Sign in to follow this  
Pilottom98

Concern about cost of NGX for P3D.

I bought a new computer system and did not want to load FSX on it.. I went with P3D and was very surprised how smooth it was to get up and running with my required add-ons.... I bought the PMDG 777 and the PMDG 737NGX.. Again :) I added the newest active sky.. All is great and smooth !! If you buy a new system this is the way to go IMO.. 

you completely missed my point.

I was comparing the fidelity of the airplane to the real one. If you fly the real plane, then you already are as close to the real thing because you are actually flying the real thing. If you arent a 737 pilot, then the NGX will be the closest thing to actually flying it.

I was never saying that someone who currently flies the 737 couldnt find value in the NGX.

To me, it reads as it is written. You wrote, "If you fly the 737 for your job, then no its not worth it." To paraphrase, it basically says if you fly the real deal, don't buy it.

Given your post was amongst the first 10 posts, and that you've identified yourself as a practitioner (Mech) which gives a degree of credibility to what you post; I was concerned potential customers might get the wrong impression and I chose to refute your post.

To summarise, your point might've intended to go one way, but reads the other way!

Regards

Brian Nellis

I was happy to purchase the NGX (all variants) AND the 777 too, to migrate to P3D. I use FSX only for MD-11 and the FSLabs A320.

Since I had 7 good years with FSX and the NGX, I felt it was worth the price again.(and yes, that is a smile on my face).

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

To be honest, I absolutely love the NGX. I use it for FSX but as mentioned before, having to pay full price for a P3D version makes you think twice as to whether you REALLY want it for P3D. I guess eventually I might, but it would have been more reasonable to pay a price difference if you already own the FSX version.

If this is the first time you are purchasing the NGX for P3D, then the price shouldn't be a problem and I would say its totally worth it.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

I purchased the NGX and T7 straight for P3D as it quickly became my primary sim. But I can see the concern if one already has it for FSX, the T7 in particular is a substantial reinvestment in that case.

I moved from FSX to P3D several months ago and I'm very happy with it. I still fly the NGX and T7 in FSX but I find I'm using them less and less. I'm sure I will eventually buy them for P3D but not until I'm ready to completely cut the cord on FSX. Even then I will have to space out the purchases because of the cost.

Richard

I suppose it depends what you mean by your question. If you asking is the p3D version somehow better or have more features than fsx then no, the only reason to buy the NGX for P3D is either you use p3D, or about to use it as your only and primary sim, or you never owned the NGX before and are starting with p3D.

In sense of a product for fsx or p3D then yes it's worth it, in fact I'd buy this over the 777, far more of a pilots aircraft, the 777 is a big flying computer, that requires next to no input from the pilot.

I do own all PMDG a/c and where available I do have the p3D versions, but actually my use of p3D is still limited at present as, I don't still really see the step forward, and a lot of the items I use, scenery and other aircraft, have yet to have a good compbatible version for p3D.

Until p3D jumps to 64bit, in some ways I sometimes doubt the investment in paying twice for something is really worth it. Flying the NGX in p3D vs fsx is in some cases is not as good, because some sceneries, Addons etc not available or work well in p3D. The aircraft itself offers nothing in addition(v3 might do) as a p3D version.

The future still somewhat hazy I'd say, x-plane version 11 is arriving, and actually starting to look quite interesting, easier for 3rd party investment and should it get that would destroy both fsx and p3D. If p3D can accelerate their development then could be a challenger, but actually to do that they will lose the advantage they have now over X plane by breaking backward compatibility with older fsx addons(both a good and bad thing). While some developers are charging twice for products they actually damaging the p3D support, if a p3D add on and the sim actually offered something more then it would be justified, but all in reality it's a licensing difference and lucrative opportunity- - a 3rd sim could be hitting the market and that will really mix things up.