Sign in to follow this  
old_doggie

Level-D 767 and PMDG 737 owners

I have to agree. It is payware like the PMDG that brought me back to flightsimming. I actually spend more time browsing around sites like this, than actually flying, because it is the add-ons that make this hobby truly fun (at least for me). New add-on aircrafts, new airports, new textures, new mesh, traffic - and everytime I still get the *oooh* effect discovering some new things that I thought would never be possible.Have fun!Pat

Guest Pyjamas

Although payware is arguably better than freeware, there is still some awesome free stuff floating about.http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/ - has lots of classic British liners. I highly recommend the VC-10. Brilliant sound package!Pyjamas

Guest dolb

Payware like LDS and PMDG is what have kept me going with FS, I wouldn't use it without it.----I personally prefer LDS Over PMDG's 737NG, Its a newer product and has more of the 'features' Today's aircraft seem to come standard with, Although the 737NG is close behind.If you are an enthusiast on the 767 or 737NG you will probably enjoy the respective aircraft much, much more.

Guest jerrycwo4

I just purchased the Level-D 767 and what a great aircraft. I knew from also having the PMDG 373-700 there would be NO GPS which would leave me TOTALY lost. With a little bit of work and a LOT of luck I was sucessful in deleating a minor gauge display (#7) and replaced it with a GPS from another aircraft. I couldn't beleave it when it showed up and worked!!!! ( this is in the Level-D 767 ). I know this is a no no for purist, but I need it's help until I can figgure out the FMC( which I never did in the PMDG 737.I was VERY disappointed in the Level-D 767 as complete as it was when it had NO towing tug !!!! I don't know, for some reason a towing tug just really "tops" off a sim for me. I sure wish they would have added one.Having the engines running when FS2004 starts is also a plus. I did stop the engines once and get them restarted( by luck), so I'll have to try to figgure out just what I did. jerrycwo4

In the 737NG and similar aircraft with glass NDs and the GPS "guts" and perhaps IRS backup, the path is displayed (if desired) on the ND, similar to what you might see on the GPS display. I do not know if the latest NDs bother with or display terrain as do smaller aircraft nav displays.Even if you do not enter a route on the FMC, you can turn on display of waypoints, airports, and VORs. You just will not get a route.On the current 737NG FMCs by PMDG, you can also import as a "company route" a flightplan in their format as created by some flight planning applications.In the real world I'm not sure if a company dispatch created route can be transfered via some kind of portable media. Since the PIC is responsible to check the route, perhaps manual entry of the dispatch data is required as a check.Their is an excellent book out written for simmers by former airline captain Mike Ray with lots of training and real world practical suggestions. Look at his site http://www.utem.com/ for a description of all his materials (most are for real-world Boeing pilots) but the FS sim book for the 7xxx series is the least expensive at $30 and helped me quite a bit with understanding FMC applications and preflight (not systems as much) and flight operations with FMC assist. The book is available direct, amazon.com, simmarket, and pcaviator, perhaps others. I've got the 737NG but the 767 and other 700 series FMCs are similar.There is a brief discussion here on AVSIM. He himself made a reply under the posting author name of "Fang" a few weeks ago.

Guest dolb

Meh; The only aircraft that seem to have pushback tugs these days is POSKY [including CLS] and Dreamwings Dash 8 Q100/200

Guest bobsk8

>I just purchased the Level-D 767 and what a great aircraft. I>knew from also having the PMDG 373-700 there would be NO GPS>which would leave me TOTALY lost. With a little bit of work>and a LOT of luck I was sucessful in deleating a minor gauge>display (#7) and replaced it with a GPS from another aircraft.>I couldn't beleave it when it showed up and worked!!!! ( this>is in the Level-D 767 ). I know this is a no no for purist,>but I need it's help until I can figgure out the FMC( which I>never did in the PMDG 737.>>I was VERY disappointed in the Level-D 767 as complete as it>was when it had NO towing tug !!!! I don't know, for some>reason a towing tug just really "tops" off a sim for me. I>sure wish they would have added one.>>Having the engines running when FS2004 starts is also a plus.>I did stop the engines once and get them restarted( by luck),>so I'll have to try to figgure out just what I did.> jerrycwo4Do you use the Ground call to get a pushback. Even though there is no actual tug hooked up, I find being able to select the actual pushback length and direction and also being able to start the engines during the pushback, is alot of fun.

