Sign in to follow this  
electricman

Default FSX GPS problem

Has somebody encounterd the next problem; if I sit on the beginning of the RWY then the GPS shows like I'm at the end, if I move the plane in slew a little to the left then the GPS jumps the RWY at a 90 degree angle from the plane and puts the plane on the left side of the RWY, if I slew a little to the right then the opposite happens and if I move a little backward then the GPS moves the plane to the end if the RWY, tried a repair with the DVD's but nothing and on the net nothing either, ILS landings aren't possible anymore since the ILS doesn't find the airport anymore which jumps all over the place on approach, bad thing about this is that default as well as add on payware aircraft use the default GPS , help please

Herman

The default GPS will not display correctly until you either slew the a/c forward just a bit, or begin your takeoff roll. That's just the way it works in the sim.

BTW, the GPS has absolute no connection or control of the ILS.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

... ILS landings aren't possible anymore since the ILS doesn't find the airport anymore ...

Did it used to find the airport before? The usual way to carry out an ILS landing is to have one of the NAV radios tuned to the correct frequency and the correct course selected..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

To Mark, I've been a flightsimmer already for over 10 years and know the way ILS landings work so yes it worked before.

To the moderator,

I corrected the problem; I have a copy of the full simulator on an external hard disk and copied the gps.dll from that one into the one I have on my system and that did the trick, looked like it has gotten corrupted from downloading and installing various vc cockpits for the default 747 and tempering with them.

Looks like I have to be more carefull next time with downloaded stuff.

Best regards Herman

My apologies Herman.  :hi: :cool:

I've never actually tried using the GPS to establish on an ILS before - I've not fully explored it, just used it as a helpful moving map.

I did once screw up my GPS so it would not display when called upon (shift-3 etc.). I too, reinstalled it, but as I'm using FSX:SE I had Steam verify the game cache. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I'm happy to learn you solved your immediate problem.

Just to be clear though, the GPS still does absolutely nothing as far as ILS is concerned. The only thing it will do is display the localizer's "arrows" on the map, which does indeed aid in visualizing your approach.

However, there is no connection between the GPS and autopilot in an ILS landing. Any ILS capable aircraft without a GPS or FMC can still do ILS landings... :Cuppa:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I know that but the problem was that I used the default 747 with a new vc and that uses the same GPS map in the ND as do many default planes and that was where the airport was jumping all over the place, if I was flying on a straight line to the RWY then all of a sudden the RWY jumped about 45 to 90 degrees away and even sometimes it just disappeared on me and all though everything was set correctly the PFD didn't catch the ILS interception, ( no diamonds or glideslope markers ) so obviously there was a problem with the connection between the plane and the map so the map telling the plane it was nowhere near the airport even with the RWY in sight,