Sign in to follow this  
Pilottom98

Concern about cost of NGX for P3D.

Hello all,

I know you have probably gotten questions or concerns regarding the price for the NGX in P3D. I'm just wondering if for the price, is the NGX for P3D worth it?

Thanks,

Tom Farran

The folks who have it think so. Note that the price is not subject to discussion in this forum.

David Jones

I'm just wondering if for the price, is the NGX for P3D worth it?

A purchase decision is always a personal decision.  Everyone has an opinion on the value of an item in regard to its price, but it boils down to what the economists call utility.  An identical item will have a different utility to different people, if you really like flight simulation and your platform of choice is going to be P3D and your budget will allow it then you might consider the price worth it.  If your time with a flight simulator is limited to a few hours a month and your budget is very tight then you may not consider it worthwhile.

If your question is if the product is of a high quality with excellent customer support then the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Don't let anybody make purchase decisions of anything for you...., unless you are married.

• Upvote 4

Dan Downs KCRP

Agree with Mr. Downs. If you pay $100 for the add-on and use it for 100 hours that's $1 per hour. What a bargain!

Dwight Heyer

The best 737 out there for me.

Jerry Friz

Hello all,

I know you have probably gotten questions or concerns regarding the price for the NGX in P3D. I'm just wondering if for the price, is the NGX for P3D worth it?

Thanks,

Tom Farran

If you fly the 737 for your job, then no its not worth it. If you dont fly the 737 and you have always wanted to, or know that you never will be able to, its worth every cent. Im being co.pletely honest with my answer. The NGX is the closest you will ever get to flying a real 737 without actually flying it or being in a level D simulator.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

"Is NGX for P3D worth it?"

My goodness an incredibly subjective question, I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers but given you're asking the question on the NGX forum, I'd venture to say you're only going to get positive answers.

I'd echo Dan's statements on Utility, but I also can't help wondering...if you have to ask the question then have you done the homework of researching this plane?

Before I purchased the PDMG NGX I read every single review I could google up on the Internet.  After reading them all, I was 100% sold.  I'd suggest reading these reviews too, as you may conclude, as I did, that there isn't anything out there with this level of system detail.  But details aren't everyone's bag- you'll have to ask yourself if you really plan on actually working your way through the tutorials, practicing ILS approaches, flying in various types of weather, learning the systems behind the aircraft, and operating the machine as it was designed.  Personally, I love all this stuff.

Cost wise, I've run up bar tabs that were larger and all I had to show for it was a headache the next day.

Lastly I'll add that I found the planes that came with Prepar3D to be sorely lacking in the documentation and systems modeling.  PDMG NSX added 10x value to Prepar3D if not more.

Mark Trainer

When I switched to P3D, I missed the NGX with the -600/-700 add-on so much I was happy to buy it again. YMMV.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I have flown the PMDG DC-6 (XP ), 777, and 737 thousands of combined hours (first FSX and now Prepar3D). I purchased both Boeing planes twice, once for each platform. The cost  is very low per hour if you are going to use it in this manner.   If you just want to fly a 737 once in a while, maybe not so much.  I would do it a again in a heartbeat.

Personally I can't wait for the 747 to be released so I can fly it again in Prepar3D.

YMMV.

Harold Finch

• Upvote 1

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Disagree with Matthew Kubanda.

The NGX is of immense value whether you're a professional/practitioner or not as there is sufficient fidelity to 'entertain' yourself to the extent of your competency level, beyond that level, you might learn/refresh your knowledge on something. Can't imagine why anyone might say otherwise.

You'll get a robust AFDS, a good FMCS, CDS, HGS... basically it works as close to the real aircraft in normal and non-normal scenario's, the latter being where PMDG products truely shine. All this in an affordable software package.

So if you wan to run a EFATO or any other non-normal, and want everything to fail/operate the way it should system-wise, get it. If you're a practitioner, you'll notice where systems don't operate like the real aircraft; these instances are few and far between and worth overlooking for the price.

P3D is imagined as the replacement platform for FSX, a vision slowly being realised. If you have the money for it, go to P3D. If you don't care about visuals too much, stay at camp FSX for the time being.

My only gripe about the NGX was that it is an old (spec-wise) aircraft. Old TCAS panel, Old Navigation Control Panel, not able to perform all RNAV spec's. A very short gripe list...

Brian Nellis

The NGX is of immense value whether you're a professional/practitioner or not as there is sufficient fidelity to 'entertain' yourself to the extent of your competency level, beyond that level, you might learn/refresh your knowledge on something. Can't imagine why anyone might say otherwise.

You'll get a robust AFDS, a good FMCS, CDS, HGS... basically it works as close to the real aircraft in normal and non-normal scenario's, the latter being where PMDG products truely shine. All this in an affordable software package.

So if you wan to run a EFATO or any other non-normal, and want everything to fail/operate the way it should system-wise, get it. If you're a practitioner, you'll notice where systems don't operate like the real aircraft; these instances are few and far between and worth overlooking for the price.

P3D is imagined as the replacement platform for FSX, a vision slowly being realised. If you have the money for it, go to P3D. If you don't care about visuals too much, stay at camp FSX for the time being.

My only gripe about the NGX was that it is an old (spec-wise) aircraft. Old TCAS panel, Old Navigation Control Panel, not able to perform all RNAV spec's. A very short gripe list...

+1, absolutely amazing 737NG simulation.   You would be hard pressed to find any negativity about this aircraft in this forum.   I can only add that apart from the price it is also a question of hardware!   my GPU is just not up to scratch for P3D, so I am sticking with FSX :-).   Price for me would also not be a factor.   If the 737NG is your thing, go for it.   You cannot go wrong.

Also, even if you only fly ten hours a month, still worth it.   I battle to find time to do it these days, real world obligations keeping me occupied.   As a reviewer I have had the opportunity to do two reviews for PMDG aircraft in the past - finding a gripe somewhere is difficult to say the least lol!

Regards

I had the 737 on FSX...didn't buy it for P3D but bought the 777 instead.  Okay, so here's my take.  The NGX is a really, really nice airplane, lots of things fully simulated, very stable (if you keep your VAS under control).  Flight model is easy to hand fly.  I'd rather have an airplane like this one that 50 of the airplanes that are just barely systems simulated.  Having bought it on FSX and having to repurchase at a higher price, I won't.  The 777 is sufficient.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

you completely missed my point.

I was comparing the fidelity of the airplane to the real one. If you fly the real plane, then you already are as close to the real thing because you are actually flying the real thing. If you arent a 737 pilot, then the NGX will be the closest thing to actually flying it.

I was never saying that someone who currently flies the 737 couldnt find value in the NGX.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

This what put's me off moving from FSX as the cost involved to move to P3D is over £300!

• Upvote 1