Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Best MD80/MD88 for P3D?

The CLS has the best visual model (especially the VC) and when you add the FMC and the gauges from ISG (Integrated Simavionics) you will have an excellent solution. It works very well. Coolsky and Leonardo are not functional for me in P3D.

The CLS has the best visual model (especially the VC) and when you add the FMC and the gauges from ISG (Integrated Simavionics) you will have an excellent solution. It works very well. Coolsky and Leonardo are not functional for me in P3D.

I have the CLS, and liked it but I always hated the FMC. I'll look into that FMC, thanks!

It will likely be the TFDi Design B717, due out sometime this year.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Doesn't make up for the awful flight dynamics.  Flaring the aircraft is problematic to say the least and VREF is always 140 kts, regardless of wt/conditions.  

Matt King

And... regarding the graphics, while the CLS model does look "better" that look is not realistic. I've spent a fair amount of time on the flight decks of the MD-80 series, and it is very much a dull, 2D-ish flight deck including the displays.

We here a lot about how the Leonardo MD-80 is one of the best aircraft ever developed for desktop flight simulation (it is) except for the graphics, but in reality the graphics are very, very realistic insofar as matching the real aircraft.  One just has to remember when the actual aircraft was designed...

I've only been able to get the Leonardo Maddog fully operational on earlier versions of P3D, and having over 4000 hours in the aircraft (most of those are in shared cockpit) I still absolutely love flying the Leonardo Maddog - so I've reinstalled FSX:SE to do just that -  and continue to work making the aircraft P3D compatible in my spare time... though I don't hold out very much hope of doing so, I'm still trying. I might have more time if I wasn't so busy on more modern flight sim projects and privately converting FSX scenery for P3D.

I've spoken to a lot of developers about coming onto a project to either convert the Leonardo MD-80 or produce an equivalent the MD-80 for FSX/P3D, though there just isn't the interest.  It's too bad, as the majority of the vectors already exist, and 3D modeling can often take longer than the coding. 

So for now, I believe the best MD-80 series for P3D will have to be the TFDi Design B717.  Certainly not the MD-80 that many of us love, but at least it's a step in that direction.

Best wishes to everyone.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Leonardo works, you just can't click anything in the VC and have to do pop up 2d panel for everything. Also since the model was for FS9 and never updated, the plane turns invisible at night in the exterior view.

There are a few posts on the Leonardo MD80 working in P3D. It is a gem to fly in P3D.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

There are a few posts on the Leonardo MD80 working in P3D. It is a gem to fly in P3D.

Hey Shez,

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it working in P3DV3.3 or 3.35.  Tried the Flight Sim Estonia Migration Tool and copying over from FSX, and couldn't get the panels to work.

It seems that some are able to getting it working, and some aren't.  Has to be a common demoninator.  I would LOVE to have the Maddog working in P3D. I miss it so much that just this week I reinstalled FSX:SE to fly her!

Dave Hodges

I hope you get your PC back online soon so you can tell us how you got it working...

Well my PC is back up and the MD80 works 100%. I am not sure why and what to check to compare our two set ups.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I can fly the maddog during daylight with some strange things with CDU textures but it works.

I can't use it at night.

2016-10-15_18-6-41-669.png

Miguel Leandro

So I did find an issue with the Leonardo MD80, the external model at night shows transparent body parts. I will try and see what is wrong.

If anyone wants to compare install folder details I can put up my directory folder.

Shez Ansari

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 0:54 AM, LarsA said:

I have tried to add ISG to my CLs md80 panel cfg with no sucess. Please can you tell me how you have .

configure your panel.cfg. I will be very glad if you do so

RGDS

Bjorn