Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

GTN 650-750 update

A couple of points here before this thread goes over the edge and gets locked. The real world GTN units have this database limitation. Hence the trainer is going to have this "feature" also.

And asking for detailed instructions as to how to mod Garmin's trainer is not going to sit well with Flight1. Use Google or PM someone who has done the editing.

Thanks Bob for the info! Appreciate it! :)

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Can the GTN Trainer Lite folders holding saved GTN flight plan catalogs be used with the new trainer.  In 1.14 and earlier they are stored in the folders seen below.  I believe the GTN1nonvol are plans saved using the trainer standalone, and that 2 and 3 are created abd used by F1 GTN gauges 1 and 2 to save the flight plan catalogs.

GTN%20Trainer%20Files.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Dear Garmin NavData subscriber,

We regret to inform you the Worldwide NavData service you subscribe to will need to be modified to account for a sizing limitation. Effective Cycle 1602, airports with runways of 4000ft or less will be removed from the database. Heliports will also be removed.

While it's not an acceptable excuse, the oversizing of the Worldwide database caught both Garmin and Jeppesen by surprise. The volume of procedures submitted by global source providers has been growing at a rapid pace. Several options were evaluated as to what to do to quickly mitigate the sizing issue.

None were perfect, but the decision was made to limit included airports to the 4,000ft runway length and above. For all systems except the Garmin 400W/500W series, the revised Worldwide databases will be implemented in cycle 1602 effective Feb. 4, 2016.

Unfortunately, for the Garmin 400W/500W series, the oversize happened sooner and too quickly to allow for an advance notice and had to be executed in cycle 1601. Attached is the official service advisory published by Garmin, which includes the list of affected avionics.

At Jeppesen we are working to provide an option to Worldwide database subscribers to have access to multiple regionalized versions of the database, which will include access to all airports, including those with runways less than 4000ft and heliports. We are working quickly to get this option in place.

Note that no airport content restrictions exist in any of the smaller, regionalized databases such as Americas, International, USA, etc. Those databases will remain unchanged.

We are committed to working with each of you impacted to find an acceptable solution. Again, on behalf of Jeppesen and Garmin, we apologize for the impact. The only way to continue with any type of Worldwide service is to restrict the size of airports included in that service. We will be conducting a post analysis to identify how to prevent this situation from happening in the future as well as improved communication.

Sincerely,

Jeppesen

We need another thread started...if this one gets closed.

We should not have to pay for Jeppeson/Garmin incompetences, nor the perpetuation of same through F1.

Chas

• Upvote 2

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

We should not have to pay for Jeppeson/Garmin incompetences, nor the perpetuation of same through F1.

You don't have to - no one is forcing you to buy the product.

As I have said time and time again - this is realism - this is the real world.

So it's either one or the other, either worldwide package that will limit airports to runways with 4000ft or more, or have regional databases which include everything

That's pretty well it. You have to think, in the real world, how many aircraft owners would subscribe to a world-wide package? To those that do (and I would be suggesting some pretty well off owners or charter companies) would see this as the cost of doing business.

To the rest of us who own aircraft, we would be mostly using regional packages (in my case "Pacific", I think it's called).

Simmers are delving into the real world here. Garmin/Jepp don't do their business to suit simmers, there are bigger, much bigger, fish to fry out there.

In the real world, I would like Garmin to upgrade their GTN software for BARO/VNAV as we have no WAAS in Australia - but that is not a priority for Garmin as they tend to focus more on the USA, and there is not much need for that when LPV's are available. So I have to wait and hope.

David Porrett

You don't have to - no one is forcing you to buy the product.

I have owned the FT1 GTN750 since it came out... and I expect FT1 to provide solutions to a diminished product.

As I have said time and time again - this is realism - this is the real world.

...and owners of real world GTN 750s at $14,000 each, should be livid at the incompetence of either or both Jefferson and Garmin for not managing their rather simple database...this isn't rocket science...its rather basic RDBM ..

This screw-up was no surprise to ANYONE who has heard of ICAO ...a simple Excel trendline shows when the limits of their outdated Database would be hit...Hint:At least last January, 2016 if not earlier.

That's pretty well it. You have to think, in the real world, how many aircraft owners would subscribe to a world-wide package? To those that do (and I would be suggesting some pretty well off owners or charter companies) would see this as the cost of doing business.

To the rest of us who own aircraft, we would be mostly using regional packages (in my case "Pacific", I think it's called).

Simmers are delving into the real world here. Garmin/Jepp don't do their business to suit simmers, there are bigger, much bigger, fish to fry out there.

But F1 has the due diligence of;

1. Giving us the real, TIMELY poop re the Pros and Cons of upgrading up front when the Upgrade was announced. And;

2. Giving us "purchasers" of the F1 GTNX50, the apparent and easy choice of what databases it makes available

In the real world, I would like Garmin to upgrade their GTN software for BARO/VNAV as we have no WAAS in Australia - but that is not a priority for Garmin as they tend to focus more on the USA, and there is not much need for that when LPV's are available. So I have to wait and hope.

