Sign in to follow this  
bill10

Upgraded to a 4k TV -- Lost some FPS

I had previously posted this but it was in the wrong forum. IE P3D forum

I just took the jump into 4K simming with FSX and for the most part I'm enjoying the new experience. I have a few questions if you guys can help out.

My setup is FSX (boxed), Windows 7, 4790K processor and a GTX 970.

I was using a 23inch 1080p monitor and have upgraded to a 40 inch 4K Samsung TV.

I'm running at 30hz and 3840 X 2160 resolution but with some decline in my FPS. If I understand correctly I'm pushing a lot more pixels and that's causing the reduction.  Am I correct there?

I run at full screen and if I go into windowed mode and reduce it to about half the size my FPS goes up by 10 to 15 frames. Is my 970 overtaxed?

Would I benefit by upgrading my video card? Maybe a Titan or 1080?

My AA is the same as before, using NVI with 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS] (Antialiasing Setting) and 2x Sparse Grid Super Sampling.

Am I correct in assuming I can lower my AA settings since I'm now using 4K?

What AA settings would reduce the pressure on my video card?

Thanks

Bill

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Yes you are seeing lower performance because of the higher resolution. You could try lowering your antialiasing settings because at such a high resolution I do not think you need 8x

4K is equivalent to running FSX on 4 x 1080 monitors. Of course you will loose performance.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I had previously posted this but it was in the wrong forum. IE P3D forum

You need to re-think your game plan - 4K should not need NI at all and run that thing at 60hz - just use Nvidia control panel set it to P3D global profile

FPS = Unlimited in P3D

Just these two changes All other settings factory Nvidia Control Panel P3D profile

Multi-display = single display performance mode

Power Managment mode = Prefer max performance

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Yes you are correct it is slower because of the increase in pixels.

You shouldn't assume a graphics card upgrade will fix it though.

It is boxed fsx so is reliant on your cpu.

First thing to do is check your gpu utilisation with gpuz and if it is not at 100% then it is not your card.

If you aren't maxing out your gpu then a gpu upgrade won't help you.

Chris

Thanks for your help and advice. I thought I was on the right track but wanted to get some expert advice. 

You need to re-think your game plan - 4K should not need NI at all and run that thing at 60hz - just use Nvidia control panel set it to P3D global profile

FPS = Unlimited in P3D

Just these two changes All other settings factory Nvidia Control Panel P3D profile

Multi-display = single display performance mode

Power Managment mode = Prefer max performance

Richard thanks for your advice. Im going to try some tests without NI. 

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Thanks for your help and advice. I thought I was on the right track but wanted to get some expert advice. 

Richard thanks for your advice. Im going to try some tests without NI. 

Good luck - should be better

Rich Sennett

It is boxed fsx so is reliant on your cpu.

The Steam version is just as reliant on the CPU. Using DX10 in either version offloads some work from the CPU to the GPU.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Yes I know the steam version is, my point was more a case of checking to see what gpu utilisation there is rather than blindly assuming an upgrade would work.

Chris

I run mine with no NVI as it is not needed in my opinion with P3D. I have the same system and average about 40FPS. Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Good luck - should be better

First few tests yielded better performance but quality did suffer. Still some testing to do. Its only certain elements of the scenery that gets degraded. Mostly fine lines that are used in the scenery, ie some runway edge lines etc.

First thing to do is check your gpu utilisation with gpuz and if it is not at 100% then it is not your card.
If you aren't maxing out your gpu then a gpu upgrade won't help you.

Chris thanks for the advice and I think you hit the nail on the head. I knew performance was going to take a hit, but I was somewhat hoping a video card upgrade might help. And yes as we all know to well FSX is CPU dependent.

May be looking at a P3D upgrade instead! 

The results of some quick tests: GPU utilization averaged 40 to 55%. CPU utilization, at times, hit 99%!

Sheldon

I run mine with no NVI as it is not needed in my opinion with P3D. I have the same system and average about 40FPS

Josh could you give me an idea of what display settings you are running and what add-ons you use.

Sheldon

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

First few tests yielded better performance but quality did suffer. Still some testing to do. Its only certain elements of the scenery that gets degraded. Mostly fine lines that are used in the scenery, ie some runway edge lines etc.

Ooops thought you were using P3D - my suggestion was for P3D - FSX is a waste of good hard drive space and time

Rich Sennett

Quick note, what is your CPU cooling set up? Your CPU (4790K) is a fantastic overclocker if you have the cooling to support it. Overclocking your CPU won't make worlds of difference, but it can help in CPU intensive programs such as P3D/FSX.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Ooops thought you were using P3D - my suggestion was for P3D - FSX is a waste of good hard drive space and time

No problem ... once I went back and read your suggestion again I kinda figured you thought I was using P3D.

FSX has treated me well over the years but I do believe its time to go get me a P3D upgrade. So all is not lost I'll try your advice with P3D!

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

No problem ... once I went back and read your suggestion again I kinda figured you thought I was using P3D.

FSX has treated me well over the years but I do believe its time to go get me a P3D upgrade. So all is not lost I'll try your advice with P3D!

There you go Bill - any questions just ask 

Rich Sennett