Sign in to follow this  
johnwillimas

Anniversary Woes

After installing Win 10 Anniversary edition my PC seized up and would only function in safe mode. Never mind, I thought, I have everything backed up. I'll do a Windows Reset. Even though a reset trashes your apps, I thought that's no problem.

The reset worked fine.

BUT....

Trying to reinstall FS-X, my DVD wouldn't work. Actually the PC didn't seem to see my drive... After some work with MS support I have got to the following position....

I know its not the drive - I put another (USB) drive on and couldn't install from that.

I know it's not the FS-X DVD disk. I tried starting the install on another PC using the same DVD and the same (USB) drive and that works.

It looks like it's the Anniversary Edition because PC 2 has Win 10, pre the anniversary edition. Could be the difference between Win 10 64 on my PPC and Win 10 32 bit on PC 2, though I guess.

Then I tried to install another DVD based game on PC 1 and that works. The only difference between that and the FS-X DVD is that the FS-X DVD uses something called DVD Check.exe.

I'm tired of watching MS support try all the same things over and over again without getting anywhere.

SO......

(1) Think carefully about updating to Win 10 Anniversary Edition if you're likely to need to re-install FS-X.

(2) Anyone got any bright ideas?

A few questions..

Did you install the original Windows 10? (the version before the Anniversary version)

Did you update from Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Did you update manually or by clicking the icon in the task bar, or did you use that Windows Media update download?

Did you update after the cutoff date? (Yes you can, by going the Assistive route)

Did you update your drivers after the install?

I updated last year from Windows 7, updated my graphics drivers, & my FSX, P3D & my 3x versions of FS2004 all worked perfectly.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Did you check device manager for errors with your CDROM/DVD drive?

Did you check for updated motherboard chipset drivers?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I had that problem on W7. Even Explorer wouldn't read the disk.

I installed FreeCommander (which could read the disk) copied the files to an HDD and installed from there.

My (3rd) Fs2004 installation took ages to install on my Windows 10 laptop. The 1st disk took forever. the others were quicker.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Looks like I'm on the road to solving it... I found a spare USB interface DVD drive and used that. While I still had problems double clicking the setup.exe I managed to start the process by right clicking the drive icon (for some reason I get one for the USB drive) and selecting "Install Flight Simulator X".

The on-board DVD works for other applications, 'twas just FS-X that was being dificult but since I managed to get it going and am now half way through adding the Acceleration stuff it looks like I'm on my way.  

• Upvote 1