Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

What software got you hooked on Flight Sim?

After looking at some neat old DOS sims over on a social media site, I thought: "What sim/software really got me hooked into flight simulation?"

For me it was playing Microprose's F19 Stealth Fighter.  I believe it was released in 88.... which would put me around 5-6 years old hehe

After that I played various DOS sims, and eventually ran into MSFS 5.0 at a neighbor's house (first for dos, then later the Win95 FS95 version!)

FS98 - was the sim where I really started learning how to fly and navigate!

F19 Stealth Fighter

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I started with Pro Pilot 99 then went to FS2000, then to FS2004, then FSX, then FSX Steam and now Xplane 10 and soon going to Xplane 11.  Flight sims are just fun and I love seeing how far they have come.

F-15 Strike Eagle on the C64, Microsoft Flight Simulator (the first one.. all black and white!), Falcon 3.0 and Falcon 4.0 is when I really got excited for flying simulators!   That branched out into being a tank commander, sub commnder, Apache pilot, Starfighter pilot and then finally a commercial airline pilot.  :)

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Started with Skyfox on the Apple2:

Then I got a bootleg copy of Flight Simulator 1 and I was hooked, so I saved my allowance and bought Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 at the computer store in the mall. Took a long time to save because it cost $65 back in 1984, that was a lot of money for a 12 year old back then

Matthew Kane

I bought my first PC in late 1991, when I was 15 years old. A used 386sx25, and I had to save a long time for it!

I was never purely a flight sim only person - the very first game I bought for my 386 was Civilization... based purely on reading the box. It kept me occupied for a long, long time. But 91 was a good year for flight sims too - my initial favorites were F117A Nighthawk, and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. I have such fond memories of SWOTL. Falcon 3.0 came around that time too, but I think I might not of played it until I upgraded to a 486 a couple of years later. Oh... I was also hooked on F-15 Strike Eagle III somewhere around there too - loved the campaign mode in that one, where you had a call sign, and accrued medals.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Timex Sinclair ZX81 "The Flight Simulator" ... believe it or not. The Timex Sinclair was my first computer back in the early 80s (yeah ... I've been around a loooong time).

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

My first experience with flight sims was in the late 70's (F4 military fixed based simulator). In the 80's, was the KC-135 and B-52 military motion simulators (Singer).

F-19 Stealth Fighter for the PC was my first on a 386x16 system.

Still have these two Sega Master games before owning any computer system. 

Credit card size...

FightingFalcon1986.jpg

AfterBurner1988.jpg

Fsnavigator in 2000

My first experience with flight sims was in the late 70's (F4 military fixed based simulator). In the 80's, was the KC-135 and B-52 military motion simulators (Singer).

F-19 Stealth Fighter for the PC was my first on a 386x16 system.

Still have these two Sega Master games before owning any computer system. 

Credit card size...

FightingFalcon1986.jpg

AfterBurner1988.jpg

In fact I had afterburner on my atari St.....my god I'm dreading being 40 next year

14ppkc-6.png

747 simulator in the Spectrum, and latter FS2 in the AMIGA and then on a MAC

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The first one I ever played, was some fighter simulator on the C64. The first one I fell in love with, was Birds of Prey on Amiga (because it was so advanced):

It has to wings for me on the Amiga 500+, there was also a B17 one that you kept moving to all the crew positions to try to survive a mission. It always surprises me that no one has ever come out with a game that covers the bombing missions of ww2. there have been some that covered the odd mission but nothing fully that I know of.

I wonder if we will look back in 20 years time and wonder how we ever flew P3d or x plane with its ancient graphics?

It has to wings for me on the Amiga 500+, there was also a B17 one that you kept moving to all the crew positions to try to survive a mission. It always surprises me that no one has ever come out with a game that covers the bombing missions of ww2. there have been some that covered the odd mission but nothing fully that I know of.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/328900/

Wasn't so bad at all! Coincidentally it has 75% off til 17 October ;)

For me it was subLogic FS 1 when it in 1984 when I got my first Apple II, immediately followed by FS II.

Cheers,

Sascha