Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Nice, but none of the vehicles have shadows...? I hope the video creator forgot to turn that option on? Looks odd without shadows.

There is an option in xp to enable the aircraft shadows (for those who wanna save FPS) and another option to enable global shadows including objects, seems he does not have it on.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Nice, but none of the vehicles have shadows...? I hope the video creator forgot to turn that option on? Looks odd without shadows.

Definitely a deal breaker for me along with the fact that the amount of static wicks does not compare with the real thing :)

groetjes

There's much to like here and 64 bit is a major plus for a modern sim.  But, I got all excited about X-Plane 10 and thought that it would replace FSX for me.  But, the empty airports, lack of seasons, goofy AI, clunky UI and poor ATC returned me to FSX and eventually to P3D V3.  It appears that the same things that I missed in 10 are going to be missing in 11 although (again) I'm looking for good reasons to make a switch.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Nah... doesn't have to be so complex.... I would be satisfied with at least the same we have had for more than 16 yrs in MSFS and ELITE IFR, we have in P3D, Flight Gear, IL2 Battle of Stalingrad and DCS World....

I'd rather prefer them to spend more time fixing the flight dynamics quirks :-)  and implementing nice weather, visually and effects-wise....  You're too demanding Janov...

This time I agree with Jcomm, moon phases are a secondary feature after all, but why not make them correct, considering that all the other flight simulators have them correct?

Much more important for realism instead, is the correct lighting level at dusk. In X-Plane 10, it was pitch black when in reality it still was civil twilight. From the various beta videos, it's clear that they changed the sunrise/sunset lighting for XP11. Let's see if the lighting level at dusk is more correct as well (or at least if it can be changed editing the shaders, as I managed to do in XP10 although I never made the modified shaders public).

The flight dynamics can always be improved of course, but at the moment I think the priority should be to improve the friction ground model. After the former "torque bug" has been resolved, I think the ground friction should be now at the top of the list.

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Its an popular option to turn global shadows off.  Basically in complex airports or other places with lots of shadows it just costs you too much fps. So people prefer more fps and just accurate shadows on their own plane.

There's much to like here and 64 bit is a major plus for a modern sim.  But, I got all excited about X-Plane 10 and thought that it would replace FSX for me.  But, the empty airports, lack of seasons, goofy AI, clunky UI and poor ATC returned me to FSX and eventually to P3D V3.  It appears that the same things that I missed in 10 are going to be missing in 11 although (again) I'm looking for good reasons to make a switch.

well the UI is pretty much top notch with xp11,  airports out of the box are nowdays with the lego airports better than stock fsx/p3d,  seasons is still an issue but they are aware of it and their reasoning behind it is pretty sound and it will be adressed during the v11 cycle.  ATC is as good/bad as stock P3D/FSX.

At the end of the day you will never get a clone of FSX/P3D,  there will always be better and worse comparing the two.  If you want full tubeliner simulation between megahubs p3d will win and probably keep winning for a good while, but if you are willing to try something new and take a compromise here and there, you are in for a treat. For me sitting at heathrow in a queue in x-plane with vatsim running and not being affraid that i will oom if I dont take off in the next 15min  if profoundly more satisfying than the (albeit insanely spectaculary good) FSLABS in the same environment in FSX

60$ investment for the sim and maybe 30$ (especially during current black friday sale) payware aircraft will keep you entertained for a long time and you can perfectly use both sims at the same time. Freeware/donationware, especially in scenery, is spectaculary good and keeps the investment down.

• Upvote 2

seasons is still an issue but they are aware of it and their reasoning behind it is pretty sound and it will be adressed during the v11 cycle

I don't think this was promised. They mentioned how they'd like it to work in an ideal world, but no word on whether we will actually get it. But who knows, we could be surprised

I don't think this was promised. They mentioned how they'd like it to work in an ideal world, but no word on whether we will actually get it. But who knows, we could be surprised

Considering how ambitious their goal is for seasons, I would be very surprised to see it during the v11 cycle.

Since there is a clear demand for it, I think it's more likely that we'll see a 3rd party add-on before long that uses texture overlays. I remember there was a free add-on like that a while back, and it wasn't too bad. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Since there is a clear demand for it, I think it's more likely that we'll see a 3rd party add-on before long that uses texture overlays. I remember there was a free add-on like that a while back, and it wasn't too bad. 

One 3rd party weather developer already stated they have plans to add seasons based on textures, skip to 1h 16min:30s  (he said it in a stream on their weather beta product in xp10)

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Considering how ambitious their goal is for seasons, I would be very surprised to see it during the v11 cycle.

You mean the accumulating snow? Because procedural seasons should be easy and quickly done with only a few opengl code lines.

Was expecting XP11 today...hoping for tomorrow. They still say "coming November".

Could you please send those few code lines to Laminar? I'm sure they will implement them as quickly as you write them :P

• Upvote 1

One 3rd party weather developer already stated they have plans to add seasons

Interesting ... I use Real Weather Connector and SkyMaxx Pro ... can you ID the dev that plans to do seasons?  Seasons in other sims are texture sets (usually batched Photoshop jobs and/or some other automated process) but the source belongs to the dev and is deployed with the dev's product.  I'm going to assume this dev will be using texture sets for default AG tiles which is similar to how it's done on other sim platforms?

Ben's idea (or Austin) of using real time accumulation of snow as a possibility seems highly unlikely with current PC hardware ... texture swapping is really the only practical implementation in a flight simulator (just too many other CPU/GPU intensive tasks happening to allow for the processing requirements of accumulated snow in real time).  EDIT: two lines of code?  errr, NO!  unless you are talk texture swapping and NOT real time snow accumulation.

My hope is SkyMaxx or someone else comes out with better looking and more variable clouds that don't take a huge performance hit so I can set cloud distance > 10-20mi.  As I understand it XP10 (10.5) interpolates winds aloft and only use two values from the real world NOAA data rather than all the wind data values from 3000, 6000, 9000, 12000, 18000, 24000, 30000, 34000, 39000.  The interpolation seems linear which is definitely not a good approximation to real world wind data ... I'm hoping XP11 will address this.

Looking forward to whatever XP11 offers, it seems like a huge improvement over XP10 ... I like the idea of PBR, lets see how OpenGL handles it at 4K.

Cheers, Rob.

Ben's idea (or Austin) of using real time accumulation of snow as a possibility seems highly unlikely with current PC hardware ... texture swapping is really the only practical implementation in a flight simulator (just too many other CPU/GPU intensive tasks happening to allow for the processing requirements of accumulated snow in real time).  EDIT: two lines of code?  errr, NO!  unless you are talk texture swapping and NOT real time snow accumulation.

I don't know what exaclty Ben has in mind but FlightGear already does something like this: http://www.flightgear.org/tours/simulating-the-ever-changing-scenery/

We thought the very same thing about 64 bit architecture in XPX. It was implemented fairly early during 10's run. I'm not saying it will happen though.