Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Well, yes, as it allows to-the-horizon weather properly and doesn't reload upon entering arbitrary tiles. What's more important, is that it allows developers full access via the SDK, meaning we're seeing sublime weather engines and complete overhauls like Sky Force.

So the developer support is the important aspect here because as far as I know P3D's default weather is nothing to write home about especially if those two features are what you can point to being better than XP.

So the developer support is the important aspect here because as far as I know P3D's default weather is nothing to write home about especially if those two features are what you can point to being better than XP.

The FSX and P3D default engine is superior to the garbage that X-Plane comes with, that's for sure. And I didn't know you wanted the full list of what's better about FSX / P3D's weather implementation, then here goes; EVERYTHING. From fog, to distant mist, to thunderstorms, to visual rendering, to its performance, to cloud variety, cloud shadows (P3D), SDK access, proper cloud shading, simply everything is better. I'd take the default implementation over SkyMaxx too. Developers just don't have access to the proper means of modifying X-Plane's weather because the core implementation and the SDK is rubbish when it comes to weather.

And the second you slap on some different cloud textures and something like Active Sky, P3D's weather rockets onto a completely different planet, leaving X-Plane in the dust. There's simply no competition,

• Upvote 12

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The FSX and P3D default engine is superior to the garbage that X-Plane comes with, that's for sure. And I didn't know you wanted the full list of what's better about FSX / P3D's weather implementation, then here goes; EVERYTHING. From fog, to distant mist, to thunderstorms, to visual rendering, to its performance, to cloud variety, cloud shadows (P3D), SDK access, proper cloud shading, simply everything is better. I'd take the default implementation over SkyMaxx too. Developers just don't have access to the proper means of modifying X-Plane's weather because the core implementation and the SDK is rubbish when it comes to weather.

Jesús calm down mate. Sorry I ruffled your panties.

• Upvote 2

Hmmm, that's an odd way of responding to something you asked for.

• Upvote 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

He seems quite calm to me.

• Upvote 6

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

And the second you slap on some different cloud textures and something like Active Sky, P3D's weather rockets onto a completely different planet, leaving X-Plane in the dust. There's simply no competition,

I agree with your assessment, but why use offensive terms? After all you're posting in the X-Plane forum. I think threads would start to easily spiral out of control if I went e.g. to the P3D or DCS forum and start using offensive terms referring to their features.

• Upvote 4

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I agree with your assessment, but why use offensive terms? After all you're posting in the X-Plane forum. I think threads would start to easily spiral out of control if I went to the P3D forum and start using offensive terms referring to its features.

Because I honestly don't know what else to call it. I'd be lying if I called them 'serviceable' or 'okay', something diplomatic. The only word I can tie to their current and previous implementation is garbage, it really is. I play X-Plane, I love X-Plane, it's going to be my primary sim going forward but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. X-Plane has so many great things going for it but the weather is such a recurring problem. Especially because it's such an important element for a flight simulator.

Even when you drop quite a bit of money for the SkyMaxx + RWC combo, combine it into Ventura Sky, you are still left with something that has a hard time competing with the default implementation in P3D on a number of levels. It's hard not to get disappointed and slightly frustrated, especially because it doesn't seem like a priority for the LR guys. We could be waiting years before we see or hear something and that's a damn shame.

But enough of that, just beating a dead horse now :)

• Upvote 8

Having looked at the whole presentation and screenshots on the website the new lighting does look fantastic. The sound engine improvements sound (sic) exciting as well. 

I'm disappointed about seasons and weather getting no attention, and was hoping the textures would have been updated, but it looks like enough of an improvement to stump $70 up for.

Andras: I guess mesh treatment is the same so all the HD meshes will work with 11?

Tony: Was there anything in the presentation that gave you new ideas or renewed optimism for W2XP?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Looks good.

Although I initially thought they'd got their priorities wrong with the UI (Dovetail similarly did this with Flightschool), I like the look of the new interface.  I really like that it will be possible to chose a ramp start from the quick flight screen and that you're shown a map of the airport to select locations from.

Its surprised me in the past how often the default FSX C172 is used for basic checkrides and online flight training, but on that basis I'm happy to see the XP 172 getting some attention.  I also think that decent 3D cockpits are more than 'eye-candy' and hope that the improvements to the default aircraft encourage 3rd party developers to make further improvements.

My graphics card has 3gb memory and I think I might need to upgrade soon.

edit: Also, is XP11 likely to be released on Steam on launch day?

And although supporting the developers is a good thing, is there any other benefit to buying it now over waiting for release?

Thanks.

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

In the presentation I noticed a bullet point that said "the Particle System has been rewritten, and 3rd parties now have access to it". Does this now mean that we will probably finally see something from FSFX Packages coming to XPlane 11?

Maybe IXEG Immersion? That would be fantastic!

I like the new GUI. It's artsy with a visual representation in the center screen, but has powerful controls on the outsides. Basically it's the best of both worlds.

And that FMS ! Updatable with SIDS/STARS/IAP's - sweet. Just one niggle - I hope we can select an instrument approach without first selecting a STAR.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Wonder if they fixed the light pop in at night....

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I am for XP11 ,  XP10 is providing me with enough wow moments so with that new lighting and the C172 it should be way better and the XP10 aircraft also would work in XP11 with the scenery which is really good. I can stay with the way the weather is implemented but I feel there will be some change in XP11 even if it's not a big one.

Digital download seems fine else it will be highly expensive for me. I will wait till Jan-Feb b4 purchase. Hopefully will have a new system in place by then.

As to some form of weather visuals there is XEnviro in the works by a Russian developer and it will be a 64 bit one.

One thing I did forget to mention or ask , about the landclass files the .xes ones will they be with newer data ? I don't know how it works or the technology behind to get / make these files but my guess is that is what gets put into a mesh so if the .xes does not have good data or some, it looks terrible. e.g. Southern India where I made the mesh and the more i head south it looks real bad.

Just tried Xenviro again but in 32 bit mode , too me it looked pretty good except the clouds was always around the aircraft

PA11-Floats_1.png

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

This is with 60% clouds with XP 32 bit using Xenviro, I used the XP default weather download.  The weather menu showed as Cumulus Ocast @FL90

Test.jpg

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

The FSX and P3D default engine is superior to the garbage that X-Plane comes with, that's for sure.

I disagree, when comparing default weather engines FSX comes first then XPlane then P3D. Why? P3D can't even inject real world weather on its own, that's the most basic function for a weather engine in my opinion.
  • Upvote 3