Sign in to follow this  
bill10

Upgraded to a 4k TV -- Lost some FPS

Quick note, what is your CPU cooling set up? Your CPU (4790K) is a fantastic overclocker if you have the cooling to support it. Overclocking your CPU won't make worlds of difference, but it can help in CPU intensive programs such as P3D/FSX.

Its a Corsair water cooling unit. Soon after upgrading to the 4K TV I did research overclocking since I knew good ole FSX was so CPU dependent. I have managed to get it to 4.7 with only a small increase in temps.

And your right it did help. I was just thinking maybe there was something else I could change to get more performance. Since I was pushing  so many more pixels I thought it might be the AA settings or my video card.

Reducing the AA has helped but the quality suffers. I posted here just to confirm what I think I already knew, if I want the eye candy and all the add-ons we all love, I might have to accept a little less performance and FPS.

Thanks for your advice Matt and I am going to try and get a stable higher OC if I can.

Sheldon

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Its a Corsair water cooling unit. Soon after upgrading to the 4K TV I did research overclocking since I knew good ole FSX was so CPU dependent. I have managed to get it to 4.7 with only a small increase in temps.

And your right it did help. I was just thinking maybe there was something else I could change to get more performance. Since I was pushing  so many more pixels I thought it might be the AA settings or my video card.

Reducing the AA has helped but the quality suffers. I posted here just to confirm what I think I already knew, if I want the eye candy and all the add-ons we all love, I might have to accept a little less performance and FPS.

Thanks for your advice Matt and I am going to try and get a stable higher OC if I can.

Sheldon

Going more than 4.7 is over the top - leave it at 4.7 your lucky to get that - anything more would be asking for trouble for not much gain

Rich Sennett

Going more than 4.7 is over the top - leave it at 4.7 your lucky to get that - anything more would be asking for trouble for not much gain

Been on vacation but I'm taking your advice and stopping at 4.7.  An upgrade to P3D is in my close future.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Been on vacation but I'm taking your advice and stopping at 4.7.  An upgrade to P3D is in my close future.

Perfect Bill if you find sim crashing bring it down to 4.6 and you should be fine - sim crashing is a dead give away of a bad OC especially if it was not an issue at a normal clock - never OC your video card - good to go   :wink:

Rich Sennett

Sheldon

Back to video card settings... if you set AA to 8XS and 2XSGSS in NI, you should have all the visuals you could want,

and still get reasonable performance.

Not sure P3D will help you that much - but by all means have a go :wink:

(still running FSX DX9..)

Bert

Back to video card settings... if you set AA to 8XS and 2XSGSS in NI, you should have all the visuals you could want,
and still get reasonable performance.

Thanks Bert!   I'm going to try your settings.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams