Sign in to follow this  

Norway

Excellent link, just what I suspected, there is private healthcare available and dental care appears to be private only anyway.

Cheers, Rob.

I've spent some time in Norway and it's a very expensive but beautiful place and it's one of those places I've also considered moving to. Apart from the bad weather and the very expensive food and beer, I really like the place. The difference I've noticed though is that the people I've spoken to there are all very happy with life there and wouldn't want to live anywhere else unlike people from the other countries you've listed who seem to moan much more about where they live. 

Regarding Language, I never met anyone who couldn't speak fluent English (except other foreigners), and even if you spoke Norwegian, they'd answer you back in English anyway. Learning the language is a must though if you are going to work.

Regarding moving to New Zealand. I don't think they'd just let you move and retire there (even if you have money to support yourself). They have quite a strict immigration policy, and unless you have a job to go to, or family there you might find it hard to get residency. I've known many British people who want to retire there and simply can't even though they have money).

AT least here in Portugal I could share my cockpits with you, the real and the virtual !... And the Weather!!!! THE WEATHER!!!! is much much better... Not to talk food and wine...

But I'd love to visit Norway for sure.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The difference I've noticed though is that the people I've spoken to there are all very happy with life there and wouldn't want to live anywhere else unlike people from the other countries you've listed who seem to moan much more about where they live. 

Well, we moan a lot, but I can assure you, few Norwegians would like to live anywhere else! :) 

• Upvote 2

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Thanks again for all the great feedback, we'll know more next year when we visit Norway (May/June or Sept/Oct).  Looks like immigration requirements might mean we need to purchase home and setup as self employed and work out of our home on a casual basis for a little while to get residence permit.  I'll also need to provide university degrees and my existing work experience ... hopefully will get more info later.

Cheers, Rob.

Would Ireland be appealing to you?  It is certainly less expensive than Norway overall, and language would not be an issue - all while it is also very beautiful. On the top, the winters aren't that cold and long. I have no idea about the housing market, but I can't imagine it being more expensive than in Norway. 

What about Canada?  Up the coast from Vancouver is very Norwegian-like scenery; but nicer climate ( as long as you don't mind rain).

Brian

Looks like immigration requirements

Have you considered visiting one of their consulates?

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Regarding moving to New Zealand. I don't think they'd just let you move and retire there (even if you have money to support yourself). They have quite a strict immigration policy, and unless you have a job to go to, or family there you might find it hard to get residency. I've known many British people who want to retire there and simply can't even though they have money).

It all depends on how much money you have. Over a certain age you have to invest money in New Zealand to get a residency. They do it on a case by case basis. It can be done.

I moved here in my early 40s which that age scores low points but I have a skilled trade and business that got me in without a letter from an employer. Been here almost 6 years now

Matthew Kane

I moved here in my early 40s which that age scores low points but I have a skilled trade and business that got me in without a letter from an employer. Been here almost 6 years now

That's brilliant :-). We (My girlfriend and I) have been researching this. I've been visiting New Zealand (Wellington) every year to support a customer and love the place and I'm always sad to leave. Even with my IT qualifications and experience I don't have enough points to simply walk in, I need a job to go to or be self supporting. Maybe I should start a company selling flight-sim scenery ;-) (My New Zealand scenery for X-Plane will actually be out soon :-)).

I have no idea about the housing market, but I can't imagine it being more expensive than in Norway. 

Like in Sweden, I think property is generally cheaper because there is much more space. In the UK and Ireland, buying property is extremely expensive unless you can settle for a small 1 bedroom flat. That being said, it's all relative as the cost of living in Norway is very high.

Very exciting times Rob!

As others have suggested, I don't think there are any non-English speaking countries in the world, who are more receptive and capable at communicating in English, than the Scandinavian countries.   I believe Sweden has the highest % of people who speak English, for a non-English speaking country, followed by Denmark, Norway and then (outside of Scandinavia) the Netherlands.  That being said, knowing a little of the national language will go down well, and make life a little easier too.

As you may already be aware, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are all very closely related (and mutually comprehensible - to most). I did a Swedish course through Babbel - it got me to a pretty high standard for everyday conversing.   What surprised me, is just how much I could then read / speak, when on holiday last year in Norway.  There are some differences in grammar, but mostly it's just some of the nouns that differ between the three Scandinavian languages.  I was ordering drinks using Swedish at a bar in Bergen, Norway, and got chatting with the barman;  he said that he could tell I clearly wan't Norwegian, but did think I was probably Danish but speaking Swedish to try to be better understood!!  (Danish is the most challenging of the three as many individual phonemes are blended; ie. it's a little "slurry" :) ).

One thing I couldn't determine from your post, is what your current nationality is now.  If you are American, it could be a little more difficult to get residency.  If you are British, Norway partakes in the same programme of residency as the EU (in most cases), so for example, as a naturalized Brit (I was born in Canada), I can live in Norway freely, as long as I can support myself.

All the best with the decision making.   Scandinavia is my favourite place on Earth - the pace of life is slower, more relaxed and the people do seem happier.   I'm a winter person, so the weather would be a plus to me, rather than a disadvantage!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

We plan to learn the language, but it seems like we'd get by initially until we got more proficient with the language.  My last name is actually Old Norse ... so maybe that's why I feel a draw to Norway and my soft spot for Vikings :)

Weather is not really an issue with me, I've lived in some extremes from hot to cold.

I do hold both US and UK passports, but my UK passport would need to be renewed (fortunately I have a brother living in Winchester England so can use his residence to get my British passport renewed).  I have options, but will need to get more information specific to my immigration circumstances.

Cheers, Rob.

That's brilliant :-). We (My girlfriend and I) have been researching this. I've been visiting New Zealand (Wellington) every year to support a customer and love the place and I'm always sad to leave. Even with my IT qualifications and experience I don't have enough points to simply walk in, I need a job to go to or be self supporting. Maybe I should start a company selling flight-sim scenery ;-) (My New Zealand scenery for X-Plane will actually be out soon :-)).

Let me know next time your in Wellington I will buy you a beer. Lots of IT jobs here as my partner sets up accounting systems in Wellington. We have a superstar economy for a wee city of 350,000, we are the worlds best kept secret  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Hi Rob

You don't need to be in the UK to renew your British passport, however it be worth exploring whether or not you qualify for an Irish passport. I understand an Irish grandparent will do the trick at the moment, unless they change the rules. 

Whilst Norway is not the EU, it is in the European Economic Area so EU freedom of movement rules will apply. Obviously an Irish passport will help you retain that option, regardless of what happens over Brexit.

cheers

Ian

Ian S

38.jpg

We plan to learn the language, but it seems like we'd get by initially until we got more proficient with the language.  My last name is actually Old Norse ... so maybe that's why I feel a draw to Norway and my soft spot for Vikings :)

Quote: ""Have you considered how easy it is for us Norwegians to learn English?" asks Jan Terje Faarlund, professor of linguistics at the University of Oslo. "Obviously there are many English words that resemble ours. But there is something more: its fundamental structure is strikingly similar to Norwegian. We avoid many of the usual mistakes because the grammar is more or less the same.

Faarlund and his colleague Joseph Emmonds, visiting professor from Palacký University in the Czech Republic, now believe they can prove that English is in reality a Scandinavian language,...."

https://www.apollon.uio.no/english/articles/2012/4-english-scandinavian.html

Quote: "As I started to learn Norwegian I found it harder than most to comprehend. ...For me to learn Norwegian I needed to know about Norwegian and also my own language, English. .... 

Many English words actually come from old Norse language – brought by Vikings to England in medieval times. Here are some words you have probably uttered without realising you are speaking Norwegian!"

http://mylittlenorway.com/2009/09/how-vikings-changed-the-english-language-intro/

http://mylittlenorway.com/2009/01/how-vikings-shaped-the-english-language/