Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

What is this i7 10core 6950x?

I am looking at eventually building a new PC, and I have noticed there are quite a few CPU to choose from these days. Ive been out the loop a few years now.

What is the best CPU to use, for X-plane 10 and soon to be 11......

I see the most expensive one I can purchase seems to be this 10 core 6950x ?

Is this what I should get?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

X-Plane 10 still heavily depends on the power of a single core. It will probably be the same at the start of X-Plane 11 cycle, until the transition to Vulkan at least.

The best way to chose a CPU is to look at some single-thread benchmark:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singlethread.html

You see there that the 6950x is not near the top of the list, therefore probably not a very good choice.

Many people bought an i7-6700K (I did), and it works great with X-Plane.

Cheers,

Pascal

I see the most expensive one I can purchase seems to be this 10 core 6950x ?

Is this what I should get?

No.   It will not benefit you.  In fact it will hamper you because for simming a faster clock speed is more desirable then 10 cores which won't be used properly by the sim in the first place.   When it comes time to Overclock that beast you will have the battle of getting a high OC because ALL 10 cores HAVE to run at that speed you want or the system will become unstable.    The level of voltage and the heat build up of a 6700k vs. 6950X is a huge difference.    Is the 6950X more powerful than say a 6700K, yes.   But that power cannot be harnessed by the sim.

I think you'd be better off with a 4-core i5 or i7 if you want the extra hmpf in processing for streaming or video editing.    It is much easier to overclock a 4-core over a 10-core.   At least that is my understanding from all I have read because I have started research into components for my next simulator PC build and I too looked at the 6950.   More expensive does not always equal better in the computer hardware universe.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Seriously consider Skylake. Or if you're okay waiting till just after Christmas, Kaby Lake. Won't be loads faster, but if not in a hurry may as well wait.

Thank you, now just to consider a curved monitor.

My roomie has the Acer Predator 32" 100mhz G-Sync monitor and its stunning.   If I didn't like having 3 monitors so much I would get one!    I might still and use use two of current monitors as monitor 2 and 3.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Thats exactly the monitor I was looking at ! Close to £1000 though. Hope its worth it. 

I was just reading over the Laminar FB page, and they are saying get at least 6 cores on a CPU for 11? Is this correct?

Screen_Shot_2016_10_14_at_21_52_12.png