v2 folder, and that did not happen to me, it just created it.... (maybe admin rights or something, go figure or know how the guy installed).

I'm thinking something similar could have happened with the F-14. Will ask Aerosoft.

I did update P3D and everything seems to be ok  (after following instructions I also re-installed ASN, FSUIPC, REX theme and ORBX FTX Global).

Only doubt I have is how the "main" P3D program  (not the client) listed in programs gets it's version updated...   When I did 3.2 to 3.3, I had done the client and content, and while only their number version changed, some point later on when I went to the programs list the "main" P3D program listed had also changed numbers.

Now going 3.3 to 3.4, same sit. as before, with the 3 items (client, content, scenery) having changed versions, but not the main" P3D listed. At least not yet, not sure what triggers/causes that to get updated.

Now going 3.3 to 3.4, same sit. as before, with the 3 items (client, content, scenery) having changed versions, but not the main" P3D listed. At least not yet, not sure what triggers/causes that to get updated.

Yes that's Perfect.    The Prepar3D v3 Academic\Professional will stay in your "Control Panel" ​at the Previous Version because this is just the "Version" of the old Installer (Setup.exe)     The Version will stay at that Version, because that's the last time you Ran the Setup.exe to Install Prepar3D "Whole"

The Setup.exe Installs the 3 Components together an  all-in-one-installer  

Yes that's Perfect.    The Prepar3D v3 Academic\Professional will stay in your "Control Panel" ​at the Previous Version because this is just the "Version" of the old Installer (Setup.exe)     The Version will stay at that Version, because that's the last time you Ran the Setup.exe to Install Prepar3D "Whole"

The Setup.exe Installs the 3 Components together an  all-in-one-installer  

Awesome.. I don't know why last time it changed, but maybe I had run the main installer too anyway.. can't remember.

In retrospect, since I installed all 3 components now anyway, I might as well have run the main installer too, right? Or would that break something?

Hello

As you have now Updated Prepar3D  Don't run the Installer Now.   Check your Control Panel you should have Prepar3D Client Content and Scenery V 3,4  This is the same thing...............

The Idea behind the 3 Component Installers is To Update Prepar3D to the most Recent Version with Minimum Impact on Add On's,  When you Update using this Method your Prepar3D Directories\Folders are left Untouched (New features will be added of course)  but for the most of it you can successfully carry on flying with some small adjustments (Add On Updates)  

Hello

As you have now Updated Prepar3D  Don't run the Installer Now.   Check your Control Panel you should have Prepar3D Client Content and Scenery V 3,4  This is the same thing...............

The Idea behind the 3 Component Installers is To Update Prepar3D to the most Recent Version with Minimum Impact on Add On's,  When you Update using this Method your Prepar3D Directories\Folders are left Untouched (New features will be added of course)  but for the most of it you can successfully carry on flying with some small adjustments (Add On Updates)

Thanks! I will just leave it as-is then... Components all show 3.4.9.18400 and just the main installer shows 3.3.5.17625

Should be good to go and try to have fun now... :P