Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

PFD in the NGX looking like a ground texture and then CTD?!

I posted this over in the PMDG support forum as well so sorry for cross-posting but figured the audience in here is probably much bigger. Also I'm not sure if this is an issue specific to the NGX or caused by something else.

So I was flying ESSA-LEMG to check out the new Aerosoft Malaga scenery and shortly after I started my decent I brought up the PFD to set the local QNH at LEMG and this is what I got  :Doh:

NGX%20PFD.jpg

As soon as I minimized the PFD again into it's normal size and position it looked just fine. I tried bringing it up several times but every time the same result seeing some ground texture instead of the PFD.

I then figured I would try if this was specific to only the PFD or if it was the same thing with the NAV display, the ENG display etc and this I shouldn't have done...

The NAV display turned up just fine but when trying to bring up the ENG display I got the blue spinning Windows cursor and the lovely message in the title bar of P3D it wasn't responding. Not exactly the kind of message you want after flying for more than 3 hours and already descending to your destination airport.

Checking the Windows application log this is what it said and as you can see the faulting package full name is blank so not much of a clue there what happened and why.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:          2016-10-08 18:31:44
Event ID:      1002
Task Category: (101)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      TheNest
Description:
The program Prepar3D.exe version 3.3.5.17625 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 1094
 Start Time: 01d2215f79955db2
 Termination Time: 40
 Application Path: F:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
 Report Id: aea530b3-8d74-11e6-9ca2-d8cb8a9b8f26
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-08T16:31:44.631686500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1579</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>TheNest</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.3.5.17625</Data>
    <Data>1094</Data>
    <Data>01d2215f79955db2</Data>
    <Data>40</Data>
    <Data>F:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>aea530b3-8d74-11e6-9ca2-d8cb8a9b8f26</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

When I first noticed the weird PFD/ground texture box I thought to myself maybe in some weird way a ground texture overwrote a NGX texture however that would be possible but then after rebooting my PC and restarting P3D the PFD looked normal again when brought up and bringing up the ENG display didn't cause P3D to stop responding so I really wouldn't know what happened or why.

I guess I can only hope this was one of those one-time-only kind of bugs and I guess this is what I got for reverting back to P3Dv3.3 from P3Dv3.4...

Don't you just love this hobby! Maybe it's time to reinstall GTA V and get rid of some of the frustration :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Maybe something to do with being on the VAS limit? In the past I have noticed odd visual issues right before VAS runs out.

I run the VAS counter in FSUIPC and every once in a while do an alt-enter to check this value.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I'm using the FSUIPC VAS counter as well and at the time this happened I had approx 500 MB VAS left so shouldn't be the problem. Normally the dangerous level of VAS left starts at 200 MB.

However I got a tip from elsewhere where another person had seen the same thing and in his case the problem was he updated his video drivers and fact is I did this too not long ago so will try to go back to the previous driver and see what happens.

Richard Åsberg