Hello Simmers,

I am getting a new PC this christmas (Which I am building   :wink: ) I am not sure if this specs will be compatible with P3D running the NGX and the 777 and other addons smoothly. Anyways, less of talking and straight to the point.

• Intel Core I5 6600K @ 3.5Ghz (Overclocking in the future)
  • 8GB DDR4 Memory
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • 650W Power Supply
  • 1TB HDD Storage
  • Cooler Master 212 EVO 

Any and all feedback is appreciated, I went a little bit over budget here (Budget was $900, all this is worth $938)

Thanks Everybody For Their Help   :wink:

Cooler Master 212 EVO 

Will you be overclocking? If so what do you hope for?

Evo should reach 4.4 dependant on the silicone lottery, your ambient temp etc.

If you are happy with a moderate overclock, I'd recommend the Noctua NH-U14S. If you fancy a high overclock and it will fit in your chosen case, my favourite, the NH-D15S. If you are an AIO closed loop kind of person, the Corsair H110i if it will fit in your chosen case.

• Upvote 2

Hi!

I would suggest to wait till January for the 7th generation of Intel series..The skylake is now 2015 model and the 7gen will be better. Many people here seem certain that it wont be more than 10% improvement, which noones know actually for sure until its released..but in any case why not get even a 10% more? :)

• Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

There's always going to be that "just wait a little longer" for the newest whatever. Not directed at anyone, but as a long time pc builder myself, that's a fools errand to wait. Just build with what's available and current. You'll be fine, brother.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

There's always going to be that "just wait a little longer" for the newest whatever. Not directed at anyone, but as a long time pc builder myself, that's a fools errand to wait. Just build with what's available and current. You'll be fine, brother.

I understand the anticipation for a new build. I also have the money and want to build a new system and waiting. I'm not saying everyone should do the same. However our friend wants to build this by Christmas, 1 month before the new generation. I would think as more irresponsible an answer which doesn't take into account something like this. Why not get a better performance with the same money? Even if its 30-40$ more expensive it would be a pity to lose such benefit for some days of wait. I would feel fool.

• Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |

I agree with both of you. Sounds like a contradiction, I know.

It is true that given the rapidity in which technological improvements are made in this field,  that there is always something just about to arrive. My philosophy has always been...

Wait, if the expected time frame is reasonable, the benefits are significant and I'm not in a hurry.

Don't wait, if the benefits are small, release some distance off and I'm in a hurry.

In the case of Kaby Lake, we can expect a 5-10% performance improvement as it's a 14nm  refresh rather than a die shrink, so essentially very little, features such as a higher frequency [4.5GHz Turbo] support for Intel Optane, up to 10 USB 3.0 ports.... but all at an increased cost!

If it were me, and I wasn't desperate to build immediately, I would wait I reckon, makes sense to build using the latest kit.  If I were in more of a hurry, I wouldn't feel foolish at all opting for Skylake.

It's up to the OP though, depends on his situation. Depends what he defines as too much of a wait or an acceptable wait.

• Upvote 1

My rule is never buy anything that has just been released.. give it time to settle..

Since skylake does a fine job, I would not feel a fool for recommending it.. as I did above..

• Upvote 1

Bert

My rule is never buy anything that has just been released.. give it time to settle..

Since skylake does a fine job, I would not feel a fool for recommending it.. as I did above..

However, we are not talking about a never tried before piece of hardware here. We are talking for a CPU from a reliable company, with benchmarks already released. Risk factor in such an upgrade is neglible. Like saying that we would propose to someone to buy an GTX 970 one month before GTX 1070 was released. And of course Intel knows that an 7700K is targeted mainly for gamers and it only sells if it performs better. The only excuse for a 6700K for me is "I can't wait!".

• Upvote 1

I am also having a new system built.  If my budget is say $6,000, is there anything you'd recommend for the ultimate FSX experience with PMDG777?

I see the Titan Z cards are $1800.  Do I get 1 or 2?

What about the i7-5820 processor vs the more expensive I-7 5960??  Someone please lay out the ultimate CPU/motherboard and video cards for FSX Windows 7 using dual monitors (1 for main panel, 1 for FMC, and other pop up windows).

I see sometimes the most expensive CPU may not be the best for performance.  So what is the best CPU (money no object)

• Upvote 1

Paul Gugliotta

I am also having a new system built.  If my budget is say $6,000, is there anything you'd recommend for the ultimate FSX experience with PMDG777?

I see the Titan Z cards are $1800.  Do I get 1 or 2?

What about the i7-5820 processor vs the more expensive I-7 5960??  Someone please lay out the ultimate CPU/motherboard and video cards for FSX Windows 7 using dual monitors (1 for main panel, 1 for FMC, and other pop up windows).

I see sometimes the most expensive CPU may not be the best for performance.  So what is the best CPU (money no object)

Hi,

im running an i7 5820k oc´ed 4.5GHzwith 16GB RipJaws an ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Advance on an ROG Extreme V X99 just for P3D. Im having great results since i upgraded to a GTX 1080. I have setup fairly high settings in v3.4. In almost every situation i get 30 stable and smooth FPS. I came from 980 SLI which handled P3D pretty good but a single GTX 1080 is beating them. 

• Upvote 1

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Sounds good, but I see the benchmark for the 5820 is 12,979.  Fir the 5930 it is ~16,000 and for the 6900 it is 17,475.

So will the 5960 or the 6900 get you even better results?  And what about the 12 Gb Titan Z card?

• Upvote 1

Paul Gugliotta

the best CPU for FSX today is 6700k but the 7700k gone be better.

Video card 1080 strix OC , MoBo any Asus Z170 i have a Maximus Extreme VIII.

Titan X Pascal is fastet video card for now but cost a lot.

The Haswell -E 5960X 5820K have a 5060X but ia approx 20% slower in FSX than my 6700k system.

I know that lot of E owners gone disagree , but Its my personal thougts

• Upvote 1

Since P3D still uses more CPU than GPU power the 6700k would be the best choice. I saw a bench were it outperforms an 5820k in single processor performance. Anyhow im good with the 5820k and the GTX 1080. SLI will be next

• Upvote 1

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg