Sign in to follow this  
MM

Mariachi, Mole and Mexico

Mariachi, Mole and Mexico

This week we shall fly through central Mexico. With a population of 120 million, this is the 11th most populous country in the world. It is classified as a "upper-middle income" country that is now "newly industrialized." By mid-century, it could become the world's fifth largest economy. It is of course a land of social and geographic contrasts.

We start at Guadalajara (MMGL), Mexico's industrial Second City and the urban birthplace of mariachi music. We fly south past the hot Colima Volcano [COLIMA] and descend to nearby Colima Airport (MMIA). We then proceed into the state of Michoacán and stop at both Uruapan (MMPN) and the larger Morelia (MMMM). Next we enter the Valley of Mexico (the floor at 7,300ft) and land at Mexico City (MMMX). The capital's urban area constitutes the hemisphere's largest metropolitan area. If you seek natural and architectural beauty, a deep cultural heritage, modern high rise centers of 21st century commerce…or crime and pollution, it is all here.

We then head eastward past Iztaccihautl Volcano and stop briefly at the automobile manufacturing city Puebla (MMPB) which is also home of the world famous mole poblano. Turning west past Popocatepetl Volcano, we end at the delightful "City of Eternal Spring" Cuernavaca (MMCB).

CS_MMPM_Volcanoes.jpg

The route is 440nm so an aircraft capable of 220 kts will allow us to complete the journey in good time. I shall fly the Carenado Pilatus PC12.  A Beech Duke or King Air, a Socata TBM850, a Piper Meridian, a Cessna 414 or 441, or perhaps a Cessna Mustang or Embraer Phenom, would be suitable. Warbirds are welcome. As ever you are free to fly what you like.

The flightplans for Plan-G and FSX as well as a "Pilots' Guide" can be found here.

Recommended scenery. Orbx Global and Orbx OpenLC North America.

Without effort, the airports are default. Those who would like something more interesting might wish to install the following airports by Fernando Angel Gonzalez. These are decent freeware sceneries that resemble, but are not replicas of, the actual airports. (Think Orbx freeware airports.) The recommended airports are all at FlightSim.com. You should search for the filename listed for each.

Guadalajara (MMGL). mmgl_guadalajara_mx_v2_0.zip (#)

Colima (MMIA). mmia_colima-mex.zip

Morelia (MMMM). mmmm_morelia_francisco_mujica_mex.zip (#)

Puebla (MMMB). mmpb_puebla_mex_v2_0.zip

Cuernavaca (MMCB). mmcb_cuernavaca_mx.zip

(#) DX10 users may wish to delete or disable the small scenery files "MMGL manchas*.bgl" and "MMGL marcas*.bgl" and "MMMM marks*.bgl" where * is a wildcard. These oil spills do not work as intended in this setup.

Date and time: October 15 2016, 1800 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron. Please set server time to 14:00 Local.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

A beautiful presentation if I might say so. Thank you brother Mike. I shall drag out my trusty IV-P.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Quick PS.
If you have Orbx Vector, please turn OFF the AEC for Cuernavaca (MMCB). This will be our final gathering point and it would be more fun if we are all at the same level.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Looks great - time to get my TBM polished up and ready to go  :smile:

Bert

Been back from Utah/California for 5 days and haven't had the time to fire up flightsim, family visits, post clean up, cateloging all the photos and backup, paying the bills, organizing next weeks "stuff", some plumbing upgrades, final kitchen counter upgrade, propane order, mowing lawns...blah, blah...never ending.

Then I see there are more updates for all sorts of stuff, a large conflab about the GTN, and as of this morning its been updated again. Gees.

Cripes, I don't know where to start.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Re GTN, we discussed importing flightplans.

Not sure what format this is.. maybe someone recognizes it:

FPN/RI:F:KTEB:F:LGA:F:JFK:F:HOFFI:F:HTO:F:MONTT:F:OFTUR:F:KMVY

Click on “File” -> “Save” and type KTEB-KMVY.gfp into the filename input field. You can choose whatever filename you like. However, I would recommend to use the ICAO name of the departure and arrival airport. It’s only important that you save the file with a “.gfp” extension. If you are using FSX save the file in the following folder:
… \ Microsoft Flight Simulator X \ F1GTN \ FPL

Bert

On the Mexico flight [MMGL-MMCB], we surely missed Roman's artistry. Here is one shot of some of the gaggle: Gunter and Ron (Lancair IVP), Nick (B200), Mike (PC12), and Jeff (B200) heading out of Morelia for Mexico City. (The wingtip belongs to Bert and his TBM850.)

CS_MMMX_Gang.jpg

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1