Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Lost ALL my Addons:-(

I can't believe what I've done!!

As some of you know, I've had a few health issues, and as a result,  my head is not exactly 'on track'. Well, it seems things are even worse than I thought...

I've managed to PERMANENTLY destroy almost 20 years worth of flightsim software!  ALL my downloaded payware addons have been not just deleted, but overwritten with other backup data! Including all the corresponding text files containing the serials, recepts and passwords etc.

I'll not bore you all with exactly how. Just know that I had my head up my ***** while thinking I knew what I was doing.

Every single payware addon I've purchased since buying FS2002. Plus 5 different FS platforms. Hundreds and hundreds:-/ Ho, hum.....

Looks like I'm going to be downloading stuff for the next month.

Bah effin humbug I say!!!!!!!!

Oh man that's terrible. My stomach turns thinking about it.

I recently dropped an internal HD and destroyed 17 years of professional vfx and animation work that I use to cut my demo reels. It's my entire work history. Ouch.

Although, I think I'd be even more heartbroken if I lost my addon backups lol.

On the bright side, you will end up having up-to-date installers for everything.

I know your pain Phil, did the same thing a few years ago when I destroyed a backup of all my addons.  I looked upon it as a message and realized that I would be downloading updated versions of my original downloads, not a bad thing is it?  Hang in there, the power is in your hands now, you can decide truly what you really want to keep.

\Robert Hamlich/

I can't believe what I've done!!

As some of you know, I've had a few health issues, and as a result,  my head is not exactly 'on track'. Well, it seems things are even worse than I thought...

I've managed to PERMANENTLY destroy almost 20 years worth of flightsim software!  ALL my downloaded payware addons have been not just deleted, but overwritten with other backup data! Including all the corresponding text files containing the serials, recepts and passwords etc.

I'll not bore you all with exactly how. Just know that I had my head up my ***** while thinking I knew what I was doing.

Every single payware addon I've purchased since buying FS2002. Plus 5 different FS platforms. Hundreds and hundreds:-/ Ho, hum.....

Looks like I'm going to be downloading stuff for the next month.

Bah effin humbug I say!!!!!!!!

Been there done that, Phil. I'm thankful for cloud repositories; all my important data is saved there now. I'm sure you'll be able to download all the current software from the distributors; thankfully, SIMMARKET doesn't place a moratorium on downloads. PC Aviator you simply have to email. When possible, I always try to buy from those brokers for just that reason. Good luck with recovering all your relevant files; more importantly, I hope you feel better soon!

Matt King

My biggest problem will be trying to remember everything I had.

Since I started again a few months back I save every email I get from purchases so I will know what I have should something happen.  Although it is a massive pain to redownload everything!  I would lose my mind if I lost it all.  What a pain to try to remember what I had and reach out to support for serials!

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

Dougal,

why simply not start from a clean install of a new sim ?

X-Plane 11 is about to be released, comes with a few interesting features and default aircraft, and is one of the civil flightsims of the future at the moment.

It is extremelly easy to install ( and in my case uninstall too :-) ) and no fuss with registry when installing, the sim and most of the add-ons, even payware, with just a few exceptions.

Graphically this new version shows a lot of potential.

I suppose a medium rig will suffice to run it.  XP10 ran ok in my i5 2500 from early 2011...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have (had) X-plane 10 and, were it not for the crazy mouse control, I'd love it.

Lesson learned: backup your stuff on regular intervalls.

Sorry to hear Phil. I am a stickler for backing up my hoard as well. We can make our own fool proof systems but one slip up and this can happen. I feel your pain

Matthew Kane

My biggest problem will be trying to remember everything I had.

Why would you have to remember? Can't you just login to every store you purchased from and see your purchase history..? Plus you probably got email from each store/purchase.

Ouch.  I feel for you.    I cannot stress enough how important it is to at least back up all those receipts if you guys aren't doing so already.   I have all my purchases from various sim stores stored in a Flight Sim e-mail folder and that folder is backed up in the cloud so if I ever wipe out my universe I can at least redownload all the software from various locations and I have all the keys to the toys. 

I shall light a candle for you and your loss.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Yep, me too.  It's a nice t-shirt though...

I switched over to Macrium Reflect a few years ago (free for home use) and recently said to heck with the images, I just run a clone every few days, that way if I mess up anything while testing software (I try not to let it happen, but it can) I just reboot to the cloned drive and off I go...

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

My biggest problem will be trying to remember everything I had

If  you know  the  stores where you have  purchased  from just go  to  your account  and  the download  and  serial nuumbers  will  be  listed

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

This is one reason that I love buying my addons from Simmarket, whenever they are available there.

Simmarket is like having a cloud server with all of your payware addons. Anything that you buy from them is kept forever and your downloads have a great search engine available to find anything.  If I type in LatinVFR in the search box, everything that I've bought from them is listed and ready to download again.

I never buy from an online store that doesn't save my downloads for easy access.

I have downloads from 2007 on Simmarket.  Even stuff that is not available anymore, but they still keep my download purchase.

I'm really sorry to hear that you have lost your addons.  The worst part is loosing your order numbers and serial keys.

If you use Google mail, you can search through your mail and get most of your order numbers and keys back.