Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatcund

What software got you hooked on Flight Sim?

First time I played with a flight sim was Sublogic Flight Simulator II on the Atari ST in the late 1980's, but I didn't get "hooked" on flightsim until I got FSX in 2012. 

I believe it was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat  that on MS Dos... and then onwards I have been purchasing the MS Flight sim but I used to fly them for an hr or so and then give up... Meigs field ofcourse with those boxy buildings.

...until FS9 came along.. that was a keeper that also started my first addon aircraft (Dreamfleet's Piper) and CS's 727 which I still love to fly today... and then PMDG747 FS9. I forgot what my first addon scenery was... Maybe MS So cal photoscenery? Airport... I cannot remember. Hmmm...

Then I started flying for real...but Simming never stopped... It went full fledged..

Been downhill ever since.

:)

F18 Interceptor for the Commadore Amiga 500 back in 1988. And I have owned every version of FS since FS95 and every version of XP since XP6. Geez I just realized that I've been a flight Simmer of some sort for almost 30 years!

subLOGIC Flight Sim 1 on Apple. Keyboard flew when ever we could on the high school computers.

fs1.jpg

appleii-system.jpg

Ah that brings back fond memories ...

Ah that brings back fond memories ...

Yes it does.  The good old days??  To have two floppy drives was a cut above. If I remember correctly that set up cost over 2 grand $$$.

I think my first one was MS Flight Sim v1.0 that my brother had on 5.25". I also remember playing Chuck Yeager's Flight Trainer along in there somewhere. The first one I really fell in love with though was SubLogic's ATP.

Psion Flight Simulator for the ZX Spectrum 48K was also my first flight simulator, but it was Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 for Commodore Amiga 500 that got me hooked into the world of flight simulation.

I believe it was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat  that on MS Dos

I'm pretty sure I played that one too!

Great thread! I was a 7 or 8 when I used Psion Flight Simulator in a ZX81 I inherited from my grandfather (he hated the thing and gave it to me!). It ran from a cassette player and took forever to load.

But what got me really hooked was SoloFlight and FS2 in my beloved Apple IIe.

Then it was subLogic ATP, which to me was a game changer!!!

cheers

-E

I think my first intro to FS was FS95 but the first flight simulator I ever really got addicted to was Jane's F15. For a game that's almost 20 years old, the visuals were/are pretty stunning for its time (Google image search it).

Well well, i think my first approach to simming (if you can call it that way) was F-19 too.

But 2 games i remember with a little nostalgia, before stepping into FS were:

ATP Airline Transport Pilot (from 1990) and A320 from 1991/92, in my beloved monochromatic monitor of 14". :P

Nice old memories!!

Cheers

For me it started with the original version of Flight Simulator for the IBM PC in 1982. Floppy disk based (5 1/4" single-sided, 180K) with I recall four flying regions in the USA with a tightly limited number of airports, and also a small grid of a playing field for air to air combat with a Sopwith Camel. That and successive releases kept me interested. But the simulator that totally captivated me, perhaps forever, was subLogic's Flight Assignment:ATP.  Larger well modeled aircraft. The entire USA including all published approaches into airports, ATC that iHMO is still not replicated within the code of any subsequent simulator. Ability to configure weather and winds aloft, though in that day in the early 1990's took some time before each flight. And an extensive set of flight assignments with post flight scoring on proficiency, navigation, both lateral and vertical, and fuel burn efficiency.  It was also the platform for the first virtual airline, Sun Air, founded based on Flight Assignment:ATP on the Prodigy online service.

Who could make all that up?

Falcon of the AtariST blew me away.

As did Tomahawk on the ZX Spectrum. Looking at it now makes you realise how much your imagination came into play to fill in the graphical gaps.

MicroProse Solo Flight (1983) & SubLOGIC Flight Simulator II (1984) for Commodore 64, and I was 29 - 30 years young.  Man, that seems like a long time ago.  Yep, I guess it was.

Yes!  I started with Solo Flight on the Atari 800 and then progressed to Flight Simulator II. (Still have the box on my shelf)

There was a Silicon Graphics computer at my dad's office around the mid 80's.  Silicon Graphics had a simulator then that was very well made.

After looking at some neat old DOS sims over on a social media site, I thought: "What sim/software really got me hooked into flight simulation?"

For me it was playing Microprose's F19 Stealth Fighter.  I believe it was released in 88.... which would put me around 5-6 years old hehe

After that I played various DOS sims, and eventually ran into MSFS 5.0 at a neighbor's house (first for dos, then later the Win95 FS95 version!)

FS98 - was the sim where I really started learning how to fly and navigate!

