Sign in to follow this  
sedacajr

Odd shape in flight path

Hi everyone.

Why sometimes in the flight path drawed on the display, the turns between one waypoint to an other looks like this odd shape?

Thanks,

Shape.png

Senén Castillo

i get that on some intercepts the fms asks of the software. i remember having to manually make a waypoint. i dont exactly remember. my situation was on an arc intercept for an approach

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Why sometimes in the flight path drawed on the display, the turns between one waypoint to an other looks like this odd shape?

The ND in the T7 has an issue sometimes rendering the correct route in particularly routes involving SIDS and STARS. It flies the route correctly but I does not look like it is going to based upon what's displayed on the ND. It is nothing you are doing.

what airport and departure is that?

i agree with pcubine it is sort of a side effect of the way the SID waypoints are defined in the FMS and how it tries to understand them. i think the DC402 waypoint has an expected intercept heading and it can't determine if it should turn to match that intercept, or if it should turn at the maxiumum rate to aim towards the point. in the chart it maybe is expecting you to do a longer sweeping right turn to intercept that waypoint.

cheers

-andy crosby

That isn't so bad. I remember seeing a comparable discussion in the Aerosoft Airbus 320 forums with even stranger route misbehaviours, where real-life pilots responded that they actually had such things occurring.

Just like with the Tesla, never blindly trust the autopilot.

Bert Laverman

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Just like with the Tesla, never blindly trust the autopilot.

haha - good one.

Kyle Rodgers

what airport and departure is that?

i agree with pcubine it is sort of a side effect of the way the SID waypoints are defined in the FMS and how it tries to understand them. i think the DC402 waypoint has an expected intercept heading and it can't determine if it should turn to match that intercept, or if it should turn at the maxiumum rate to aim towards the point. in the chart it maybe is expecting you to do a longer sweeping right turn to intercept that waypoint.

cheers

-andy crosby

Hi

This is the procedure and the odd shape always happens.

Airport: MROC

Departure: Rwy 25

SID: COCOS4 Transition RADEON

The turn begins in the second waypoint of the departure.

So it is normal, nothing to do to change the line drawed?

Regards,

Hi

This is the procedure and always happens.

Airport: MROC

Departure: Rwy 25

SID: COCOS4 Transition RADEON

The turn begins in the second waypoint of the departure.

Regards,

aha. yeah it looks like the radon transition simply does not use that first waypoint. maybe it is a side effect of the navigraph/ngx format that it still includes the first waypoint since it's part of the SID for all the other transitions that use it.

i would just delete that first point after entering the SID and see how the track looks from there. 

is it normal for that point to show up in the first place? i don't really know. but i would definitely expect a wacky looking track if the waypoints weren't really meant to be flown in sequence.

cheers

-andy crosby

Gr8gF5D.jpg

Thanks Andy

In fact, before takeoff I always delete the first waypoint and fly direct to OC 401. But the track always remains in that way.

So I have to live with this, right?

Happens in real life as Bert said before?

Regards,

I always delete the first waypoint

I wish it was that simple. VHHH 07R BEKOL3A SID. Enter it into FMC. Change the range for the ND from 20 to 80 so you can see the whole SID. It looks just like it is drawn on the LIDO charts. Continue on with entering the STAR, arrival runway, request winds aloft, etc. Then go to the PERF INIT page and enter ZFW, reserves, initial cruise altitude. The SID still looks great. Enter the cost index and BAMG the SID looks like spaghetti thrown against a wall. Figure that one out. That's what PMDG is trying to do.