Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Using voice commands for ATC in FS9

Can anyone tell me if there's a program that allows for the use of voice commands to emulate key presses in FS9. What I'd like to be able to do is continue my current procedure - I call up the ATC menu with a HOTAS button - but then I have to look down at the keyboard and press the appropriate number. Would be so much more realistic if I could "click the mic" and speak! Any ideas???
Cheers

Ian

ps. A zillion years ago I did have such a program - I think it was called Voice Commander. But they discontinued it long ago or they dropped support for MSFS. Either way, I checked and it's not an option but maybe there's something similar?

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out but unfortunately it is very limited in the number of FS9 aircraft it supports and in fact only one that I (occasionally) fly was listed. I appreciate your help

Cheers

Ian

Can anyone tell me if there's a program that allows for the use of voice commands to emulate key presses in FS9. What I'd like to be able to do is continue my current procedure - I call up the ATC menu with a HOTAS button - but then I have to look down at the keyboard and press the appropriate number. Would be so much more realistic if I could "click the mic" and speak! Any ideas???

Cheers

Ian

ps. A zillion years ago I did have such a program - I think it was called Voice Commander. But they discontinued it long ago or they dropped support for MSFS. Either way, I checked and it's not an option but maybe there's something similar?

What about multi crew experience?

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

You should be able to emulate any key command sequence using voice to sequence scripts. If the aircraft does not support keystrokes to control it or via a copilot sequence then I think you would have a problem with any mapped voice control application.

A few Radar Contact users were using It's Your Plane and their forum has information.

I do have a couple of the MCE editions - I use the one for the F1 ATR regularly. The problem is that they are pretty complex and aircraft specific I'm really looking for something totally simple - I really just want to be able to emulate the key-presses for the numerals 1-4 so I can pull up the ATC menu with a click on the button I've mapped as ATC on my control stick (i.e. a "microphone click") and then be able to say something into a microphone that would correspond to the numerical command for the default ATC instead of having to look down and find the number on my keyboard...

I did try the native Windows Voice Recognition program and spent a lot of time "training it" to recognize my voice and words - and it worked fine except when I tried it in FS nothing happened!

I know it can be done as I used to have it set up that way but then something changed - not sure if I upgraded to a new computer and didn't reinstall the program or (as I think is most likely) what I was using worked in FS2002 but wouldn't work in FS9...

I'm certainly open to something along the lines of IYP but I vary the aircraft I fly a lot so I really want something that's simple and more generic... I keep thinking about one program that was out there that had a virtual co-pilot that you could use with any aircraft as it had an editable interface that allowed you to customize the check lists. The name "David Marsh" keeps popping up in my head but given how old my head has become, a lot of very weird things "pop up" on a daily basis! LOL

I'll keep looking and if anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful

Cheers

Ian 

Have a look right here in our library:.....( It's old, but free & it works!)

File Description:
SpeechBuddy is a program which allows to command and control applications by voice. SpeechBuddy version 2.2 comes with following new features: it interfaces with both the registered and the unregistered version of FSUIPC for FS2004. it comes with an FS2004 interface taking advantage of the above feature. In FS2004, say "flaps extend incrementally", "strobe lights on", or "COM 1 one one eight decimal niner five" and it will happen! Most of FS2004's commands (and others) are available for voice control, among others: test, autopilot, control surfaces, engine, multi engine, general aircraft, instruments, lights, multiplayer, radio including GPS, simulator, view, miscellaneous, environment and checklist commands. The FS2004 interface is not compatible with FSX. Authors: Billy Verreynne for SpeechBuddy 2.2 and Dominique Andlauer for the FS2004 interface.

Filename: speechbuddy22.zip License: Freeware Added: 16th December 2006, 11:11:07 Downloads: 3981 Author: Billy Verreynne and Dominique

also

Flight Assistant 2.2 ZipDive.png  Download.png

File Description:
The Flight Assistant - the successor of FS 2002 FA - is a program that provides a virtual co-pilot for flight simulation enthusiasts. You can give commands using a microphone which the co-pilot executes then. For example, one could give the command "flaps up", and then the flaps will be raised automatically. Furthermore, the co-pilot responds to your commands, so that you receive a confirmation. The program is nearly fully configurable. You are able to create new commands and even to edit the existing ones. An optional "Speak" key lets the PC only recognize commands when you press and hold down a certain key. Flight Assistant should work together with every(!) flight simulation without any problems. New in version 2.2: A Spanish translation. Furthermore, the commands are now displayed in an alphabetical order.

Filename: flightassistant_129206.zip License: Freeware Added: 22nd November 2003, 12:39:05 Downloads: 4105 Author: Timm Linder Size: 1213kb

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I do have a couple of the MCE editions

You must be confusing MCE with another voice based product  :smile:

We don't do per aircraft products as this would be a pain for users. We rather provide something called Multi Crew Experience Ultimate Edition which is custom coded to work with 36 FSX/P3D aircraft in including all the heavy hitters, as well as 18 aircraft under FS9.

More than a decade was required to interface all those aircraft, 85% of which don't have an SDK. And we'll be supporting FsLabs A320 by next month.

In addition, you can talk to Native ATC as well as PF3 or Radar Contact ATC systems.

Here is a video interacting with ATC, and works equally under P3D or FS9

There is also a fully working Demo available for download here: http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

If you want an even simpler approach to ATC, you can cheat by saying "show atc", then say "select one" or "ATC one". Not really what the MCE ATC feature is about, but the choice is yours. So don't have to run Windows speech reco with its downside of accidentally opening random windows which have nothing to do with the simulation.

Hi Ian,

Explore a small program called VAC (Voice Activated Commands.) 

I find it indispensable for programs other than flight sim, since I am a long-time advocate for MCE within FS9/P3D.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed. I will be checking out the various options and once I've got it all figured out I'll let you know what worked best for me.... And to the MCE folks - I sincerely apologize. You are right - I was thinking of the wrong product. It was FS2Crew I was thinking of - I have it for the old Wilco 373 (long gone from my hard drive) and the LevelD 767 which I haven't used in a long time.... Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the link to the trial version. As one of my previous posts said, my head is getting old and the brain inside it doesn't seem to work quite as well as it once did... As for the rest of my body - DON'T EVEN ASK!!! :P

Cheers everybody

Ian

Sorry for the late reply...

Why not use FSUIPC?

1. Start FS9.

2. Open up FSUIPC.

3. Click the "Buttons + Switches" tab within FSUIPC.

4. When that tab is open and displayed, click a Joystick button.

5. Under "Control sent when button pressed" window scroll down to say "ATC MENU 1". and press OK.

6.  Now when you wish to respond to ATC using keyboard number 1, just press the joystick button you assigned to "ATC MENU 1".

RJ

Hi Ian,

I've recently integrated voice command into my operations - I've looked into a bunch of voice control programs including VAC - the easiest one I've found to use - with a simple intuitive interface - yet powerful macro capability - is Voice Attack... I use it for copilot, default ATC, RC4, and even my TrackIR commands... The interface actually makes it fun to setup... It also uses the MS Speech engine to talk to you for acknowledging commands and such - best $10.00 I've ever spent on FS...

Anyway - LOL - you know where I live - just ping me if you want more info...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7