Good afternoon guys,

I have a latest generation i5, 4GB RAM and a 480GTX at 1.5 GB VRAM.   What GPU would you recommend for this setup for running the PMDG-stuff?   I usually use the latest AFCAD's rather than payware airports, but before making a purchase of P3D, just need to know what to look for GPU-wise as I know my GPU is not going to cut it for P3D.

Many thanks in advance.

Depends on your budget.....

I would suggest you take a close look at Nvidia's GTX980. Their prices are coming down now and more of them might be appearing on the second hand market too as the new 1060's, 1070's and 1080's take hold. I have owned a GTX480 previously and I can promise you, the difference is significant. You are right, the GTX480 is going to struggle in P3D. It struggled in FSX.

You don't mention your monitors resolution. GTX980 will easily deal with 1440P, even 4K. Alternatively consider the new GTX1070 which offers far better bang for buck that the 1080 but will give you no perceivable benefit in P3D over a GTX980.

You don't mention what core i5 your CPU is. Only makes sense to go with a GPU like this if your CPU is also up to the task. Consider overclocking if not already doing so. 4GB of RAM is also on the low side. Consider upgrading to the fastest RAM that is compatible with your motherboard - 8GB or 16GB if running Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 64-bit. This is a relatively low cost and easy upgrade that will make a difference. Look for fast timings and high frequency when comparing RAM options.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING/

:Big Grin:

And you won't be forced to invite your friends for a bbq, like me.

Happy flying!

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Boys, he is usually use Afcad Airports and not payware.

So I think GTX 1060 or the newest Amd GPU is enough.

Sorry I got one thing wrong - I have 12 GB RAM, forgot I put in some more two weeks ago lol.   I have to check exact specs of the CPU, but think it is a 5th generation or so, will make sure.

Thank you for the replies so far!

Regards

GTX 1060 is equivalent of GTX 980, with more VRAM and cheaper, so go for it!

Think ahead Titan X is the way.  Expensive but haven't had an OOM since I bought it.

TitanX is the way to deplete your bank balance unnecessarily. 

There are cheaper cards that fit the bill perfectly. 

I was reading an interesting article in the UK magazine Custom PC the other day. It remarked how the graphics card is now the primary component in our PC's, and the CPU taking a supporting role.

That may still not apply to flight sim, but I do agree with their assertion that nobody needs the huge amount of RAM bolted onto the Titan X. 

Think ahead Titan X is the way.  Expensive but haven't had an OOM since I bought it.

Excessive price for tiny performance increase in relation to say a 1070 within P3D.

Also, OOMs are not related to the video card at all.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Think 64 bit.