Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Windows 10 causing user app defaults to reset

I began having this issue and knew right away it was something that users were not going to be happy about. A quick search showed that the storm was already building.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2447177/updategate-windows-10-is-resetting-default-apps-back-to-microsoft-stock

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/458821/an_app_default_was_reset_what_is_this_bs/

MICROSOFT HAS told The INQUIRER that it is aware of a bug which has been causing users' default programs to switch to the bundled Microsoft options. 

The saga began when a reader told us that, despite being a long time user of Irfanview as his primary photo app, he was greeted with a message saying: 'A default app has been reset,' only to discover that his new photo app was Photos, the bundled offering.

He traced the problem back to KB3135173, a cumulative update issued for February which was pushed out as an update last week. After deleting the update, he discovered the next day that Windows had reinstalled it, and reset the defaults again.

Now a Microsoft spokesman has told INQ, "We are aware of this issue that some customers are experiencing, and are actively working to resolve it." which at least rules out yet another 'we know what's good for you' decision. 

Other users have reported similar problems with IE 11 being reset to Edge, and the stock video player being changed back despite the fact that it doesn't support some of the formats for which it is making it the default.

Some forum members have gone so far as to suggest that reinstalling Windows is the only solution at present, although most are hanging on in the hope that perhaps a fix will follow.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Microsoft's new corporate philosophy seems to be:

"If it isn't broken yet, let's keep fixing it until it is..."

• Upvote 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The more they throw out to us with unsolicited updates, the more Windows 10 keeps getting worse.

On top of Breaking file associations joke, the worst for me is with one Laptop, The never ending graphics updates to Intel and nVidia drivers makes the screen flicker like an 80´s stroboscope.

(Only solution is to roll back any updates to those.)

And my PDF reader keeps going back to Edge. Nice one M$, class act :(

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I began having this issue and knew right away it was something that users were not going to be happy about. A quick search showed that the storm was already building.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2447177/updategate-windows-10-is-resetting-default-apps-back-to-microsoft-stock

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/458821/an_app_default_was_reset_what_is_this_bs/

Hardly trending (or a storm building) as this update came out in February! This is old news which isn't relevant any more. I installed Windows 10 in July, with automatic updates on, and after initially setting my default apps I haven't had to do it since.

The more they throw out to us with unsolicited updates, the more Windows 10 keeps getting worse.

On top of Breaking file associations joke, the worst for me is with one Laptop, The never ending graphics updates to Intel and nVidia drivers makes the screen flicker like an 80´s stroboscope.

(Only solution is to roll back any updates to those.)

No need to keep rolling back drivers. Whilst you can't turn off security updates in Windows 10, you can opt not to have driver updates - see http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hardly trending (or a storm building) as this update came out in February! This is old news which isn't relevant any more. I installed Windows 10 in July, with automatic updates on, and after initially setting my default apps I haven't had to do it since.

Interestingly enough, this only began happening to me after the latest update. Like many, I had disabled auto-updates, but windows anniversary edition apparently undid this for a lot of people, with the result that the issue is new to some.

User fixes seem to all involve messing with the registry, so I wont post those, but I might try it myself, as it has also began intermittently shutting down my sound card and switching to windows chosen default, as well as not liking my use of Irfanview and various other programs.

I agree about the title though and tried to change it to "Windows 10 causing user app defaults to reset" before posting. But for some reason it didn't stick.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I agree about the title though and tried to change it to "Windows 10 causing user app defaults to reset" before posting. But for some reason it didn't stick.

I fixed that for you!
  • Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Nope sorry. See no evil yet and my Win 10 is fully updated. My defaults are still the ones ruling my experience. And yes, I happen to think that Win 10 has gotten better and better. All is well.

Cheers,

Interestingly enough, this only began happening to me after the latest update. Like many, I had disabled auto-updates, but windows anniversary edition apparently undid this for a lot of people, with the result that the issue is new to some.

Does this mean that you've previously not installed any updates since before February this year? Although I'm not a big fan of the way Windows 10 handles updates, I still think that regular security updates are essential.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

My previous computer kept failing to update to the Win 10 "Anniversary Edition" about 20 times. Unrelated to that I bought a new i7-6700 based system which came with that edition of Win 10 already installed (Lucky me!).

Now all I have to worry about is the Bill Gates Birthday Edition which is coming up on 10/28.

• Upvote 1

...Now all I have to worry about is the Bill Gates Birthday Edition which is coming up on 10/28.

The next major update is not expected until spring 2017 according to most sites. Your source?

Does this mean that you've previously not installed any updates since before February this year?

Pretty much. And yes I think updates under my control are essential. But since windows began doing updates without telling people exactly what they were, I lost interest in having my machine randomly messed with for unknown reasons. (Trust us)

I think a lot of people felt that way, and that pressure is whats forced MS to once again ( albeit tersely) document said updates.

The next major update is not expected until spring 2017 according to most sites. Your source?

I believe that was a joke?

Devons rig

Pretty much. And yes I think updates under my control are essential. But since windows began doing updates without telling people exactly what they were, I lost interest in having my machine randomly messed with for unknown reasons.

Whilst I sympathise, you do miss out on essential security updates and bug fixes which can be vital to protect your system.

I believe that was a joke?

Probably, but I'm too tired to spot humour without an obvious pointer today!