Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Considering Buying X-Plane X

I have watched some videos people have posted on line flying X-plane X and like what I saw. I tried several time to down load and run the Demo x plane and still have not been able to get a flyable 747. Other times the demo times out before I am ready to fly. If I buy the 8 DVD global package that is on sale from the company, ($49.99) will there be some sort of documentation or tutorials on how to set it up and what keys do what? How close to FSX is x-plane in this respect? Will I see comparable scenery/airports as in FSX?

I like the fact that it appears   to be a 64 bit program that might run OK on my i7 4790 /16Mb ram/500 GB SSD and a GTX 980 on the Windows 10 64 platform.

Or should I invest a few more dollars and go the P3D route? I do like the fact that I can get the program on physical discs and not have to buy on line as with P3D.

I would be interested in your feedback,

Terry

XP11 is coming, probably before the end of the year ... Maybe worth the wait ( ? )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

No reason to buy the DVDs. If you catch a sale on steam it is typically 50% off at $30.   For this price, no reason to wait to try it out...

Get it. 64 bit platform with significant growing payware and active quality freeware base. I'm using Steam which just upgraded to 10.51 version. Should run well on your 980.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I do not buy software on line and steam is on line, yes?

I do have a dvd of American Trucker that talks to steam at start up but I do not have to have a on line financial account with them for that. That is why the DVD of X-plane looked good although I have never been able to get the free demo to fly well enough to think running a DVD version might be any better.

Terry

If you don't mind flying USA only just go to amazon and buy the regional DVD - its 30 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/X-Plane-10-Regional-North-America/dp/B007TMFD7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475897346&sr=8-2&keywords=x-plane+10

Or buy the full scenery from xplane.com - it's only 50 bucks now.  I think it was 70 or 80 when I bought the regional pack off amazon a few years back

http://www.x-plane.com/store/desktop/buy-x-plane-10-on-dvd/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Honestly, wait for this weekend's news on their upcoming version, and then make your decision.

We should be able to see aspects like weather, seasonal textures and AI mentioned as focus for XP11. Otherwise, it's going to be more or less what it is already.

Of course there are many other aspects that would benefit from updates / fixes, but these three are probably the most widely asked - and this is because I don't really care about VR myself, because I do not intend to use it al all....

Ths being said, at the present state of affairs I would never invest again on a 32 bit platform. 64 bit is the standard now, and I don't think the most important advances expected for the future of flight simulation will be possible in a 32 bit platform...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, buy it now directly from x-plane.com, and you'll get XP 11 for free.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

32 bit is not the last word on our sims. P3D is a major leap over FSX, 32 bit though it still is.

I fly mostly to simulate a commercial aviation environment and XPX falls flat on its face for that. Most of my FSX payware addons work in P3D as well.

I have XPX and never fly it.

Depends upon what you seek in your flight sim.

spacer.png

Sorry 64 bit is something long overdo for FSX/P3D. If you want to endlessly fiddle with your settings so to not get OOMs then XP10-11 is the way to go. I buy all the ORBX stuff, payware airports, great video card and you're pulling out something, reducing graphics settings on something else etc.  and then defeating the whole purpose of the very products you buy to enhance visually the sim. It's time to move on from this 32 bit nonsense.

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Thanks for everyone's two cents on X-Plane. I guess that is why they make FSX,P3D, X-Plane and more. Then everyone can have something they like and enjoy.

I do believe though that the one common thread is that 32 bit programs are on the way out just as dial up modems and floppy drives. I do hope that the Flight Sim industry sees that they could and will make a lot more money selling current and cutting edge technology verses tried and true/dated systems. Innovation and progress come from a demand, and decline and stagnation from playing it safe and that is the way it has always been done attitude.

Have a Great Day and Sim-u-lator,

Terry

• Upvote 2