Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Public Apology to Raimondo Taburet

Given the nature of how things deteriorate, I wanted to offer my own words of apology for a personal attack made against Raimondo Taburet today by one of our members in this forum. Raimondo is right about one thing, and I should make this clear to all users--if you have a accusation against someone, make it in private. Avsim is not a court of law. Raimondo has given the community freeware of his own--some of his mesh is in my sim. We can pick apart anyone if we want to--I certainly have my vices. But Avsim is not a court of law. And Raimondo is a reasonable man--but understandably upset at watching his name dragged through the mud. He didn't deserve that.What did I do wrong? I was slow to recognize that and tried to apply a "know it all" technical comment to the thread. Obviously I should not be moderating these forums being so blind to the obvious, for which I am resigning that role, effective immediately. I will still participate here, but I don't want to have the stress of policing some of the loose lipped remarks people make here.As someone has already said, this hobby is going to the dogs.RaimondoI am deleting my comments that were in followup to your post.-John

So you lost your position... very admirable. But as for the member of the personal attack, what happens to him?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I will apologise to Raimondo as well, if it appeared I was smacking him for anything either here or on his forum.John, I didn't do much to try and stop that attack either. Although I am not a moderator, I still saw it plain as day and did nothing. It is terribly easy to forget the personalities behind the usernames online. I sympathize.That's all for now, except: thank you John for your words here, and thank you Raimondo for your contributions to FS.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.Lean Mixture: Nonalcoholic beer

"So you lost your position... very admirable. But as for the member of the personal attack, what happens to him?"And you are? I am not being flippant, but since you've joined us very recently, it's not our policy to discuss the consequences of users' actions here and it's no one's business to challenge themselves with that worry. And regardless of whether I am a moderator or just a simmer on the street, I didn't lose anything. I own my own decisions and was not coaxed by anyone into placing this thread. -John

I just want to say to you guys that i admire what you two have done. Its really a good thing, to see the participants of a flame thread, to come back, and apologize. You two guys should be proud of this, and it was the right thing. Not every one is perfect, and im shure every one here has gotten into it with some one else, multiple times. So i believe we all know whats its like, and may i say, its a great thing to see guys come back and make a formal apology. As for John, like i said, no one is perfect. I really dont want to see you resign from your position. Bro, you help keep these forums clean and in line, and no one holds it against you that you threw a few words. We all do at some point in time. How you guys came back and made this thread, IMHO, it takes a great deal of integrity to own up to it.Like i said, im glad to see this happen, but i wish, john, you would decide to keep your position. You do help the forums, and keep it in line, but because you threw a few words today (which i have never seen before), doesnt mean you should resign. People only take so much, and you were only speaking your mind, like a few others.If your able to own up to what you did, and make a formal apology such as this one, that shows that you are capable of taking responsibilities for your own actions, and thats the kind of traits admin's need. You have shown your self as a man by owning up to this and making it right. For that, you deserve your position of Moderator here IMO.Glad to see you guys do this. This is what helps our hobby after the little flame wars. And that is to make it right, once again. You guys deserve a beer. :-beerchug:-wave

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Thanks Chase, but I really would rather go back and kept my mouth shut before, so I wouldn't feel the guilty need to appologise. But then, life is about owning up to the wrongs and trying to make them right..Thanks for the offer of a beer, too. If you're ever simming in SGF, look for the blue Howard 500 in the GA parking north of the terminal...if it's there, I'll be in the lounge :)"For that, you deserve your position of Moderator here IMO."I'll agree big time there. I'm not going to try to make this a "come back!" plea to John, but I do agree that he has been a heck of a moderator here, as well as a darn fine contributor to not only the forums, but the hobby in general. John, we all make mistakes, no matter what authority we may or may not have. If you feel it's the right thing to do, then far be it from me to counter your morals on the matter. But know this: there are far worse mistakes a man can make in this world, but admitting the mistake was made in the first place is the correct approach. I'd have you as a moderator on this forum till kingdom come were I in charge, if you would do it. You and Tom have kep the ball rolling rather golly-darn smoothly. I count one slip. Just one. It's not rocket science, you're not Billy Graham, and I'll bet I speak for the majority when I say that that one slip was not a cardinal sin, and what damage it may have done to your rep, your apology has more than made up for. Raimondo would probably even agree, as he thanked you on his forums http://www.fsproject.com/dc/dcboard.php?az...esg_id=12&page=.But that's where I end it, John. The rest of the ride your yoke. I just hope that you'll turn that bird back and take the helm here again; any forum could use two of you. Fly into SGF with Chase, and you'll get yerself 2 virtual brewskies, friend.And thanks again Chase, for the kindness and understanding.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.Lean Mixture: Nonalcoholic beer

"And you are? I am not being flippant, but since you've joined us very recently...."It's a sign I am too tired when replying to my own posts, but it was pointed out to me that you are a.k.a. ponyboy -- I was pointed to the post where you changed your "handle"... So you've been around a bit longer than your post count and join date shows...My badJC

John, you've been around long enough to know how this works. So you are a moderator AND a human being.;-) You made it right with the guy who was wronged. No need for resignation. Hang in there, this will pass and we'll all be better for it.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Ron said it no better than I can... and John, I've really appreciated the job you've done for Avsim. I'd like to see ya stick around.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Resigning, sounds like the Canadian government. Don't resign man. We all get stupid once in a while. We need you. Also, this hobby is NOT going to the dogs!! I won't allow it.JimCYWG

John,You're only human. We all make mistakes and aren't ontop of things 100% of the time. There is no reason for you to resign just because of another users comments.

You've been doing a great job around here, John. I hope you stick around as a moderator.Tony

"I will still participate here, but I don't want to have the stress of policing some of the loose lipped remarks people make here.""As someone has already said, this hobby is going to the dogs."John,I see by the thread that you see how long a person has been a member, so I guess you know I have not been one for long and I don't post often. But, I read the forum alot and I have seen what you,and Tom put up with and what you do for us in this arena.Your last staement reads "this hobby is going to the dogs." Okay, But it won't go as fast with guys like you standing in the way.You and Tom do the job very well and I apreciate the effort you expend to keep the fires down. Yep, it's stressful. You read, you bite you tongue, you read some more, and bite your tongue some more.Know what, man? Sooner or later you have to say "OUCH"!!(You could say a @#%&! word but Tom would body slam ya.)How can you understand that everyone else is human and forget that you are too?If you feel that you need to punish yourself go to SGF and drink a beer then come to IND and drink 2. You can teach me to land a 747 Then you can go back to moderating. Maybe I don't have that right to ask you to put up with people like me,(I've engaged mouth before brain too many times on this forum before.)but I hope you stay on. Regards,LaMonte Crenshawjan1, KIND

Hey John, just came back and looked at this thread. Oooops, looking at my post I shoulda explained myself better. What I meant was you were going above and beyond the call of duty to dismiss yourself yet it always seems the true abusers and flamers get away with nothing more than a waving of the finger at them (and I mean the index finger) ;)I meant no ill will towards you at all but I can see how it might be taken the wrong way. Yes, changed my handle so for awhile most people will think I am a nubie and will call me on that. Just need to rack up a few hundred more posts. ;)

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit