Sign in to follow this  
Splynn

WX.pln not being created

Please don't expect me to read this thread from the beginning.

PMDG does not nor ever has created a .pln file, and does not load a .pln file at any time.  All PMDG products use a flightplan format with a .rte extension.

Reinstalling software doesn't normally fix problems.  If you want load a flightplan into the 777 that you create elsewhere, it needs to be in the .rte format and placed in the PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS or PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\777 folders.

Dan Downs KCRP

PMDG does not nor ever has created a .pln file, and does not load a .pln file at any time.  All PMDG products use a flightplan format with a .rte extension.

Really? Might want to check the PMDG Setup> menu right quick.

Kyle Rodgers

PMDG does not nor ever has created a .pln file, and does not load a .pln file at any time.

That's exactly my problem right there. It doesn't create a .pln when it should.

Quoted from the introduction manual:

"the PMDG 777 will automatically export the active FMC route into an FSX format .pln file. This file is named WX.pln and is saved in the default FSX flight plans directory (My Documents\Flight Simulator X files). This file is created and subsequently updated each time the user selects a CDU page that contains a weather data related REQUEST prompt (RTE DATA, DES FORECAST, ALTN pages)."

Now, lets assume the PMDG isn't doing anything wrong here, and is creating the .pln as designed. Could there be a reason why the file the T7 created doesn't get where it needs to be? Something along the lines of simulator settings or UAC.

Yup, my error. I've never ran into a need for wx.pln so I just plain forgot.  I can find the wx.pln exported by the 777 for my last trip in the <USER>\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files folder.

The only reason I could think that it is not working when the option is enabled is you are not running P3D with admin rights.  I notice in my case that the wx.pln is created regardless that my settting is CREATE AND LOAD TO P3D.  Active Sky will get the flight plan once it is loaded into the simulators planner.

Well, that is only two or three mistakes I've made today. Not too bad.

Dan Downs KCRP

There should also be a WX file in the PMDG\WX folder with this format - VHHHKLAX.wx where VHHH is the ICAO code for the origin and KLAX is the ICAO code for the destination and the file rxtension is .wx. I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem but just to cover all bases make sure you have it.

I'm running FSX:SE with admin rights, and the only WX files created in PMDG\WX are as a result of me loading a .pln into ActiveSky myself. 

WX.pln should be in <USER>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files but it isn't.

One of 2 things is happening here:

A. The T7 isn't creating the .pln

B. The T7 is creating the .pln, but gets stopped before it can save it into <USER>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

Everything else that should happen after the .pln is loaded into the sim is verified to be working. Either loading it into the sim via the flight planner or directly into ASN/AS16 would generate a XXXXYYYY.wx file, and I can get my winds from then on. This is how I'm working around this issue at the moment.

WX.pln should be in \Documents\Flight Simulator X Files but it isn't.

I could be wrong, as I often am, but does not FSXSE have a different folder than FSX for documents?  I've removed all things Steam from my workstations but a vague memory says something is odd about this.  Is it possible that you once had FSX or a concurrent installation of both FSX and FSXSE?

Dan Downs KCRP

That's what I thought as well, but my copy of FSX:SE seems to be using the standard "Flight Simulator X files" folder. All my .pln files are in there, including those that FSX saved.

Alright, got my answer from PMDG support. (thank you Kyle) Apparently it's an issue with the T7 reading the sim location, there's nothing I can do to solve this. It'll (hopefully) be fixed with a service pack or fix.

To whoever's having this problem... just load in the .pln into your weather engine and uplinks will work.That's your workaround for now.