Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

New Build: Skylake or Broadwell?

True, a very small performance gap. Not sure what the price delta is between them anymore, bit with the k the future option to overclock might be worth it.

Here in the UK 6700K is £337. 6700 is about £289. Not a huge saving really. 

True enough re future overclocking.  

Cheapest price Ive seen yesterday is £293 inc vat for a 6700K :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

EVGA ACX 3.0 coolers have differences between the lower and higher models...

FTW's and Classified's have an enhanced cooler update design, even though still reading as ACX 3.0

FTW's and Classified's have an enhanced cooler update design, even though still reading as ACX 3.0

Wasn't aware of that.

In what way are they updated? Hopefully with more than just higher fan RPM.

True, a very small performance gap. Not sure what the price delta is between them anymore, bit with the k the future option to overclock might be worth it.

of course it is, even a small overclock, which will make a difference to programs such as p3d and fsx will be easy to achieve, with auto overclocking if desired. no sense losing out on that for a few green queens

Doesn't turbo only apply to the first core?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Nearly there....and thanks to all who've posted.

I'm undecided about best way to go re. SSD.  I plan to use a large HDD for storage and FSX (separate partitions) with a smaller HDD for the W10 OS.

P3D will run off one or more SSDs.  As things stand, I have a 500GB SSD which is 2/3 full with P3D stuff.  

It seems my options are either to buy a new 1TB SSD for my P3D setup at great expense (and try to sell my present 500GB), or add a second 500GB SSD to my present system.

The idea would be to 'span' the two drives so they are seen as one. I've not done this before, and I wonder what effect 'spanning' or 'striping' would have on access speed. 

There's no point in doing it if it's going to slow things down; the whole point for me, of using SSDs is to speed things up!

I'd be grateful for advice.

Supporter.png

John