Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Quick Q for possible mis-install of NGX

I have a quick question regaridng install location.

I was analizing my install to see if I had messed something up when updating P3D from 3.2 to 3.3, checking incorrect/duplicate folders, etc.  (if interested: http://www.avsim.com/topic/495970-help-with-p3d-install-fix-upgrade/)

For now I located two folders that seem out of place.  One is:

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D

Analyzing the contents, it seems this is for the Saitek plugin, and I guess it-s not v2/v3 aware? as It chose to place its exe.xml file in there instead of same path but ending in "v3"

Now the other is in the documents folder...  I see this:

C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

Inside here I see some NGX tutorial files:

PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2 EHAM-LOWI Before Approach.fxml
PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2 EHAM-LOWI Before Pushback.fxml
PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2 EHAM-LOWI Before Takeoff.fxml
PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2 EHAM-LOWI Before Top of Descent.fxml
PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2 EHAM-LOWI Before Visual Approach.fxml
PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2 EHAM-LOWI Shut down at LOWI.fxml
PMDG 737NGX Tutorial #2 EHAM-LOWI.fxml
SimConnect.ini

So I guess what I'm asking is...

1) Are these PMDG files, or maybe from some other add-on I'm not aware of thathas a tutorial?

2) Is the location in documents correct?

3) Most importantly, why would it install in a "v2" named folder?  (I never had any v2 version installed...)

Thanks!!

1) Are these PMDG files, or maybe from some other add-on I'm not aware of thathas a tutorial?

Literally says PMDG in the file title, and there's a Tutorial #2 in your PMDG folder inside the root sim folder that you could verify against.

2) Is the location in documents correct?

Yes. Why do you think otherwise? Save a flight in P3D. Note where it goes.

3) Most importantly, why would it install in a "v2" named folder?  (I never had any v2 version installed...)

Estonia Migration Tool?

Kyle Rodgers

Literally says PMDG in the file title, and there's a Tutorial #2 in your PMDG folder inside the root sim folder that you could verify against.

Yes. Why do you think otherwise? Save a flight in P3D. Note where it goes.

Thinking otherwise out of ignorance of what the files are, and also because of your previous answer :) Since the PMDG folder's there, I thought all would be in there. Being saves, and that's where saves go, it's explained then.

Estonia Migration Tool?

Never used that... Anything else you can think of? I guess I would be ok just moving them into the correct folder and deleting the v2? (Although I would like to know why it happened, maybe in some log?).

Thanks ;)

(Although I would like to know why it happened, maybe in some log?)

I think there may actually be an issue with how something was coded that has been fixed for a future update. Just manually move them to the v3 folder and you'll be fine.

Kyle Rodgers

I think there may actually be an issue with how something was coded that has been fixed for a future update. Just manually move them to the v3 folder and you'll be fine.

Ah ok. I thought there wouldn't be any more updates for that one. In any case, not a big deal, I'll follow what you said then and just move them and delete the v2 folder.

Thanks!

I think there may actually be an issue with how something was coded that has been fixed for a future update.

Yeah, the tutorial files have always gone to the V2 folder. This is a good item for mantis, it comes up here every couple or months.

I find I like the idea of keeping all my saved flight fxml files in v3 and the flight plans separately in v2 folders... makes it easier to find things.  Happy accident.

Dan Downs KCRP

Kyle, extra Qs...

Do you know why the files would also be in the "Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" folder and also in the "Flight Simulator X Files"..? I only have SE, and never had the "standard" FSX installed here.