Sign in to follow this  
GlitchHD

Low frame rates in VC for the PMDG 737

Ive been loving this plane so far but I am finding it very hard to fly it well due to the crazy low frame rates I get in VC view. I usually get a stable 60fps when using default planes in fsx but I get an average of about 20fps in VC view for this plane and it sometimes drops to 10fps or lower when starting the planes engines etc. This only applies to the VC view as I get high framerates when on an outside view of the plane. I have my cockpit setting on a moderatly high setting and my PC specs are:

GTX 970 GPU

AMD FX-8320 8-core processor

8gb DDR3 ram

Windows 7 OS

Help would be much appreciated 😀

Uh huh, this is normal to get a large fps drop in the vc of complex payware aircraft. Do you have a tweaked fsx.cfg? Make sure your affinitymask is set to 254. Consider using DX10 with the fixer to allow you to force gpu processing with an nvidia profile.

Aidan Hutchison

Is this FSX or P3D? Unfortunately the AMD FX processors are not ideal for FSX/P3D due to poor single core performance, I have the 8350 my self. My PMDG Aircraft are all P3D but with FTX Global Vector, sitting at UK2000 Heathrow I can be at 20-30fps in the VC and between 40-60 in exterior views.

Uh huh, this is normal to get a large fps drop in the vc of complex payware aircraft. Do you have a tweaked fsx.cfg? Make sure your affinitymask is set to 254. Consider using DX10 with the fixer to allow you to force gpu processing with an nvidia profile.

Yes i do have a tweaked cfg and i did set affinitymask to 254 although I didnt see much of a framerate boost

Is this FSX or P3D? Unfortunately the AMD FX processors are not ideal for FSX/P3D due to poor single core performance, I have the 8350 my self. My PMDG Aircraft are all P3D but with FTX Global Vector, sitting at UK2000 Heathrow I can be at 20-30fps in the VC and between 40-60 in exterior views.

This is FSX and thanks for the info ill be sure to get an intel proccessor

Do you have any overclocking at all? Try an Affinitymas at 84, I have the FSL A320 on FSX and that thing is a beast on frames but after watching Matt Davies tweak video I was able to get it steady in the 20s.

The PMDG is a hungry beast because of the amount of avionics number crunching going on in the CPU.   This aircraft performs within 5% of the real deal and that is a lot of data to process every second.   Because the CPU is being utilized more than other aircraft (and WAY more than a default craft) you are seeing a huge drop in FPS inside the PMDG cockpit.   I won't get into the tweaking side of things since I stopped using FSX a while ago but a small bit of performance can be obtained by going into the PMDG options on the FMC and lowering the framerate on your instruments frame rate.  I think it defaults to 15 FPS.  Try changing it to 10 or less.   Less processing time on the Avionics means more time to draw graphic frames.   This is not going to yield more than 1-3 FPS though in my experience though.    Your video card is up to snuff but as stated the FX chips are not nearly as good at doing sim work as say an Intel i5/i7.    

I run a i7 3930k OC @ 4.6ghz with a GTX 980.  I run with moderate settings and have about 100 AI planes at any given moment around me and at most Payware airports I hover between 25-30 FPS with my FPS locked to 30.   Once I am in the air my FPS stays pegged at my 30 FPS locked rate and more importantly the smoothness of the sim never falters.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

1 hour ago, Jackaroo05 said:

Can the displays be rendered with the GPU then?

Full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please, and would you care to explain how this old thread caught your attention?  Are you having a problem with frame rates?  FSX or P3D? Care to expand on your issue?

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please, and would you care to explain how this old thread caught your attention?  Are you having a problem with frame rates?  FSX or P3D? Care to expand on your issue?

I am getting like 5-15 frames in the cockpit with an i7-7700HQ, 16gb DDR4-2400, 5400RPM (couldn't get a 7200 rpm in a laptop with this specs) and a 1050ti.
-Jack Schoonover

17 hours ago, Jackaroo05 said:

I am getting like 5-15 frames in the cockpit with an i7-7700HQ, 16gb DDR4-2400, 5400RPM (couldn't get a 7200 rpm in a laptop with this specs) and a 1050ti.
-Jack Schoonover

FSX or P3D?  The NGX is very frame rate friendly and the HDD speed only counts a little when loading, has nothing to do with frame rates in general.  With only the information that you are willing to share all I can do is suggest you reduce your display settings and experiment with settings that work for you.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP