Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

Hamburg to Berlin in a Messerschmitt Me 264

No, it’s not a typo. I don’t mean the 262, I mean the 264.

Here is a bit of history about this interesting plane: It was a long-range strategic bomber, who’s design went back to Messerschmitt’s first such project, the P.1061 from 1937. The first prototype Me 264 V1 with four Jumo engines was flown in Dec. 1942, six such planes were supposed to be built. The second version was powered by stronger BMW engines and had its inaugural flight in 1943. Soon thereafter construction of this plane was stopped, interest had shifted to the competing Heinkel He 277. Three planes had been built, the last one not yet fully finished. All three were destroyed in a bomb raid in July 1944.

The design of the fuselage resembles somewhat the one of the larger B-29

1.jpg

So much for the facts. Now comes the fictional part of our little story.

Two of the prototypes were actually not destroyed, but survived the raid intact. In the mid-1950s they were discovered in an abandoned shelter in Bavaria. The Luftwaffe, short of powerful long-range transport planes, decided to make both Me 264 fully airworthy again. This was accomplished in 1959. And here is one of them in all its glory:

2.jpg

Some forty years later, both planes were given to the Luftwaffe Museum in Berlin (now known as the Bundeswehr Museum for Military History). As the museum was financially not able to keep both planes fully airworthy, it was decided to sell one of them. It serves now as flying museum, but with a new, private livery and registration.

Considered large in the 1940s, the Me now looks smallish, when parked next to modern jets. This plane will be our ride for today.

3.jpg

There is hardly any better view available in a plane

4.jpg

Oh, I forgot, the Me has one, well…somewhat unique feature. THIS:

5.jpg

The wheel well was too small for these oversized tires, so engineers came up with the idea that the two outer ones would be dropped after take-off. The idea behind it was that the plane, when coming back from its mission, would be much lighter, so it could easily land on just two main wheels.

Cruising over beautiful Hamburg

6.jpg

And now it’s off to Berlin

7.jpg

8.jpg

We cross over Lake Arend near Salzwedel

11d4675.jpg

The cabin came with bunk beds and a small kitchen for the crew

9.jpg

10b1533.jpg

Finally we have reached the outskirts of Berlin

12622f0.jpg

Lots of interesting things to see. Behind the plane is the TV tower and the “Red City Hall”, home to the Berlin city government and the mayor of Berlin. Further to the right across the river Spree one can detect the Berlin City Palace, originally built in the 15th century and home to the Prussian kings. It's the large yellowish building with green roof and a tower on its right side. It was heavily damaged during WWII air raids and demolished in the 1950s. In 2013 it was decided to fully rebuild it again from scratch. It is supposed to be finished by 2019.

13.jpg

On our way to Tegel airport, we fly along river Spree and will soon come to the site of the German government buildings

14.jpg

When you look above the plane’s left wing, you can see in the upper part of the picture the German Reichstag building, first opened in 1894. It now is home to the German parliament. The huge bluish building further to the right is Berlin’s main train station. It came after a long reconstruction process into full operation in May 2006.

15.jpg

Prepare for landing at Berlin Tegel

16.jpg

17.jpg

We are left with only two main wheels

18.jpg

I hope you liked my little story that could have never happened in the real world

• Upvote 3

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Beautiful long range aircraft were part of the Amerika Bomber project to take off from the Azores and deliver Atomic bombs to New York...also the He 277....outstanding shots!

HLJAMES

Thanks a lot, gents, for your kind comments

Beautiful long range aircraft were part of the Amerika Bomber project to take off from the Azores and deliver Atomic bombs to New York...also the He 277....outstanding shots!

HLJAMES

Maybe not atomic bombs yet, HL. In those days the Germans luckily did not have the capabilities to develop atomic weapons 

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Wonderful tour of Berlin, your story added a lot to the experience. The wingspan on that ship is incredible. 

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

I can't help but wonder what the good citizens of Berlin (or anywhere else come to that) thought about those big wheels crashing through their roofs.  Nice bit of history and fiction too.

..and I thought the 163 Komet was bad for leaving its trolley whizzing down the airfield, but turning huge aeroplane mainwheels into impromptu bouncing bombs takes the biscuit!

Wonderful piece of fiction and wonderful aircraft models! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

...but turning huge aeroplane mainwheels into impromptu bouncing bombs takes the biscuit!

:smile:  :smile:  :smile:

about those big wheels crashing through their roofs.

Presumably they were dropped immediately after take-off.

Presumably they were dropped immediately after take-off.

You are right, Sascha. They had a lever on the flightdeck that released the outer wheels as soon as they got airborn. They would be collected from airport/Luftwaffe personnel and re-used again. I decided to wait instead, because I wanted to show you this neat effect with a bit more drama  :wink:

• Upvote 1