Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Replacing Default Aircraft

Hey... Here's the story:I like to disable just about all of the default aircraft, with the exception of one or two. However, that means I can't load the default flights or some addon flights that require a default aircraft. Is there a way I can change the aircraft that flight refers to, to a different one? Such as changing all the C172 flights so that they dont use the default 172, but use the Flight1 172. Anyone know if that can be done? (Other than loading the flight, changing the plane, and saving it)Thanks,

Guest Rockcliffe

You can open up the .flt files with notepad and edit them to use other aircraft, but I can't say for sure what will happen if you do this. Messing around with the default aircraft can make bad things happen ;-). I tried replacing the default C172 with the Real Air modified C172 in one of the lesson flights and ended up killing Rod and me in a spiral dive, lol.I've learned to live with them, even though I've probably logged about six minutes on aircraft like the Spirit of St. Louis and the Vicker's Vimy.BlairCYOW

Guest joea

Why? Don't like them? Don't fly them! It's better to keep them since some addons might need them and as was already said bad things could happen.

I remove them because they clean up the aircraft selection menu. The ONLY time I've had any problem is when I try loading a flight that uses a default aircraft... and I rarely do that. By the way... when I say "removing them", I mean disabling them, i.e. converting them into hidden aircraft, like the default Cherokee or the Dash... so they are still installed but I just dont see them in the menu. Helps shorten startup time too.

Guest joea

Ahh I see...yea does shorten startup time.

I have to agree with Joe ... they're best left alone. Many add-ons look for them and they take up so little space it's really not worth the effort to disable or modify them, surely.I have about 4,000 aircraft in my active AIRCRAFT folder (about 2,000 of those are AI) and the sim only takes a few minutes to boot. It's not that important to me to have it boot in fifteen seconds, I've plenty else to do like open another beer and kick the cat.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]