Sign in to follow this  
fsx2016

nvidia settings wont apply

I have flickering problem and i've been trying to fix it by changing settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector. After some time I realized that those settings do not affect to FSX. Have anyone experienced the same issue?

Driver ver is 372.90

Inspector 2.12

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing a simple mistake, but please challenge me.

Like:

Antialising mode -> override any application setting

Apply changes -> clicked after change

DX10 mode is disabled

fsx.exe is linked to Inspector's profile

Antialising and filtering settings are only affected when changed in FSX's display setting dialog. I have created a new profile to Inspector and... reboots etc many times.

Axel.

Are you saying that you are unable to save new settings in Nvidia Inspector? In other words....you make changes, save and leave NVI, but those settings have reverted to your previous ones when you run NVI again? If so, then you need to uninstall GeForce Experience. That's what I did, and it worked.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Axel,

Did you apply the profile to the application (FSX.exe) executable?  It won't work if you don't do this.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

Christopher Low:

I am able to save settings. I can see nVidia control panel that settings are properly saved and Inspector work just fine. In addition the same behavior exists when I use nVidia control panel. I can change settings but nothing happens in FSX.

Ilya:

Yes it behaves just like this is the issue. Just that it is linked to fsx.exe. I also created a new profile fron scratch. I have double... or triple checked this. And also... nVidia control panel does the same.

To test this I have switched filtering off in FSX. Then trying to change filtering and AA settings. No changes whatsoever...

Thanks for your prompt reply!

BR,

Axel

Yesterday I installed SE edition. So it is a fresh installation. Same problem: overriding app settings do not work. The core problem is smaller in SE tho. I can see slight vertical movement and I think that is one of the reasons for flickering. I tried ForceFullScreenVSync=1 in CFG but it probably didn't help. Or if it helps it is very small improvement.

My trees flicker a lot, also some buildings and some airports. I'm out of workarounds...

If someone has been able to remove flickering in trees, I'm thankfully receiving ideas ...

Axel.

If someone has been able to remove flickering in trees, I'm thankfully receiving ideas ...

See AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Can you post the main section of your NVI profile?  Are you running it as admin?

Thanks.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

This "running it as admin" thing always amuses me. If it's your own personal PC, how can you not be classed as "admin"? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes I'm running Inspector as Admin.

Couldn't figure out how to upload an image into gallery, no screenshot available (of profile settings). In addition I have cleared out the profile since it does nothing anyway. Just using AA and filtering settings available in FSX's settings. Just that unrealistic flickering on trees and some airport textures looks ugly but... I've tried everything I can think of. Lets focus on flying :-)

Axel.

I have flickering problem and i've been trying to fix it by changing settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector. After some time I realized that those settings do not affect to FSX. Have anyone experienced the same issue?

You state "flickering problem".  Not sure what that means.  In DX10 preview mode there was flickering on the runways/taxiways but I do not recall seeing it in DX9 mode.  On page 10 are the NI settings as suggested by many.  Clamping the Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias gets rid of some flickering (but not all).  You might be having "shimmering" issues?  The NI settings in the guide has suggestions for eliminating shimmering.

Flickering in trees is common if flying over mountains or hills with low clouds (using a weather program like Active Sky).  That cannot be removed except a weather program, like Active Sky, has a setting to reduce the anomaly. 

AA with Anisotropic (AF) MUST be enabled in FSX and then the NI AA settings applied.  If you disable AA in FSX settings, you will have issues.  NI does not work all that great with FSX and, in fact, is hard on pre-Sandy Bridge systems (you did not indicate your system specs).

EDIT:  If you continue to have problems, I would suggest seaching this forum using the keyword "flickering".  It has been discussed a lot and there really isn't any solid solution (or else it would be in the AVSIM FSX Guide)....

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Refreshed temporary MP4 link. Don't know if this is called flickering, shimmering or something else. I haven't found a setting which helps for this (or makes any difference).

https://filetea.me/t1sPsyRCvaNTxa7Iig7HTMyhw

Axel.

Try using SGSS (sparse grid transparency supersampling) in NI.

Set it to x4 (Enhance Application) and also set AA in FSX x4.

Don't set any other AA values in NI.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hello. Thanks. This setting actually does something. I can improve trees quite a bit. Not completely able to remove the problem but surely adjusting SGSS makes them better. So NI profiler actually works. Good.

Axel.