Ultimately, we that are not RW flyers can't expect ANYTHING from JEP/Garmin; WE... must depend on F1's transparent representation of the GTN x50, we purchased, and our polite, but firm demand for timely, pre-release notification, of updates and the effects we should expect therefrom.

Chas

• Upvote 3

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

notification, of ...the effects we should expect therefrom.

I think this is the important part, Flight1 can't control what Garmin Jeppeson do, but they can easily inform us what the practical effects of any upgrade they recommend will be....and possibly they could even provide the details of how any newly imposed limitations can be legally worked around?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I have owned the FT1 GTN750 since it came out... and I expect FT1 to provide solutions to a diminished product.

But F1 has the due diligence of;
1. Giving us the real, TIMELY poop re the Pros and Cons of upgrading up front when the Upgrade was announced. And;
2. Giving us "purchasers" of the F1 GTNX50, the apparent and easy choice of what databases it makes available

Ultimately, we that are not RW flyers can't expect ANYTHING from JEP/Garmin; WE... must depend on F1's transparent representation of the GTN x50, we purchased, and our polite, but firm demand for timely, pre-release notification, of updates and the effects we should expect therefrom.

I guess you must have missed this part of the upgrade announcement at F1's GTN/GNS forum:

Ability to change between the Jeppesen Worldwide database and the Garmin North America database from within the F1 GTN Config.
Please note that the Jeppesen Worldwide database does not contain airports that have the longest runway of less than 4000 FT.

..and owners of real world GTN 750s at $14,000 each, should be livid at the incompetence of either or both Jefferson and Garmin for not managing their rather simple database...this isn't rocket science...its rather basic RDBM ..

I don't really understand why you would think real customers should be "livid". As I said before, I would venture to suggest most users of worldwide databases would have deep pockets to the extent that this issue is insignificant i.e. corporate or higher customers. For the rest of us, a regional database would do the job. I don't undertsand how you come to that conclusion.

David Porrett

I guess you must have missed this part of the upgrade announcement at F1's GTN/GNS forum:

Ability to change between the Jeppesen Worldwide database and the Garmin North America database from within the F1 GTN Config.

Please note that the Jeppesen Worldwide database does not contain airports that have the longest runway of less than 4000 FT.

Come on David, do you really expect us to carefully read announcements?? :P On a serious note, you are absolutely right about everything you said on the matter.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

We need another thread started...if this one gets closed.

Chas

You do realize that whining about reality in this forum will get you very little. Perhaps complaining in the Flight1 forae would be more productive, but I doubt it.

DJ

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive and unneeded quoted text.

Come on David, do you really expect us to carefully read announcements?? :P On a serious note, you are absolutely right about everything you said on the matter.

Ahhhh I see, we need to go to the forum to read the caveats...before downloading an upgrade, prudent in this case, perhaps, but should hardly be a requisite for updating a product you already own...

and curiously no info from F1 as to how to retrofit the previous Un-compromised version in that forum

You do realize that whining about reality in this forum will get you very little.

Perhaps complaining in the Flight1 forae would be more productive, but I doubt it.

Whining?...Pretty prejudicial, doncha think...read the plea....F1 is culpable, only because we have no recourse with JEPP/Garmin albeit they were the cause of the problem...therefore we must look for solutions from F1 was precisely my point...if you would simply read... For us simmers it is a Flight1 issue.

So, having made the points I wanted to....I believe it's silly to respond to the "Whiney Sayers"....with any but concrete remedies to the problem.

...so onward to the solution providers like BobSk8 et al, and hopefully F1's clientele if not F1 themselves.

Regards,

Chas

and curiously no info from F1 as to how to retrofit the previous Un-compromised version in that forumprecisely my point...if you would simply read... For us simmers it is a Flight1 issue.

If you have a copy of GTN 1.14 and the older Garmin Trainer, you can simply uninstall the newer version und reinstall the older one.

Dear Garmin NavData subscriber,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before, but for the new Garmin Trainer with limited airports in the worldwide database, you can always use the database you like from the previous version, rename the file and substitute the one into the DB folder of the new PC Trainer. In this way you'll be using the new GTN 1.16/1.17 with a complete database for the world.

Bert from here (Avsim) could give more details to those interested (PM him).

Cheers, Ed

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote!

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Ahhhh I see, we need to go to the forum to read the caveats...before downloading an upgrade, prudent in this case, perhaps, but should hardly be a requisite for updating a product you already own...

Well, in this case you may have learned reading about an update before installing is very useful.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before, but for the new Garmin Trainer with limited airports in the worldwide database, you can always use the database you like from the previous version, rename the file and substitute the one into the DB folder of the new PC Trainer. In this way you'll be using the new GTN 1.16/1.17 with a complete database for the world.

Bert from here (Avsim) could give more details to those interested (PM him).

Cheers, Ed

Or check post #60 in this thread.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before...

Post #60 provided this information. Thanks for mentioning it again though!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator