Sign in to follow this  
Guest dpc

Why is Cessna 206 considered to be a good "bushplane" ?

Guest JIMJAM

I flew one in RL and it was basically a pickup truck for the company. Tough,reliable,easy to fly and nobody cared if you scratched it up.

As I understand it, it's got a high usable load, a good combination of range and speed, and quite good short-field performance for its size. Like Jimjam said, it's basically a panel truck of an airplane.Lewis "Moose" GregoryRichmond, Virginia

From www.wikipedia.com:"Its powerful engine, rugged construction and relatively large cabin has made it a somewhat popular bush-plane, and Cessna touts it as "the sport-utility vehicle of the air."

I have noticed that the freeware Cessna 206 that has been around for some time, only shows a useful load (including fuel) of 1000 pounds - this is the difference between the max weight listed in the aircraft.cfg and the empty weight. This can't be right.I have noticed that at times, different Fsim a/c seem to fly correctly to the "numbers" except that the engine HP or weight in the CFG file are not correct .Barry

Guest cactus

It was a good little bush plane IF it was on wheels. Empty weight was about 2100 and groos weight of 3600 lbs. If you put a STOL kit on it it was a much better short field performer. On floats this plane is a pig. The C185 was a much better plane on the water. The large cargo door was a useful bonus too. We used to take this plane in and out of an 800 foot strip that was built with hand tools. No dozer or anything. Sure was an adrenaline rush at times.

Thats too bad they didn't model a cargo version. Once again no love for the freight dawgs

Guest JIMJAM

I do not remember any numbers because its been so long. Mechanics use to throw heavy tool boxes and parts in the back. Way over gross and flew like a wet blanket with the prop making god awfull sounds but the 206 always got you there.In the virtual world Ive been flying the flight1 pc-12 which is the Ferrari of bush planes. Still amazes me some of the feilds Ive shoehorned this plane into. Unreal short feild performance and the vr is incredible.

Guest dpc

What someone needs to do is a good Cessna 185, both dragger and floats. One done to saaay Carenado standards. Then you'd have a bush plane!Dave

Guest CWD

>What someone needs to do is a good Cessna 185, both dragger>and floats. One done to saaay Carenado standards. Then you'd>have a bush plane!>>DaveAerialFoundry was working on one before they closed. :(IMO, the C206 on floats can't be that much of a dog, though, since it's won the endorsement of so many great bush pilots.

Guest dpc

Ya, the AerialFoundry one was just the one I was waiting for. Maybe it'll get released in some other manner. One can hope.Dave