Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Imagine snow falling and slowly building up in real-time. A developer doesn't need to provide 4 different versions of a texture like in FSX, but instead effects are applied that change the scenery in real-time. I think even FlightGear (the opensource simulator) has some form of this and it's present in some modern games.

As long the snow stays on the ground for about 8 months as Matt said (lol), then I'm ok with dynamic seasons.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Does anyone actually use the default ATC in any sim? They are all really bad in my opinion. If you are serious about having good ATC then flying online or using a paid service like PilotEdge is probably the best we have for now (Coverage pending of course)

in this point I totally agree with your opinion - It´s only one of the points from the "community wishlist" (and as I said, everything can´t be implemendet)

and do not understand me wrong, I´m looking forward for the XP11, but I´m little disappointed about the "unchanged" weather engine (that´s do not mean that there will not be some improvements in the future), f.e. the fog presentation looks very good compared to XP10, at least .... :smile:

cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Does anyone actually use the default ATC in any sim?

Well....does anyone actually use the default aircraft? Think about it.....

• Upvote 1

Nothing really interesting besides the limited eye candy stuff. Still no decent weather, ATC or AI which is extremely important for commercial flying. I'm happy to see some kind of improvements, and of course I'll try it out, but still sad to see the path X-Plane is headed. The only thing X-Plane has going for it is the night lighting, and that's to some degree, still looks horrible when flying in pitch dark and you can see where the lights cut off in a square radius around your plane. The moon and the sun overlaying on top of the horizon are 2 very simple things that haven't even been fixed yet, and I've mentioned this to Ben many times. I'm sure he's aware of this.

The new UI is a welcoming change, but until I see weather, atc and AI being implemented, I'll only see X-Plane as a casual sim thats missing vital features.

PBR is a big deal ! The new sound engine is amazing ! The new fog effect looks awesome ! Xplane has AI, what do you want it to do ? Why is important to commercial flying ? ATC can be improved but its never going to equal the real thing. I don't remember FSX ATC being impressive ? What kind of improvements are you looking for in the Weather engine ? I would like to see towering cumulus clouds !

I am disappointed with the new iphone 7. I was hoping for a OLED screen with no bezels. But is still a awesome functional phone !

• Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Well....does anyone actually use the default aircraft? Think about it.....

Ha ha, well you'd be surprised. They did a survey some time ago and the majority of their users actually fly with the mouse and the default aircraft 

Any information on how is traffic gonna be implemented?

Do you mean the ground traffic? A newer version of WED will be released along with XP11 to allow the routes to be edited, but I believe the engine will do it's best to make the vehicles work without them. If it adds a little bit of life to all of the airports it will be a welcome addition.

NOP.

But the seasonal weather changes are there in XP10 already like icing which I have noticed a few times, but the icing simulation is very very fast which I doubt would be the case in a real world scenario.

I've read accounts of real-world icing coming on fairly quickly, but it does seem to be too much of an On-Off switch in X-Plane.

If you start to feel the plane getting heavy, you should be able to turn around 180 degrees and fly *out* of the weather that's causing it. Or change altitude, although I've heard that's not always a great idea when you're into a bad icing situation.

But in X-Plane, once you're in an injected METAR where the sim thinks you should experience icing, you can't fly out of it! It surrounds your plane in a 360 degree circle that travels with you, like all other weather effects. And so we're back to needing a better weather engine that can model things like weather fronts as discrete systems you can fly in and out of, instead of simple horizontal layers surrounding your plane.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Ha ha, well you'd be surprised. They did a survey some time ago and the majority of their users actually fly with the mouse and the default aircraft 

Some time ago I used a rallye simulator * (don't remember which one, but one of the most realistic ones) - the stock simulator, mind you ... and had looots of fun.

After some time, I discovered that there are numerous mods (other cars, other tracks, ...). I'm quite sure, the hardcore users of this simulator asked "who the hell is using the default cars and tracks?".

All these guys asking "who is using default ATC/planes/...?" - do you see the striking pararells? Lots of people don't even know that there is an addon market (be it free- or payware) for flight sims.

* I did some real racing before discovering flying and flight sims.

I've read accounts of real-world icing coming on fairly quickly, but it does seem to be too much of an On-Off switch in X-Plane.

If you start to feel the plane getting heavy, you should be able to turn around 180 degrees and fly *out* of the weather that's causing it. Or change altitude, although I've heard that's not always a great idea when you're into a bad icing situation.

But in X-Plane, once you're in an injected METAR where the sim thinks you should experience icing, you can't fly out of it! It surrounds your plane in a 360 degree circle that travels with you, like all other weather effects. And so we're back to needing a better weather engine that can model things like weather fronts as discrete systems you can fly in and out of, instead of simple horizontal layers surrounding your plane.

As far as I remember, I did a test once - I modified the dataref for ice on the wings to have ice instantly and not waiting for building up ice. Then I switched on anti ice and observed the "icing" dataref decreasing. It is already some time, so I don't remember details and for sure the icing model could be improved (if it not already was improved somewhat in the XP10 run - but I'm not certain about this).

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Was there any word at the conference about whether v11 will continue to be sold as a DVD box set, as well as online purchase? I've been curious about that. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

That's highly disappointing and somewhat puzzling. They must be at least somewhat aware that their current weather implementation is extremely sub-par for a flight simulator.

I'd give up every single change announced in X-Plane 11 for improved weather, honestly.

Is the default weather system really that much better in P3D?

Tony;

Did they mention, minimum recommended system specifications?

Is the default weather system really that much better in P3D?

Well, yes, as it allows to-the-horizon weather properly and doesn't reload upon entering arbitrary tiles. What's more important, is that it allows developers full access via the SDK, meaning we're seeing sublime weather engines and complete overhauls like Sky Force.

• Upvote 6

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB