Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Interesting. Some things I like, some things I don't. Does anyone know where he is flying in the Cessna (around 1:20h)? I like the Cessna but that airport is completely empty (?) and that city, is that supposed to be Europe? Looks like one of those desert states in the US. Flat colors, very empty... ugly trees btw. Still, I am more and more thinking about not getting Orbx LOWI but, for a few dollars more, XP11. It certainly gives you more worth for your money compared to one airport... ;) Some of the other default planes also look very good for default planes.

What do the beta testers think about the default ground textures? Have they been improved/changed, or is there no noticable difference compared to 10?

What do the beta testers think about the default ground textures? Have they been improved/changed, or is there no noticable difference compared to 10?

There's no noticeable difference at all. Same old scenery (except the European autogen)

Interesting. Some things I like, some things I don't. Does anyone know where he is flying in the Cessna (around 1:20h)? I like the Cessna but that airport is completely empty (?) and that city, is that supposed to be Europe? Looks like one of those desert states in the US. Flat colors, very empty... ugly trees btw. Still, I am more and more thinking about not getting Orbx LOWI but, for a few dollars more, XP11. It certainly gives you more worth for your money compared to one airport... ;) Some of the other default planes also look very good for default planes.

Yeah, scenery can be disappointing when coming to XP from Orbx country, but it looks like the beta doesn't include airport buildings which should definitely be there in the release. If I understand correctly the scenery architecture is pretty much the same as XP10 so it should fill out pretty nicely. 

Also once people start downloading and installing HD meshes and maybe start tweaking the atmospherics I get the impression it'll look quite stunning. Definitely worth a punt...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yeah, scenery can be disappointing when coming to XP from Orbx country, but it looks like the beta doesn't include airport buildings which should definitely be there in the release. If I understand correctly the scenery architecture is pretty much the same as XP10 so it should fill out pretty nicely. 

Also once people start downloading and installing HD meshes and maybe start tweaking the atmospherics I get the impression it'll look quite stunning. Definitely worth a punt...

Not really fair comparing stock scenery to payware ;)

Not really fair comparing stock scenery to payware ;)

Agreed, but for some people looking for a compelling reason to try, it's kind of unavoidable.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Agreed, but for some people looking for a compelling reason to try, it's kind of unavoidable.

Well there is always Ortho4XP which can make some amazing scenery for free.

I love the look of the 737.  The modelling is amazing.   But that 747  It looks like its been standing out in the Mojave desert for 20 years. lol

Lots of stuff to be excited about here.  Great new interface - but the weather.  Oh the weather....

I recently installed my ORBX stuff again using their new application and the difference in experience is as clear as night and day. There is simply no equivalent product yet for X-Plane and the same question gets asked repeatedly. I think X-Plane still beats ORBX though when you compare how it renders mountains and night-time scenery (except for the snow).

This is true, but it also requires a huge amount of disk-space and effort for the user (Something the majority don't want to do). Also, there are a lack of decent orthos for many areas I want to fly in, e.g. Australia, New Zealand and Norway.

Still, I am more and more thinking about not getting Orbx LOWI but, for a few dollars more, XP11. It certainly gives you more worth for your money compared to one airport... ;)

Thats a very interesting way to put it. I am quite happy spending lots of money on planes, scenery (mostly great & free in xplane!) but buying a new sim is a different question (il-2 is on my whislist for quite some time). Spending money is a rather irrational matter for me.

Yeah, scenery can be disappointing when coming to XP from Orbx country,

Thats wasn't true for me with norway. i enjoyed norway pro in xp10 way more than Orbx rendition of it.

Kind regards
John 

I have yet to see Ortho4XP scenery that amazes me... What I've seen so far looks just like the usual FSX photoreal crap: odd colors, low res, lack of autogen and if there is any it doesn't look to good. U'd love to see some amazing Orhto4XP screenshots (or preferably video's) so if someone has a link... I don't really mind if it takes a lot of time to get things done as long as it is not too hard to learn. And, preferably, as long as I can create Norwegian scenery with it.

Thats a very interesting way to put it. I am quite happy spending lots of money on planes, scenery (mostly great & free in xplane!) but buying a new sim is a different question (il-2 is on my whislist for quite some time). Spending money is a rather irrational matter for me.

Yes, haha, it is a bit odd how people 'easily' spend money on one airport or plane but have a hard time justifying the purchase of an entire sim that comes with (in the case of XP11) quite a few interesting planes and a lot of graphical improvements. But I do understand the 'investement idea' behind that 'logic'. 

I have yet to see Ortho4XP scenery that amazes me... What I've seen so far looks just like the usual FSX photoreal crap: odd colors, low res, lack of autogen and if there is any it doesn't look to good. U'd love to see some amazing Orhto4XP screenshots 

Are we talking about the same Ortho4XP  :fool:  

http://www.x-plane.it/viewtopic.php?t=29445&f=5&sid=9016a1a352ed63f953eae74318e97857

http://www.x-plane.it/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29412

• Upvote 1

I have yet to see Ortho4XP scenery that amazes me... What I've seen so far looks just like the usual FSX photoreal crap: odd colors, low res, lack of autogen and if there is any it doesn't look to good. U'd love to see some amazing Orhto4XP screenshots (or preferably video's) so if someone has a link

Not sure where you are looking, but really nothing (payware or freeware) beats Ortho4XP  :wink:

Here are some of Ortho4XP in Norway (Click to enlarge) and Norway Pro (an update I'm working on). I can't wait to try this in XP11 with the new lighting  :wub: 

Alabeo_R66_1.jpg

Alabeo_R66_2.jpg

Alabeo_R66_3.jpg

Alabeo_R66_22.jpg

Alabeo_R66_23.jpg

I have the entire country in this detail :-)

• Upvote 4

Free? Time is money, at least for me. I'd rather buy quality scenery than spending hours over hours with questionable prospect of success, and take the wee bit time I have for flying. One may also think if it makes sense having thousands of people creating the same scenery just for themselves. 

That's me, of course. I uderstand others might well be exciting seeing their creations.

Edit: Just saw your pix, Tony. That's something I definitely can't do and given it's free it's beyond doubt. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This is true, but it also requires a huge amount of disk-space and effort for the user (Something the majority don't want to do). Also, there are a lack of decent orthos for many areas I want to fly in, e.g. Australia, New Zealand and Norway.

+1

I have made photoreal scenery for the Pilotedge area, but only because it's a managable amount of data. There is no way I would want to do this for a whole country or any larger area, no matter how comfortable those tools might be or get in the future.

I would rather pay for good photoreal scenery. By good I mean at least ZL16, contrast and color corrected.