>I just purchased the Level-D 767 and what a great aircraft. I>knew from also having the PMDG 373-700 there would be NO GPS>which would leave me TOTALY lost. With a little bit of work>and a LOT of luck I was sucessful in deleating a minor gauge>display (#7) and replaced it with a GPS from another aircraft.>I couldn't beleave it when it showed up and worked!!!! ( this>is in the Level-D 767 ). I know this is a no no for purist,>but I need it's help until I can figgure out the FMC( which I>never did in the PMDG 737.>>I was VERY disappointed in the Level-D 767 as complete as it>was when it had NO towing tug !!!! I don't know, for some>reason a towing tug just really "tops" off a sim for me. I>sure wish they would have added one.>>Having the engines running when FS2004 starts is also a plus.>I did stop the engines once and get them restarted( by luck),>so I'll have to try to figgure out just what I did.> jerrycwo4You just removed 75% of what makes the LDS fun by removing the fmc and replacing it with the default FS9 gps gauge. There is only one way to learn how to work this plane: sit down with the manuals, the tutorials, and several six packs of your favorite brew and get cracking!The following documentation is available to help you:1) The LDS 767 manual3) Three different, clearly written tutorials; taking you from cold and dark to shutdown.4) Numeours faqs on the leveldsim forum pages. 5) A 9 minute long video, explaining auto land procedure. In addition to this, you will want to get the freeware fuel planner available for the 767 (link is on Level D's forum pages.).Now, here's how to start properly:1) Load up the flightsimulator2) Move the default cessna flight to an airport of your choice. 3) Now load the 767 from the aircraft menu. It will be loaded with running engines, basically "ready to taxi".4) Now go to the Level D panel entry and "import" the dark and cold cockpit. (Check the manual, if you have trouble finding this).5) Your shiny new 767 will now be "cold and dark."6) Save this flight. 7) Get tutorial #18) Follow the easy step by step instructions to get going. A good way to get started on getting a handle on the flight management computer, is to think of the fmc as asking you a series of questions it will need the answers to:1) Where am I? (Position and IRS alignment)2) Where are we going? (Route)3) What am I working with here? (Perf Init)4) How are we going to get where we want to be going?-Departure-Climb-Cruise-DescentSimplified, but you will get the picture.Trust me, it'll be worth it. Most of the questions that will come up can be solved by a) reading the manual :( searching the Level D forum c) posting a question on said forum. For full support you will need to register. (The only problem is the not too bright flight attendant, who will ask you every 3 minutes to change the temperature. Shut up already!)ricardo

WOW Thanks guys - My apologies for not responding sooner to all your great inputs on this question as my wife dragged me away, kicking and screaming I might add, to northern New York for the weekend shoping thing, oh well.The panel above might not look pretty however it is readable on my small screen hence my request for screen shots, mine eyes are not what they used to be. John and Pyjamas thanks for the links to the two sites I did check them.Michael J, yes I flew 707's, beautiful job by Mr.Boeing ..lol @ cramps. I tried the various 707 and 727 panels(some of which are extreamly well done indeed) same thing gauges are very difficult to read, as to correctly display panels such as 727 or 707 require a lot of realestate(maybe I'll get me one of those plasma jobs or at least 3 monitors). I tried reading the epr settings with these panels and at best was an aproximate.Tony B. I agree that glass is the way as it is nice and bright but the old "steam driven gauges" gave a good indication of trend which in a 707 or 727 is/was great for hand flying the thing as you can see on my hodge podge panel has a mixture of gauges tucked in there.Ricardo, Thank you very much for participating in this post and for you honest contribution. I go to great lengths to lend a hand/help here on these forums and in my own offerings to the flight sim community at large (via my little scenery projects and some guidance re flying or operations) if you take my request as one of laziness then you must, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, as you must have interpreted my post wrongly but thank you just the same. I do not have the time nor do I care to get bogged down in a verbage exchange but maybe your intention was honourable.Bob, MD83, Dan, Goon. thanks guys for the follow ups to the other post.Ron, thank you for your input and the discription of the panels etc. I am leaning towards the 767 as it is closer in size and wt to the 707 than the 737. Yes there is quite a bit of meterial to cover but I'll look upon this as a change in fleet to either AC and the traing that goes along with that. I have a few friends still flying with majors 737,767 and 777 so I'll get em to bring me up to speed on the FMC etc. each of them swear by the AC the respectively fly.Chris, Word Not Allowed, Pat, Dolb, jerrycw04 Yes, I guess I am missing out(hangs head) but heck I only got FS2004 about 4 or 5 mths ago so it takes me a while.Again thank you all for your responses which has helped. Looks more like the 767 than the 737 although Christmas will soon be here and ah yes those pesky kids of mine the fruit of my... maybe I'll drop some hints and could score both. ( mental note, write Santa)Regards,DouglasB-707 ret.

Guest jerrycwo4

Thanks for the imput on this subject. To clearify, I did NOT delete the FMC, I just installed the GPS inplace of the small gauge stack that was #8. I now have BOTH. Sorry to say, I still can not figgure out how to start the engines AFTER cutting the 2 fuel cutoffs, off. In 5-15 minutes I do get them both started using evey method I know for starting engines, i.e. e/1, ctrl-shift f4, ctrl/e and finally they start but then I have tried so many things that I don't know which ones were the correct steps so that I can do it correctly from the start. Is there a simple set of key strokes to start the engines? Thanks again for the time and effect to reply. jerrycwo4