Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

North Korean Airshow 2016

Good Video, Was that a landing or a crash at 09:38 with the Mig 21?

Is that what you'd call a firm landing, maybe he's practising for landing on carriers :)

I was thinking the same thing. Looked awfully close to a tailstrike, but maybe we shouldn't point it out - that might sadly cut the life of the pilot short... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

More concerned about the airliner at 6:12 with the tail wheel config. Thats some serious C of G issue or everybody rushes to the toilet on landing?

For a country that can't even feed itself, the majority of these AC are just 'for show' and not really in use by the general public. I was surprised they actually had enough gas to fly as many birds at the airshow as they did.

Good Video, Was that a landing or a crash at 09:38 with the Mig 21?

Is that what you'd call a firm landing, maybe he's practising for landing on carriers :)

Great Vid Fr. Bill, thanks for sharing.

The pilot started the flare too high, wings lost lift and the Mig hit the runway pretty hard.  I'd be pretty nervous myself considering who might be in VIP spectators booth.  

On another note,  At 5:42 in the video I couldn't believe my eyes when the IL-62 thrust reverse was deployed prior to the AC touchdown on the runway.  Another observation I made was the amount of dust coming off the runway as each aircraft passed over the surface, wonder if it was decaying concrete or hard packed gravel?

**EDIT**

Re. IL-62, I just read that the manufacturer recommends the thrust reverse is deployed prior to landing.  Must be hard to slow that bird down for landing.

\Robert Hamlich/

More concerned about the airliner at 6:12 with the tail wheel config. Thats some serious C of G issue or everybody rushes to the toilet on landing?

Noticed that did you? I saw that and wondered what the heck that skinny tail wheel is for. Maybe it's a wheelie bar for when they drag race? :LMAO:

Re. IL-62, I just read that the manufacturer recommends the thrust reverse is deployed prior to landing.  Must be hard to slow that bird down for landing.

Those four engines are real screamers too, are they not?

I noticed that the "tail gear" is only deployed while taxiing. I still don't understand why it is needed though... :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Interesting aircraft the IL-62. I cannot think of another aircraft with infinite flap settings.

The tail wheel is normally only used for loading. I guess as for the airshow there is no pax load and low fuel load to balance the aircraft it probably needed the tailwheel down just in case for taxi.

The tailwheel also does not fully retract so doubles up as a tailskid for over rotation on takeoff.

Thank you for the video link Bill. Four things struck me..... what is the *%£# is runway made of and none of the pilots filled me with confidence.

The Mig landing was scary! and noone lands an IL-76 like a Tristar! The huge flaps cause so much drag you can get in real trouble with a nose high flare.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful Russian airliners! Some of the IL-62s use the same screaming Solovievs as that Air Koryo IL-76. You're right edetroit: most IL-76 landings seen on youtube etc. are rather flatter, if not slightly nose down just before levelling off for touchdown. I myself did a nosewheel landing with the freeware IL-76 I have. Of course that's not remotely a real world indication at all... apart from the fact that the sim bird with full flaps does adopt a nose down attitude  :dance:

I wonder if there was nothing wrong with the runway, but only that it had not been swept properly? It's on a bit of a peninsula with the sea quite close by; salt maybe?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thank you for the video link Bill. Four things struck me..... what is the *%£# is runway made of and none of the pilots filled me with confidence.

There were quite a few other "acts" at the airshow that were not in this video. There are quite a few others on YouTube that do show excellently piloted aerobatic aircraft, sky divers, etc. that make up a typical Western style airshow.

Two of the few women army pilots were featured as well. Odd though that they were given some really old fighter jets to use... 2:17 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3oYWNzHsY8

The flight by girls pilots of supersonic fighters of the Korean People's Army reached the height of aeronautics.

Fr. Bill    

All of them are "vintage aircraft". I don't know the exact dates, but I suspect the newest one is at least twenty or more years old. According to the various news reports, they are only used on "Domestic Routes" and even so probably don't get used all that much since the U.N. has sanctions against anyone supplying fuel to NK.

Fr. Bill    

Totally weird..... still I'd rather go this airshow than a western one as this is the age of aircraft I would like to see. :Cuppa:  

• Upvote 1

Who was the blond haired caucasian guy at about 0.49 I wonder?

Regarding Air Koryo aircraft - a well travelled chap called Sam Chui has loads of videos on youtube about his trips on them. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Who was the blond haired caucasian guy at about 0.49 I wonder?

There were around 200 European "enthusiasts" who booked a tour to attend the airshow.

Frankly, I wouldn't enter NK for any reason, even if it were totally free, much less pay to enter!

It was very interesting to scan the crowd of attendees as well. I noticed that there was only one "overweight" person there though... :db:

Fr. Bill    

I noticed that there was only one "overweight" person there though

Probably tough to get a McDonald's franchise there. :smile: 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Would Kim Jong Adolf not like a Big Mac then?

Mark Robinson

Would Kim Jong Adolf not like a Big Mac then?

He is a fan of Disney and has his own version of copied Disney Characters he brings out for his personal celebrations. I bet he would love to visit Disneyland......but he can't

• Upvote 2

Matthew Kane