F19 Stealth Fighter

Outstanding. I didn't think anyone remembered this game but me. I put a ton of time in it although I was not very good at the realistic landings (I still suck at landing) I used to load up on ammo and mavericks and go across enemy lines and blow up everything I could find for max score then fly back over base and eject to safety. Yes I lost points for not landing but all the extra targets I hit raised my score and I got the medal of honor once. Think I retired as a colonel. There was a large book that came with the game about how to avoid the radars etc. Really enjoyed it and then pmdg 737ngx years later pulled me back in to flight simulation. 

FS98-taking the first lesson and being awestruck at the instructor's voice-"try and track the runway centreline".

Jay

Microsoft Flight Simulator for Apple Macintosh, April 1986.  Had bought a Mac for other reasons but was really upset there was no version of Flight Simulator for it.  Walked into the Rand McNally store on Sixth Avenue in Manhattan and saw the package - just like the "IBM Compatible" version but in red, not blue.  Moment of cognitive dissonance - I had no idea it was coming out, and it took me a minute to realize that yes, that was actually a Mac version of Flight Simulator I was looking at. Ran it to the cash register before I could find out it wasn't real.

Loved it.  In some ways, I think I got more enjoyment out of that version than anything that came after - just the mere fact that I could run Flight Simulator was amazing.  Did my first "networked" flight later that year - I met a guy on CompuServe's AvSIG, and we arranged to fly from separate destinations to Martha's Vineyard.  We flew at the same time, "met" in CompuServe chat, then flew back.  What passed for online flying in those days.

After that I started working my way through Charles Gulick's Great Flight Simulator Adventures books.

I still have the package on my bookshelf.

apple-macintosh-microsoft-flight-sim-sof

fs1-mac-1.gif

After trying Flight Simulator on the PCJr, it was SubLogic's Flight Assignment:ATP that really got me hooked, complete with navigation charts and a nifty 3d cockpit upgrade option. 

I still have the manual  :smile:

After that, Propilot and Fly! and then FS98/2000/2004/FSX..

Alan,

Microsoft for the Mac was the first simulator I figured out that you could fly from the LA map area to the San Fran map area in the Lear Jet.  I would turn north from LA and then dead recon for a while until picking up a VOR on the San Francisco chart.

Alan,

Microsoft for the Mac was the first simulator I figured out that you could fly from the LA map area to the San Fran map area in the Lear Jet.  I would turn north from LA and then dead recon for a while until picking up a VOR on the San Francisco chart.

I remember that!  It was a lot of fun to fly from one urban "island" to another.  Actually, given the state of the graphics, the empty spaces weren't all that different from the detailed areas.  I got good at instrument flying really fast, because there wasn't all that much you could do by way of VFR.

Another Mac artifact - in spite of my screenshot, Meigs wasn't the default airport.  It was 27R at KOAK.  I'm probably one of the few simmers out there that isn't nostalgic for Meigs, because I hardly ever flew there.  It was Bay Area all the time, such as it was...

i was about 8 yrs old back in 1997. My dad boight me a peice of software called "747 Jumbo." it was an addon for FS98 for the 747 100 and 200 variants. At the time, my dad and i realized once we got home that we had to get fs98 for it to work so we ended up going back a couple days later and picked up fs98. Since then, ive been hooked.

It was back around late 1996 early 1997 I got introduced to Jane's combat simulations ATF on msdos by a friend. Since then I was hooked and look back with very fond memories. Then eventually I saved up all my pocket money and got Fighters Anthology on Windows 95 when my dad got my first pc.

For MS Flight simulator I also remember fondly of a mathematics tutor at the time was quite an avid flight simulator enthusiast, as he would let me try out his FS 95 after tuition, through FS95 I remember he would setup a scenario where we'd work out time and distance using long multiplication and division to make it more interesting. Since then I have just embraced everything related to aviation.

What got me hooked? F19! My friend's mother worked the technology center at a college hospital. He fired up F19 and I was stunned! Eventually I got it for myself and I played the living heck out of it. (Mavericks and AMRAAMs were OP tho :) ) I played it so often (at horrible frame rates) that I started planning my missions and then, for the challenge, I wanted picture perfect landings.

Having played F19 and deciding I wanted to be an airline pilot, my next major sim was FA: ATP. The cover of my manual turned from brown to white in some spots as I tried to learn and teach myself everything. At the time I was working for American and found a pilot who gave me some of the NAT planning maps. So, of course, i tried to replicate it using the 767 (I think i did well, as the scenery didn't give you much clue where you were). Next I tried to learn the approach charts on my own. Did a fairly good job. I bought my AIM as a part of flight school and I read the crap out of that and tried to fly more professionally (lol).

In both cases, I played with horrid frames. Maybe that's where I built up my tolerance (or if you prefer, lowered expectations) for bad FPS. However, those days of just popping in a flying were some of my fondest memories. It was before real life (and cfg tweeks!) began.  :sad: