Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

I don't know what exaclty Ben has in mind but FlightGear already does something like

That's not really accumulated snow, it's another form of blending textures ... but it's certainly "good enough" for my desires and would be a welcome addition ... do you have any video of it in action?

Most of the technical papers I've read on real time accumulation of snow (occlusion or other methods) have all come to the conclusion of high performance demands and very very high memory demands.  Here is a good (older) article ... certainly more than two lines of code but provides some of the basic mathematics involved.  Basic idea is surface-bound accumulation buffers with height maps per object in the scene ... series of quads rendered per pixel of the occlusion projection ... map to corresponding accumulation height map ... add some tessellation and coloring offset ... viola we have accumulated snow.  This is definitely not trivial on the performance side, but certainly "doable" on the math side ... I'd love to seem some type of implementation even if it's currently unusable due to performance limitations of today's hardware.

Cheers, Rob.

Even if Austin mentioned "accumulating snow" in the interviews, I doubt they will implement such a complex method as the one described in the paper, more likely it will be something similar to what FlightGear currently does with shaders, i.e. colors of the vegetation smoothly changing according to seasons, and a simple implementation of varying snow coverage on the ground/trees/etc., as can be seen in the screenshots of FlightGear linked above.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Looks like public beta has just been released. Go easy on the download guys ;-)

I won't bother for trying it for 15 minutes. I am waiting for it to be released on Steam. Would have been nice to know if they plan on doing that by now at least

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I don't think you'll see it on Steam until at least RC. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah yeah i know that, i just wanted to know if it would have been released on Steam at all :D

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I don't think you'll see it on Steam until at least RC. 

Better to buy it off Laminar to directly support them. I always regretted buying XP10 trough steam because of it.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

The public beta is for those who bought the digital download version, because the installer will ask the verification key. But some are reporting the demo is up also.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

It's asking for a license :sad: no demo 

Disregard i got an email from them :) 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

It's asking for a license no demo 

Try the link in my previous post. The installers are different

Seems like LR disabled the demo for the time being.

NO.  I had already subscribed hence i got an email with the demo link and I am downloading.  Maybe they have disabled the site demo link maybe

Try the link in my previous post. The installers are different

I got an email and downloading from there :)

That's not really accumulated snow, it's another form of blending textures ... but it's certainly "good enough" for my desires and would be a welcome addition ... do you have any video of it in action?

Most of the technical papers I've read on real time accumulation of snow (occlusion or other methods) have all come to the conclusion of high performance demands and very very high memory demands.  Here is a good (older) article ... certainly more than two lines of code but provides some of the basic mathematics involved.  Basic idea is surface-bound accumulation buffers with height maps per object in the scene ... series of quads rendered per pixel of the occlusion projection ... map to corresponding accumulation height map ... add some tessellation and coloring offset ... viola we have accumulated snow.  This is definitely not trivial on the performance side, but certainly "doable" on the math side ... I'd love to seem some type of implementation even if it's currently unusable due to performance limitations of today's hardware.

Cheers, Rob.

I also use FG and they have something for the season which is I think enabled with the Rembrandt rendering (FG Only) , the problem is the texture quality and terrain quality of FG but otherwise they have amazing seasonal trees believe me i like them and also regional specific. I went to HUTO (Tororo) and the there are African trees. The trees sway with the wind

I am not too interested in the seasons but the weather depiction is something I will always want.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I think it depends on which installer you download. There is also a demo one http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

The exe loads but it asks for serial key.  I clicked on your exact link

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |