Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

Wind Uplink from AS2016 - altitude discrepancy

Hi all,

Basically am flying SYD-SIN in the PMDG 777.

Have the 777 set to automatically generate and load a flightplan into P3D.

Request wind data - all good and it downloads into the FMC.

However, for all the waypoints, it only gives FL380 winds, even though I am only at FL360.  Usually it uploads quite a few different altitudes into each waypoint.

I have tried shutting down/reloading AS2016 - but still the same.

Has anyone else experienced this/knows a remedy?

Cheers,

Never mind - seems to have fixed itself.  Meanwhile the left CDU has become a little non-responsive.

Take care,

Has anyone else experienced this/knows a remedy?

I have never had it happen. However, you could try this if it happen again. On the ACT RTE 1 DATA page you could click on the right side of the LSK where you see W> for the next waypoint. This will display the ACT WAYPOINT WINDS for that waypoint. On that page delete FL380 by clicking the delete button and then LSK it to the left line beside FL380. It will be gone. On the scratchpad enter 360 and line select it to left line 1. Press the execute button. You will be returned to the RTE DATA page. Do a wind data request, load and execute and the winds for FL360 will hopefully will be there.

I always force the wind altitudes.  After completing the PERF page, which provides an initial altitude, I go to LEGS and enter my cruise altitudes and do a wind request (set to manual). Then the flow continues to thrust limits... easy.

Dan Downs KCRP

Then the flow continues to thrust limits... easy.

Dan

The OP is in the air not on the ground.

Ah yeah, you are right Michael... still a little confused.  Did the wind upload work during preflight?  What's up with the unresponsive CDU?

Starting and stopping AS2016 could cause problems with their version of simconnect. I've seen AS2016 frozen at a lat/lon when in fact my flight was hundreds of miles along the route, this is a known issue.

Waiting for more info from OP.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello chaps,

Finally woke up!

Ah - I didn't know you could force it to give you winds for the altitudes you were going to fly at.  I was leaving the wind pages blank and requesting winds, which would usually give winds for the surrounding flight levels.  I'll give your try a go, Dan and Michael by entering the wind altitude. 

Yes the wind uplink worked in preflight - gave me winds for FL310, 350 and a couple of others with my initial altitude of FL320.  Will see how it goes tonight with your method.

It did come right after a few tries - AS2016 had the flight plan listed in it with my present altitude.

The CDU became non-responsive after an argument I had with it - I deleted all the winds manually and then started to enter the winds from my flight plan.  The first waypoint I put the wind in for had a strong headwind, which was going to change later in the flight.  Between cancelling "Insufficient fuel" messages and trying to get to the INIT REF reserves number lower temporarily, I think I confused the CDU and it wouldn't accept any more typing.  It had the "MSG" light illuminated.  I checked and all uplinks were completed so I guess I just happened upon a little glitch.  Fixed itself after saving and reloading.

Thanks again for your assistance guys, will try inputting my flight levels before requesting the winds - didn't know you could do that.  I assumed it would just overwrite the levels you put in the winds page with whatever it wants to.

Cheers,